HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:54 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Discussion
Carbon Fiber

Has anyone used carbon fiber in building CL planes?
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:24 PM
NYC
Joined Apr 2005
326 Posts
In what ways are you refering? I've used matt, rods ,tubes flats. depending on whats needed where.
bogusbob1 is offline Find More Posts by bogusbob1
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:12 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,576 Posts
Yep, many of us have, in many various ways. Carbon tows are good for reinforcing all sorts of stuff. Rods and tubes are useful for other things including control rods.

Anything particular you were thinking of ?

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:29 AM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,474 Posts
F2D combat planes are using carbon fibre trailing edge. Then kevlar cord (I think) is wrapped around the rib and over the leading and trailing edge. I think the wood trailing edge is a little better in a crash and maybe a bit lighter, but that is what is used now. They are pretty tough still.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:44 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,810 Posts
Two time F2D world champ Trifonov had planes in Spain 7 years ago that had extensive use of carbon, including a full carbon/kevlar D box and carbon centre rib. "Good for boxing" he told me.
Last year in Bulgaria he had switched to EPP leading edges.

Kaz Minato from Japan made a full carbon stunt model.
http://homepage3.nifty.com/bluemax/BMCOMP.html

F2C team race models also make extensive use of moulded carbon fuselage shells. Not sure about the wing structure.

Every glow powered stunt model I made used CF instead of plywood nose doublers, and CF/glass/balsa composite motor mounts instead of maple.

So the answer to your question is "yes"
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:00 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
My ignorance! I had no idea carbon fiber was ubiquitous in CL. Although my best flying developed in 1985, I was using the technology and skills I gained from flying with The Skyburners Model Airplane Club, outside of Los Angeles in 1975. In '76 I moved to N. Ca, and became a better flyer with no new technology. For instance, my single boomer Nemesis is built to '75 AMA rules.
We all soon learned that lightness = high performance. How best would carbon fiber be used to reinforce a single boom Nemesis to run at 140 MPH for gallons? My current plane weighs just over 8 Oz and the ST G21 Combat Special weighs 9 Oz. The plane is built from weight graded balsa, Coverite, CA glue and no carbon fiber. These planes would fly 125 MPH (with out a streamer) for gallons. BUT! The coverite seperates from the balsa around the fuel cell access hole - (at 125 MPH, the fuel line pounds that area). Many FC planes don't last 10 seconds. Mine are designed to last beaucoup gallons/flights. Where would you add carbon fiber to reinforce this proven design and how would you reinforce around the fuel cell access hole to keep Coverite from lifting there?
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer