SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:41 AM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
403 Posts
I'm probably gonna regret this, but I can't help myself.

She's gonna look like F-4C 63-7412, "We Bad", from William Tell 1984. I worked on the INS in this bird from the time we got her in the 191st until we switched to the D models.

They were, without doubt, the prettiest F-4s ever (twice voted so at W.T.) and we used to catch all kinds of flack from the I.G. over the shiny Air Defense Gray Imron paint jobs.
Bob Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Bob Hunt
Last edited by Bob Hunt; Jun 27, 2012 at 09:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:15 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,568 Posts
Nice job on the MLGs. The electrics look like they'll work well.

With a smog-grey paint job, plan to keep the jet close in...
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:12 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
403 Posts
Your'e right, the closer the better with gray. Even shiny gray. The checkerboard on the tail and ramps, and the stars and bars will help a little, but not much. Fortunately we have trees at both ends of the field, so that I'll have some contrast on takeoff and final.

I'm only going to fly this bird at the two paved fields close to home- a 300 foot runway in Midland, MI (where I'm a member) and the full size strip in Thompsonville that we get to use twice a year for the airshow.

None of the grass strips near here are suitable- too bumpy and a real risk of FOD. At 43,000 rpm, I don't want even a grain of sand to get in the intakes. Gonna start carrying a broom, along with my folding chair.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:45 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hunt View Post
Sticking the parts to glass over the plans has to be one of the slickest techniques I've run across. Beats hell out of cleaning wax paper from the parts.
Another slick trick with glass is to use some type of clear plastic wrap stuck to the glass to keep the parts from sticking too well to the glass.

I usually use Saran Wrap. No glue is needed because it has 14.7 PSI pressing it to the glass. Often, you can easily remove the part by simply peeling up the plastic wrap.

I'll be following your build.

Daren
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren
Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:28 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
403 Posts
Daren:

Gluing directly to the glass seems to work ok. When it came time to remove one of the wing panels from the glass, I soaked a q tip in acetone and swabbed it on both sides of rib tabs, then used a steel ruler as kind of a drift to knock the tabs loose.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 04:01 AM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,391 Posts
Howz the Family!

Good to see another Phantom on the boards.(glass) You won't be sorry for selecting this kit, Bob. And your doing a great job.

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:21 PM
Yank Pilot
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,698 Posts
Wow, this is tough. I'm sort of where Bob is at, having built a few ARF's many kits and a few scratch builds. A couple of high performance airplanes including HOB (Uravitch A-7 Corsair II. Boy, that was a lead sled. I'm torn between Dan's beautiful F-4 and the on the drawing broads, wowplanes T-38. Decisions, decisions. Much to learn.

Randy
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:36 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,122 Posts
That's good info, Bob.

Daren
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:24 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
403 Posts
I hope you guys don't get impatient. The good flying weather is here, and I'm either down at the club field or Lake Cadillac whenever I can.

5 flights today- 1 on the Pulse 25e float plane; 2 on "Snoopy" (G60 electric Sopwith Camel) and 2 on the TRex 700E.

I was too worn out to work on 412.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 04:00 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,754 Posts
Subbed.
PikeStaff is online now Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:15 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hunt View Post
I hope you guys don't get impatient.
Nope, not at all. Take your time. As I like to say, make hay while the sun shines.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 05:00 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,391 Posts
Some bad news, Dan, Daren...launching the Phantom saturday, and the bungee, for some reason did not dis-engage. It smaked nose down and broke the nose into pieces. Completely repairable. It broke only part way up the cockpit bay. But I'll need to get another glass nose for it.

Surprising, that was the only amount of damage. Light jets crash better! I think I figure out what happened. The ring attached to the hook was OK. The Tag line from the pedal shot forward and snagged the lower radome, below the nose piece. I need to attach a drag cloth to the pedal tag line for drag.

Fuzz
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:49 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Martin View Post
Some bad news, Dan, Daren...launching the Phantom saturday, and the bungee, for some reason did not dis-engage. It smaked nose down and broke the nose into pieces. Completely repairable. It broke only part way up the cockpit bay. But I'll need to get another glass nose for it.
Ouchie!

I just checked and I don't have any spares laying around to send you. If you want to order a new nose cone go to my web site and order the molded parts set ($49.99) and I'll refund you $29.99.

Dan
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:30 AM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,391 Posts
Thanx, Dan. Won't need it for a while. I'm not one to repair a plane this late in the season.

Fuzz
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:24 AM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,568 Posts
NP. Order it when you're ready.