SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:53 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,505 Posts
I was just reading the thread from the beginning. It's so funny reading my questions I use to ask you guys. What a Dork I am. feels good that I'm answering those questions now.

Hasn't even been a year. Very weird reading this thread.
Dale 813 is offline Find More Posts by Dale 813
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2013, 07:36 AM
NMPRA 86T
United States, FL, Winter Haven
Joined Jan 2008
182 Posts
You are learning well, young Jedi

Well, Jedi like in this parody movie!!
Grocery Store Wars (2005) (5 min 51 sec)

Scott Smith
NMPRA District 7 VP
SEMPRA President
ScorpionRacing is offline Find More Posts by ScorpionRacing
Last edited by ScorpionRacing; Sep 12, 2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 06:31 PM
Chess club geek with wings
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Aug 2008
1,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale 813 View Post
IVery weird reading this thread.
So far it's one of the best sources of info on RCG on pylon racing.
blunight is offline Find More Posts by blunight
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:49 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,072 Posts
Can someone give me additional information/instruction on potting the wing to the fuse in a Viper?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 08:24 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunight View Post
Can someone give me additional information/instruction on potting the wing to the fuse in a Viper?
You can pot your wing two ways. Some people just pot the Fuse sides where there may be gaps between the wing bottom and the fuse sides. Sme people do that and also do the saddles to keep from putting a groove in the wing bottom.

Use micro balloons and epoxy resin and make it pasty like tooth paste and put it on the fuse sides where the wing meets the fuse. Before doing that. Use packing tape and tape the bottom of the wing where it will make contact. Dab some on the plane and when your ready. Place the wing down on the plane and secure it with your wing bolts. Let dry. Take wing off. Take tape off wing. Trim I use a Dremel. Trim the excess and Walla.

If you decide to pot your wing saddles. Use Vaseline on your wing bolts so the epoxy doesn't stick.

This is what I use but micro balloons is probably better. http://www.amazon.com/Sun-Cure-4-4-F...d_sim_sbs_hi_4
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:42 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,072 Posts
Quote:
You can pot your wing two ways. Some people just pot the Fuse sides where there may be gaps between the wing bottom and the fuse sides. Sme people do that and also do the saddles to keep from putting a groove in the wing bottom.

Use micro balloons and epoxy resin and make it pasty like tooth paste and put it on the fuse sides where the wing meets the fuse. Before doing that. Use packing tape and tape the bottom of the wing where it will make contact. Dab some on the plane and when your ready. Place the wing down on the plane and secure it with your wing bolts. Let dry. Take wing off. Take tape off wing. Trim I use a Dremel. Trim the excess and Walla.

If you decide to pot your wing saddles. Use Vaseline on your wing bolts so the epoxy doesn't stick.

This is what I use but micro balloons is probably better. http://www.amazon.com/Sun-Cure-4-4-F...d_sim_sbs_hi_4
Thanks Dale! Fizz was also kind enough to give me a link to one of Scott's builds on R-C-U. I'm sure I'll have more detailed questions once I get the Viper in the mail and even more questions when I build my Scorpion.
Also: I appreciate you taking the time to talk to me on the telephone the other day.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:03 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunight View Post
Thanks Dale! Fizz was also kind enough to give me a link to one of Scott's builds on R-C-U. I'm sure I'll have more detailed questions once I get the Viper in the mail and even more questions when I build my Scorpion.
Also: I appreciate you taking the time to talk to me on the telephone the other day.
No problem at all. So your getti g a Viper ? A couple things I did to mine. Remove the covering one inch in front of the front part of the tail feather saddle to the rest of the back of plane. I used fiberglass finishing resin and 2oz glass on this area. Then brush some balsa rite on it and recover. This section is known for busting on a mediocre landing.

The firewall also needs a good beefing up. I used the polyester resin in the link but micro balloons would work also. I did my firewall after I put the mount bolts in. With Vaseline. Before I glued the hatch down.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 07:20 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,072 Posts
I couldn't resist the great price
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1996297

It looks like it's already set up for racing but I wont know until it gets here. With any luck it will have good servo's and a Tetra tank.

Do you have a link or thread for setting up the TT 40 Pro? I'm looking for specific information on replacing the rear bearing and how to identify the stock bearing from a upgraded bearing.

