SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:25 AM
Joined Nov 2010
287 Posts
I have used the GY48V for both the ailerons and rudder for a year now in large Pitts.......top of the mark! Cant see any reason to change. Switch them individually on or off; however using an old DX7 and Melnics video set up. Perfect.
1911tex is offline Find More Posts by 1911tex
Last edited by 1911tex; Oct 31, 2012 at 08:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:13 PM
Joined Feb 2009
314 Posts
For those interested in switching between manual, gyro stabilization or gyro stabilization with auto-levelling on a single channel, I'd recommend the OpenAero project with the KK2 board from HobbyKing.
rceccleston is offline Find More Posts by rceccleston
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:16 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rceccleston View Post
For those interested in switching between manual, gyro stabilization or gyro stabilization with auto-levelling on a single channel, I'd recommend the OpenAero project with the KK2 board from HobbyKing.
Can you buy it ready to go or do you have to do custom programming and download stuff from multiple places to get it to work?
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:41 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Can you buy it ready to go or do you have to do custom programming and download stuff from multiple places to get it to work?
Good question. There is one thing to use a stabilizer (like the Guardian by Eagletree) or make the device act like a Guardian from a board, firmware and programming skills. Too me the former is what 99% of what users want and the latter is a dream come true for 1% who are tinkerers, radio hams, builders of Heathkits, or Turnigy 9X followers.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:50 AM
Joined Feb 2009
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Additionally to the KK2 board, a cheap USBasp programmer is required from HobbyKing and a free piece of software to flash the board with OpenAero.

All the info and guides are within the first post of the thread.
rceccleston is offline Find More Posts by rceccleston
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:32 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,385 Posts
Fyi
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:08 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
Fyi
In those AMA rules:
"3. OPERATIONS – REQUIREMENTS - LIMITATIONS:
b) AMA pilots must be able to instantaneously deactivate programmed flight stabilization and
autopilot systems at any time during flight and resume manual control of the model aircraft."

If 3b includes the need to disable the tail gyro of an RC helicopter and still be able to retain control of that heli, then I am not sure that any RC heli can follow these AMA rules on aircraft.

Similarly, if 3b includes the need to disable the gyros of an RC multi-rotor copter or flybarless (FBL) helicopter and still be able to retain control of that "copter", then as far as I know, very few multi-rotor copters or FBL helicopters can follow these AMA rules.

And not that they need to follow AMA rules, but I believe that some full-scale air force fighter jets (like the F-16, as far as I know) need their gyros to be on to be controllable.

But then I am not sure if "programmed flight stabilization and autopilot systems" includes "ordinary" (rate, HH, PID and similar) gyros.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Last edited by flying-llama; Nov 02, 2012 at 03:44 AM.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:44 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
I talked to an AMA guy at a show about 3b and He said the wording was wrong and they pretty much mean auto stabilization. In other words, having the plane fly by itself by direction or attitude (2D mode). But yes, if you read it as written, some of the rate only gyros would be non-compliant. They just may not enforce it per the rules (like US Immigration). This is a good topic to get the AMA to fix the wording.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:41 AM
Chris
The Netherlands, NB, Eindhoven
Joined Sep 2010
1,871 Posts
Nice thread you got here

I'm having a spare gyro from my heli, and I'm planning to install it in my foamie Dynam PA-18 super cub for its rudder.

I've read several pages of this thread, and I can see that some of you use rate mode all around + OFF for emergencies, some use HH for takeoff and OFF for normal flying.

I would like to use HH for take-off/landing (gain set to ~20 maybe) and rate for normal flying (gain at 40-60?), as I am very bad at plane flying and this plane is pretty unstable, too. So I thought having to fight one less axis would be good.

Any thoughts on this setup?

Yes I know I won't have emergency turn-off for the gyro...
cmavr8 is offline Find More Posts by cmavr8
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:45 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
cmarv8,
Just read the rudder gyro link from this page
http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/indexnew.html
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:41 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
In those AMA rules:
"3. OPERATIONS – REQUIREMENTS - LIMITATIONS:
b) AMA pilots must be able to instantaneously deactivate programmed flight stabilization and
autopilot systems at any time during flight and resume manual control of the model aircraft."

