HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2012, 04:45 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,952 Posts
Discussion
Start of Micro Voss Dr-I

My good friend and King of Tissue covering depron Speedy01(Gene) has out done himself by tissue covering a 14" WS enlarged paper model plan of Werner Voss's Dr-I 103/17 for me.

The paper plan was the 1:48 scale E-Card model you can buy on line.

Gene also baked each of the wings airfoil in his home built wing gig. So now all I have to do is put it together and add the e-gear.

The 2mm Depron tissue covered parts are only 15 gr's very light weight and the tissue adds some strength.

My friend Jin is working on some laser cut Spandaus that I hope to use on this build.

I hope I can do it justice.

Thanks Gene

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2012, 04:53 PM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,224 Posts
WOW! Pete, what can I say about your obsession whit WW I planes is this one the foam parts with the tissue on it? You're really going all out here and it's pretty cool.
NEWBEFLYER is online now Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:22 PM
amidoinitrite¿ ¿
Joined Feb 2012
13 Posts
This is gonna be an awesome build!!
R31 Mark is offline Find More Posts by R31 Mark
Old Mar 03, 2012, 09:04 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,952 Posts
Added wheel tubes so they will spin on the wire axle. I'm using the FZ cowling, fake motor (that I'll beef up), the LG struts, etc. Got the elevator cut and tape hinges on.

Gave my German mustashed pilot a shave so maybe it will look more like Voss

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Mar 03, 2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 10:40 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
I'm using the FZ cowling, fake motor (that I'll beef up), the LG struts, etc.
That looks terrific, Pete...especially the prop!

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Mar 03, 2012, 10:31 PM
No dear, That isn't New!
USA, IL, Urbana
Joined Nov 2006
820 Posts
Pete, that's going to look amazing! Printed tissue, I haven't worked up the nerve to try that yet! The beat down my wife would put on me for gumming up her printer could be ugly!! Working on my four channel now.
pattypilot is offline Find More Posts by pattypilot
Old Mar 04, 2012, 11:42 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Signing on!
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Mar 09, 2012, 07:00 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,952 Posts
Had some time to work on this bird.

Added some paint and details to the fake motor, added a ply fire wall behind the foam one and epoxied the P-51 motor/gearbox in place, made the wing struts and added some paint to them, installed the PZ brick and added lightly sanded floppy hinge material to the rudder.

Test fit all parts by eye and all looks good next, I'll add the rudder and elevator push rods and horns and get this thing together.

Pete
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:50 AM
No dear, That isn't New!
USA, IL, Urbana
Joined Nov 2006
820 Posts
Wow! very, very Nice!
pattypilot is offline Find More Posts by pattypilot
Old Mar 09, 2012, 02:46 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
Had some time to work on this bird. .....
Lookin' good, Pete.

You may want to try rubbing some pastel chalk (gray/brown/green) over the crinkled front deck.

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Mar 09, 2012, 04:22 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,952 Posts
I'll give that a try Gene but it's really not as bad as the closeup pic's make it look.

The hardest part of this so far is lining everything up by eye and mounting the P-51 motor to match the FZ fake motor and cowling.

Thanks

Pete
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:05 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,952 Posts
Got it all together and ready to test fly today. Next add rigging, guns and pilot and lots of other details.

Glide tests are very good. weight WOB = 36 grs the pilot and guns will add another 2-3 grs. Not bad as my FZ P-51 motored Dr-I flys great at 38 grs.

This build would not have happened or look so good if it were not for Speedy01, Gene's awesome resizing of the E-Cards Dr-I paper plan, tissue covering of the 2mm Depron and wing baking of all wing sets. Thank you Gene.

I'm very happy the way this bird turned out and would recommend this type of build to folks who want to try something new.

Though the tissue may have added a tad more weight to this plane I feel the extra strength gained off sets the very minor weight gain.

Pete
Old Mar 11, 2012, 08:32 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,952 Posts
Test flights outdoors yesterday and indoors last night revealed that the CG was off. I cut the fire wall bottom to move the battery forward.

I should have known to put the brick up into the cowling rather than behind the fire wall. So I have to redo it and the motor mount as I need to add additonal down thrust.

Considering those problems she flew pretty darn good but you had to be on it. I also had to adjust the wings to be sure they are all the same symmetrically.

Pete
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:34 PM
Joined Jun 2011
15 Posts
Will these ever get made into kits??

This one looks absolutely fantastic!
WonkoTehSane is offline Find More Posts by WonkoTehSane
Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:01 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,952 Posts
Well Wonko,

Technically it is a kit! It's an E-Card 1:48 scale paper model kit enlarged to 1:20th scale +- 14"WS, but no I couldn't do the great tissue covering my friend Speedy01did on this bird to make it look so good.

It is an easy conversion from paper to 2mm Depron with 1mm for the tail areas. I have a bunch of details yet to do another friend Jin is working on laser cut Spandau MG jackets for me.

Thanks,

Pete