SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:46 PM
Joined Jan 2013
16 Posts
Discussion
Champ Batteries

Hi All, we just got a horizon hobby champ. it came with the 150mha battery and we bought 2 more 160mha batteries what do you guy's do to maintain them? do you leave them fully charge or not if so how do you guy's do it? Thanks Bill
kosales is offline Find More Posts by kosales
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:06 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosales View Post
Hi All, we just got a horizon hobby champ. it came with the 150mha battery and we bought 2 more 160mha batteries what do you guy's do to maintain them? do you leave them fully charge or not if so how do you guy's do it? Thanks Bill

When I know I will be flying I recharge when I am done flying that's just me. It is winter and freezing and haven't had my champ out in weeks so I put them in storage mode since my new charger does that. Search this thread and you will find many different opinions, also congrats to getting a super plane you will love it. This thread is where you need to go regarding the champ.
Good Luck
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1216910
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:29 PM
txflyer
United States, TX, Aledo
Joined Jan 2013
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosales View Post
If I am going to fly within a week I store them at 80%. But these are my main type batts as I have alot of micro stuff. I just keep em full all the time just incase I get a minute. Keep an eye on hobbyking for batteries. My last batch of 20 was 1.57 each
amrmatt is offline Find More Posts by amrmatt
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:29 PM
United States, IL, Manteno
Joined Dec 2006
687 Posts
I do something similar to what amrmatt does except I always put my batteries in storage mode after each use.

Also, I purchased 10 G-Force batteries from Value Hobby that I use for all my micros. I marked each one with a letter and I charge as many as I need before I fly. The rest remain in storage until next time they're needed. That way all the batteries get used evenly.

The G-Force batteries are inexpensive and work as well as any similar sized battery I've used, including some expensive ones. Plus, I live in Illinois so I get them quickly!

Don
Digital Don is offline Find More Posts by Digital Don
Last edited by Digital Don; Jan 27, 2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:42 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,047 Posts
Like I said.. Many different opinions..I can buy a 160 lipo from my LHS for 4 bucks...If get 30 flights for 4 dollars that pretty good IMO. It really up to you how you want to store the battery...
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:05 AM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,393 Posts
I store them ready to fly knowing that they would have better life in storage mode. Life is short and it's time to fly!
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:39 AM
United States, OH, Strongsville
Joined Nov 2000
2,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petefoss View Post
I store them ready to fly knowing that they would have better life in storage mode. Life is short and it's time to fly!
+1

At the start of the 2010 indoor season, I had a large number of batteries in various states of degradation. I purchased some $8 eflite(?) 150's that were so much better than any others I had.
At the start of the 2011 indoor season, I got 100 of the HK turnnigy 106mAh nanos. There are 5 of us who go each week and this let us all use new batteries, as well as sell (at cost) to the other pilots. Again, the new batteries showed so much better performance. We quickly abandoned all of the older batteries.
For the 2012 season, I bought 50 more, again selling many to the other pilots.

Even with shipping, and the one or two dead batteries that come with the lot, these cells run about $2 each. This is a very small fraction of the RC budget.
Vince Herman is online now Find More Posts by Vince Herman
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:15 AM
Joined Jan 2013
16 Posts
Thanks for the help. Bill
kosales is offline Find More Posts by kosales