Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:39 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,095 Posts
Since we don't have the kind of wide open spaces you have I've been concentrating on short range stuff. That's why I bought the Safir T-14 for the wife. 17 round mags of .410 buck and slugs down the pipe as fast as you can pull the trigger. At least in the house, if someone breaks in while I'm gone on a trip momma can lay down a total impenetrable wall of lead. Downside: Lots and lots of sheetrock and electrical work will ensue. When we go to the farm I tell her to concentrate on shot control and try to miss all of the Oak trimwork.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:02 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
OMG, you're right, Sean, leave for a few days it's just too much to catch up on. I've been gone for 4 days and I'm 4 pages behind;

Recap;

We all agree to keep our politics to ourselves .

Servo testers are a must .

The new Fiat rocks hard and Stinker will be driving one soon .

Hoss is a bit scary on the field but has a big heart .

Cap'n Canudely misplaced a grand .

Jeff has a girl friend, na na na boo boo .

High-end ballistics are another favorite of the clan .

OK, I'm good .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:48 PM
Be the duck. Whaaaa?
United States, CA, Guerneville
Joined Mar 2012
312 Posts
Nice recap!
UberZogster is offline Find More Posts by UberZogster
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:08 PM
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,412 Posts
Yes, very nice, yet one thing/aspect missing;
Wood Rules.
We've always had it, do and always will.
Modern composites are transitory and temporal.
jcstalls is offline Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:01 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcstalls View Post
Yes, very nice, yet one thing/aspect missing;
Wood Rules.
We've always had it, do and always will.
Modern composites are transitory and temporal.
Excellent Jared!
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:09 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,847 Posts
Come...... to the dark side of the force...... I must obey my carbon fiber lust.... You don't know the power of the carbon fiber side.....

Darth Putzzzzzz
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:11 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Roflmao!!!!

I vote we put Don in charge of the 15 second recaps! Short, sweet and to the point. So now Don, your job (even if you don't want it) is to do a weekly recap for the guys that have to spend time out on the road.

Jack, I have to admit that I've dabbled in the realm of the dark side but strictly for added strength in critical areas. Some of my carbon "adjustments" have saved my planes. After the Windfree shrugged off a direct hit by that pop up shade awning thanks to the solid carbon spars, I was sold that the black stuff DOES have some use in a basically wood build. Not that I'm going to get into bagged wings and such but I can see myself learning how to do them for some designs I have floating around in my sick mind. MUHAHAHAHAHA!!
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Last edited by scaflock; Oct 02, 2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Hit the wrong freaking button!
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:28 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Come...... to the dark side of the force...... I must obey my carbon fiber lust.... You don't know the power of the carbon fiber side.....

Darth Putzzzzzz
Just to make Darth feel good I'm gonna use CF in my next woodie build. Yes sir, gonna run reinforcing layups all along the ...................

canopy sides.

Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:35 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
boingk, The Mauser sounds awesome! LE too!

May sound harsh but I tend to put all my cards on the table and it works out for me. Treating someone well, buying gifts and such is one thing, I enjoy giving a lot but when the pressure gets turned up or someone expects things I hit the road.

Damn, I'm ready to do a little flying. Weather is getting great (read cooler) here. Hoss, if you read this make an escape plan for this weekend.
We'd probably get along pretty well mate; I'm the same way with women and my current girlfriend likes being upfront as well. Shes not a big spender and is actually very budget minded... we save for the most part and lash out occasionally on something we both enjoy.

As far as flying goes I took the fullsize up yesterday and had an absolute blast! Got a compliment while in the circuit from a guy in a Cessna 172 as well; I think I surprised him with my climb rate and speed. Big grins all round!

Cheers on the rifles everyone... love the idea of a Barret but honestly would probably never own one. If you're after shortrange stuff for the missus try a .17 HMR from Savage with a fancy stock and 2-stage trigger. Lovely little rifles that shoot stright, don't kick and pack a punch for varmint.