I've read the instructions on Darrol Cady's web site but was wondering if his tool is really necessary and where to get the best deal on the bearing.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 07:53 AM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,505 Posts
I am the Link

Ok. Replacing the bearing. Take everything off the motor. Carb,piston, head, crank shaft,drive washer, back plate, once you have everything out. Turn oven on 350 degrees. Put motor in for ten minutes. Remove lightly tap the back onto a solid piece of wood. The bearing will drop out. Don't worry about the front bearing. Unless it needs replacing.

That is a good deal if its a 40. But his description said it was a 46. Also. I'll bet he has a stock fuel tank in there. But overall it's a good deal. If it is a 46. I would just fly it and practice.

If you need specific directions how to tak apart the motor, let me know or YouTube how to remove bearing in thunder tiger

When you get to the crank shaft not wanting to come out. The drive washer has a collet inside it that you see until you get it out. This makes life easier. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...erminal+puller
Last edited by Dale 813; Sep 14, 2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 01:26 PM
Alabama Racer
United States, AL, Decatur
Joined Jan 2007
29 Posts
Regarding beefing up the firewall, do not use polyester resin and/or microballoons.
Polyester is too brittle and does not soak into the wood very well, as it generally
cures too fast for that. Epoxy is the adhesive of choice and instead of using micro
balloons, use a filler that is intended to add strength - chopped/milled fiberglass, carbon
fibers or the best choice, cotton flock. Flock is inexpensive (aircraft spruce & specialty) and does indeed add strength. Microballoons are intended as a filler that is sandable. It is great
to use for potting the wing as noted earlier but not for strength. Cab-o-sil (trademarked)
is likewise a filler that is intended to keep resin from sagging/running. When you mix flock into the epoxy, the resin soaks into the cotton and joins the fibers together. Chopped fiberglass has a drawback of the resin not soaking into the fibers as it will with flock - resin tends to stay on the outside of those fibers. Do not breathe in any of these products. Not especially toxic but they will cause problems in your lungs. As for a brand of epoxy, many of the "hobby grade" epoxies do not soak into the wood very well, cure too quickly and stay somewhat rubbery/flexible. There are many brands of strong epoxies, everyone has their favorite - West Systems is generally easy to obtain and many folks like their epoxy. A good epoxy should be "scratch hard" when cured - try to scratch some of the leftover product in your mixing cup or whatever and you will quickly understand this concept.
brad
Alabama Racer is offline Find More Posts by Alabama Racer
Old Sep 14, 2013, 03:03 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,505 Posts
Brad, I would like to get the stuff you put in mine. It's creamy looking. What exactly is that ? Is that stuff the west systems epoxy ? I visited their website. I would like to know that exact stuff.

Blunight, I would disregard what I said to use. Alabama Racer knows far more than I do and I soak it in whenever he speaks. I would consider his advise Text Book.
Last edited by Dale 813; Sep 14, 2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 04:18 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,072 Posts
Quote:

That is a good deal if its a 40.
He checked it again and said it was indeed a 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Racer View Post
fibers or the best choice, cotton flock.
Good to know, I ordered one pound - the shipping was more than the Flok!
In the past I've made my own fillets by chopping fiberglass, I didn't know the epoxy would not penetrate fully.

I'm using Resin Research 2050 epoxy and slow hardener so it's pretty thin and has great penetration.
http://www.resinresearch.net/

Thanks for the info guys!
Trent
Old Sep 14, 2013, 08:10 PM
Alabama Racer
Joined Jan 2007
29 Posts
Dale: the stuff in the corners of your planes is West Systems epoxy
along with cotton flock. I use the 206 West hardener. You will need some
small measuring/mixing cups or a scale to mix the epoxy. The ratio is
5 - 1 resin to hardener. After you mix up the epoxy, put some of it on the
surfaces of the wood - before you have mixed in the flock. Add flock
to your stirred epoxy, adding it until it is about the consistency of shaving
cream or maybe cool whip. Then, add this epoxy/flock mixture into the corners.
A popsicle stick works great for this. It will take a while to cure. I put my parts
in a heat box and get it to about 100 degrees. But, as long as it is over about 75
degrees (I think), it will cure fine. Make sure you stir the epoxy really to get the
2 parts mixed up thoroughly.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 08:47 PM
Alabama Racer
Joined Jan 2007
29 Posts
By the way, thanks for the undeserved confidence in my views.
Brad
Old Sep 14, 2013, 09:19 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Racer View Post
By the way, thanks for the undeserved confidence in my views.
Brad
Hahaha. I'm one of the few Priveleged to own a BCS.