HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2014, 01:19 AM
Vancouver Intl, Canada
Joined Dec 1996
367 Posts
Discussion
Sportwin - new setup!

I built this Sportwin 5? 6? years ago. Even though we were already in the brushless transition, I decided to use some 7.2v S400's, and a 3s -1100mah lipo and 5x5 APCEs. I was pushing those cheapy cans very hard. Surprisingly, performance wasn't as good as I wanted. Darn high expectations!

So, these Hyperion P1913s came on sale. I got 2 of the 6-turn versions. Because I closed the S400s in, I had to cut them out of the nacelles to install these new motors. Plan is to spin either 4.75x4.75 or 5x5. Did a bench test on 1, with the 4.75x4.75 - about 15 amps with a nearly dead battery. My guess is about 17 amps with a fresh pack for 190 watts. X2 and 380 watts total for a 24 oz airframe. I've also decided to use 2200mahs for more play time.

Super excited to try out some HIGH performance twin action.

Question: How to make/carve the fancy tips? I left them off cause I was lazy - but now I think they will make it snazzy and I want to pretty her up now that she's got more power!
Aviron is offline Find More Posts by Aviron
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:14 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,869 Posts
cant answer your question but looks like the little brother to my new girl in progress.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:56 PM
Vancouver Intl, Canada
Joined Dec 1996
367 Posts
MORE CHROME!

Nice. What have you got in there for power?
Old Nov 13, 2014, 08:27 PM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviron View Post
Super excited to try out some HIGH performance twin action.

Question: How to make/carve the fancy tips? I left them off cause I was lazy - but now I think they will make it snazzy and I want to pretty her up now that she's got more power!
Looks great! Wish I still had mine I got used...my solution to converting it to brushless was to sell the brushed one..of course havent got around to building another yet Best person to ask about those tips is probably Mark himself, check his build threads....
David Hogue is online now Find More Posts by David Hogue
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:55 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,869 Posts
aviron, it is actually brushed aluminum. i was trying to stay away from the chrome look but as it turns out i have grown to like it. was kinda surprised how chome-like it looks. oh well. im running power32 motors on 4s 3600 mah with a 75 amp esc. starting to cover the wings at this point and sorting retracts. whats the wingspan of yours? like the lines of that one. Walt.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:42 AM
Vancouver Intl, Canada
Joined Dec 1996
367 Posts
You must have the Super Sportwin? Mine is the 1st Sportwin. Span is about 36" That sounds like some crazy power you're planning.

Mine was pretty fast even on S400s... So I'm expected some eye popping speed, and the sweet sweet sound of a high speed twin!
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:51 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,869 Posts
mine is a 1978 duallist electric conversion. 10 lbs. 1600 watts total! my first twin.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 01:20 AM
Vancouver Intl, Canada
Joined Dec 1996
367 Posts
Maidened V2.0 today. No trim required! The hyperion littel outrunners I got on sale are VERY smooth. Very well balanced, and I did the props too. So, the sound is amazing! Not loud but the twin sound is SWEET.

I balanced a little forward for safety (see thread on Sig Wonder). Used a legit CG stand not my fingers.

Guys at the field love the lines!
Old Nov 18, 2014, 08:37 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,390 Posts
The tips are balsa carved from block. The Sportwin has a flat bottom wing, so it's fairly straight forward by using an appropriately curved can or similar with sandpaper on it to put the bottom shape in. The top is carved like a conventional tip. They should only droop about 3/8" or so below the bottom of the wing. Basically, they make the wing perform as if it as more area.

My Howler has two EDF motors of 3500kV, and two 4.1 x 4.1 props on 3S. REALLY screams!
At 36" span, and 300w/lb......it gets really small really fast.

With regards to watts/amps. Running a wattmeter on one motor and then just doubling isn't completely accurate. When you add the draw of the second motor, the watts on te first one will drop a bit.

Lets see some shot of this little bugger now!
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Jan 31, 2015, 08:53 PM
Vancouver Intl, Canada
Joined Dec 1996
367 Posts
Tada!

30mm aluminum spinners and finally a canopy...

Fantastic flyer and great looks.
Old Feb 01, 2015, 08:28 AM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,869 Posts
fantastic looking! well done. i think you should paint the inside of canopy and get a cockpit and little pilot in there. she deserves it.
Old Feb 05, 2015, 09:30 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,869 Posts
is this a belly lander?
Old Feb 06, 2015, 01:15 AM
Vancouver Intl, Canada
Joined Dec 1996
367 Posts
Yeah - belly lander. Not my favourite part of this plane.

I have thought about building another with gear - but it would lose its sleek looks unless I had retracts but then the wings are too thin for any typical unit.

Also I fly from a pretty lush field. I'd need big wheels to make it go and that would end up looking ridiculous... <sigh> real problems I have!
Old Feb 06, 2015, 10:44 AM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,869 Posts
i agree! cant stand wheels hanging down on sleek planes.