If 3b includes the need to disable the tail gyro of an RC helicopter and still be able to retain control of that heli, then I am not sure that any RC heli can follow these AMA rules on aircraft.

Similarly, if 3b includes the need to disable the gyros of an RC multi-rotor copter or flybarless (FBL) helicopter and still be able to retain control of that "copter", then as far as I know, very few multi-rotor copters or FBL helicopters can follow these AMA rules.

And not that they need to follow AMA rules, but I believe that some full-scale air force fighter jets (like the F-16, as far as I know) need their gyros to be on to be controllable.

But then I am not sure if "programmed flight stabilization and autopilot systems" includes "ordinary" (rate, HH, PID and similar) gyros.
The way I read it, 560 only applies to airplanes, and not heli's/multicopters. Based on what is in paragraph 3d. I think you guys are right though, it does need to be re-written, with subsections for fixed winged, heli's, and multicopters. A multicopter with a disabled stabilization unit would be un-flyable.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:01 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
The way I read it, 560 only applies to airplanes, and not heli's/multicopters. ...
One thing I noticed about 560, it always uses the word "aircraft", as opposed to "airplane", which sort of makes it sound to me that it is trying to cover all flying things.

One thing about rule 3b. It mentions that
"AMA pilots must be able to instantaneously deactivate ... and resume manual control of the model aircraft."

All the accelerometers and rate, headhold, etc. gyros that I deal or plan to deal with can be "instantly" overridden by manually moving the appropriate Tx control stick to change the heading, orientation relative to gravity, etc. That is, I am there to notice emergency situations and can "instantly" (as "instant" as my dumb thumbs are) exert manual control over the aircraft when needed.
So while the stabilization and autopilot systems are not fully deactivated (in my view), this manual control to override them may count as a form of "instant" (partial) deactivation, which may (or may not) be the intent of this rule 3b.
Anyways, law was not my major
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Last edited by flying-llama; Nov 03, 2012 at 02:22 AM.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:10 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,636 Posts
I've been playing with an IMU for stabilization. I had to learn quite a bit and have it working nicely now and yes I crashed during the development process due to BEC problems. I have manual input at all times, but it will fly itself and I can turn it off completely. If It accepts my stick inputs even while stabilizing, is that considered manual control?
HELModels is offline Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:10 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,626 Posts
I have a PC 21 foam plane by E-Scale and want to install a G48v Gyro from Detrum. I have a 6 channel receiver and a DX6i TX. In addition, my model has retractable gears and flaps in addition to the ailerons, elevator and rudder.

How can I hook up the Gyro to this setup? Do I really need the gain connection? I seem to recall on helis you can set teh gain and then discoonect the wire. Is that true? Please let me know as I am very anxious to get this gyro setup since the PC 21 has a nasty torque roll on takeoffs due to a 5 bladed prop.

Thanks!!
captain MoMo is offline Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by captain MoMo; Nov 13, 2012 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Error
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:01 AM
United States, MA, Framingham
Joined Sep 2010
63 Posts
Hi,

I have a Detrum GY48V gyro on my Parkzone Extra 300 ailerons. I use it to provide stability in windy conditions. The gain is fairly low, enough to provide stability. I use the gyro in Rate Mode , NOT Headlock.

Rate mode allows the gyro to react to changes by providing opposite force for a period of microseconds. It's the digital equivalent of someone being REALLY fast on the controls counteracting unforeseen forces. It does not lock the gyro in one spot in the way Head Lock does.

It works so well that I leave it on ALL the time, even in non windy conditions. I can perform rolls, snap rolls, knife edges with it enabled.

Having the gyro has allowed me to fly the Extra 300 in conditions that I was very afraid of flying in before. For me that is anything more than 10-15 mph winds.

Yes its kind of cheating, but I'm more concerned with getting maximum flight time versus being "pure".

BTW I tried the gyro on the rudder. It was okay for takeoffs but every roll became non-axial since the rudder was trying to compensate for yaw. So now I only have the gyro on the aileron.
mathursharad is offline Find More Posts by mathursharad