Heres a photo of the Mauser for you guys:

- boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:20 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,676 Posts
No escape possible Sean. Got a highschool buddy and his wife coming down to Dauphin Island this weekend. Would ya believe we haven't seen each other in at least 15 years and he wants to meet Kat!?!?!?!? I may be able to slip out on Sunday though. All I have flyable is the Sophie and the Radian, but I have modded the Radian and haven't been able to test her out yet.
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:37 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,133 Posts
Geez, I hope you guys all put your firearms in some kind of time lock safe when you switch from shooting to drinking. Perhaps even do the same for your model building projects if you want them to look good and to keep all those fingers. And if you're concerned about security, maybe you should get a well trained dog with a good nose. Then there's no mistaken identity in the dark. Perhaps throw in a recording: "No, Joe, put the axe down. Please! You remember what happened last time."
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:49 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
I started using CF from the very beginning. It was a strip of the black stuff all across the underside of the spar that saved the Gentle Lady during an un-planned full-pedal winch launch.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:12 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
Geez, I hope you guys all put your firearms in some kind of time lock safe when you switch from shooting to drinking. Perhaps even do the same for your model building projects if you want them to look good and to keep all those fingers. And if you're concerned about security, maybe you should get a well trained dog with a good nose. Then there's no mistaken identity in the dark. Perhaps throw in a recording: "No, Joe, put the axe down. Please! You remember what happened last time."
Well, I'm going to take this as a light hearted post.

Edit: Upon re-reading this I can't see anything but a pointed, holier-than-thou attempt at moralizing without information and a jab at the regulars on this thread. If I was a reportin' kind of guy I'd hit the button but I think you've shamed yourself enough.

As for firearm safety. Myself, Hoss, Jeff, Keith just to name the usual contributors on this thread that I know, take that stuff very seriously. We're not 16 year old kids with our first pop gun.

The drinking part is said a lot in jest. There isn't a one of us that doesn't have commitments from sunrise to 7-8:00 PM minimum 6 days a week and the rest of the time we're too tired from producing to party.

Possibly Lincoln, you may not understand humor.

As for home security: Try 18 sets of motion sensor lights, driveway and yard sensors, full security system with 7 video cameras, motion sensors, cell communication, storm rated windows, 2-zone entries and a few other do-dads I won't mention cuz it's a surprise. My dog has a helluva siren too.

The firearms are for fun or if you're stupid enough or smart enough to get past everything else. I'd be happy to take it down to LTUP and discuss gun ownership and the RTKBA if you want. What I won't tolerate is to be accused of irresponsibility.

Never had more than one beer ever while building models either. I can use an Exacto knife. I also, in addition to building RC airplanes, build furniture, restore cars, do complete and thorough home remodeling, run equipment almost daily from a lowly RC-100 skid steer up through D-6s, not to mention occasionally driving 20+ ton OTR trucks on trips. Do a lot of ag work with tractors too. Oh, today I had to do a complete rewire on an electrical system in our maintenance shop, some of it live by necessity. All without ever having a single adult beverage and, gasp...........zero trips to the emergency room.

Nope, I handle work time, fun time and party time quite well thank you and have done so for 55 years.

Now what I really can't deal with is..............well................ self aggrandizing stuffed shirts that like to dispense uncalled, unneeded and misdirected advice, especially when they lack any true knowledge of those on-line that they know absolutely nothing about.

Go back under your bridge.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:30 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,150 Posts
Sean, I don't think he was being holier-than-thou, just concerned for everyone's safety if/when alcohol is involved, as well as firearms, and especially any possible combinations of the two.

I presume you saw the news recently about the guy who shot his own 15 year old son, thinking he was a prowler? I don't believe there was alcohol involved, his son was apparently playing a prank, and the guy honestly thought he was protecting his family, but his son is still just as dead, and he is still just as distraught.

I have a gun myself, I've taken 32 raccoons out of our barn with it (carriers of rabies, parvo, distemper, and you have no idea what they can do to model airplanes!), all to protect our family and pets, but like you, I take firearm safety very seriously.

As for this discussion, probably best for all of us if we all just turn it down a notch or two.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:48 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,543 Posts
I have often wondered why nobody beefs up woody wings with stronger, non carbon, spars. There are a lot of woods out there besides spruce and basswood which would give you much stronger wing. Obviously a hickory spar, "there's nothing like a good piece of hickory", would add some weight but it would also vastly increase bending and compressive strength. Anybody ever cut one to see what the weight difference would be?

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence