Old May 10, 2015, 01:22 PM
Find More Posts by GregG
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,387 Posts
Discussion
LUNAR.ORG Rocket Meet Moffet Field 5/9/15

Yesterday I took my 12yr old grandson Sean out to a rocketry meet at Moffet Field/ Ames NASA on the southern end of San Francisco Bay. This was the 1st rockets meet that I have ever attended. It was put on by the good folks from the Livermore Rocket Club (LUNAR.ORG). This meet was limited to low and medium powered rockets with a limit on altitude of 1000'.

We were there fairly early as it started at 9am. Was quite a long walk from the parking lot to the actual flying area. We had a huge area on the airfield between Hanger One and Two, right next to active runways. It was close enough that we had to curb all flights a couple of times so helicopters could take off and land. (I was hoping to see an F-18 but they were all parked!).

Within an hrs. time this area was literally crawling with people eager to fly and watch the model rockets (238 people last time I checked)! They had 5 launch pad areas with 6 pads in each area each separated by adequate distance so that one area could have flyers loading while another area had flyers launching.

I have to give a big hand to the the volunteers from LUNAR.ORG for putting on such a well controlled, safe meet! You people really did your homework on carrying this sort of thing on. The controls and launching sequences were terrific, I felt VERY safe, and the staff very friendly and helpful. I can't wait to see the high powered rockets at a meet in the near future. Thanks for a great time!

BTW, this is the 1st time in over a dozen years that I came back to hanger one. We used to fly RC indoors there, what a hoot that was. When I 1st saw it I thought they were tearing it down but it appears Google has stepped up to the plate and is doing a restoration on this historic hanger. Go Google!

Here is a post I did years ago from our last indoor RC plane fly in Hanger One 2001!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=69
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
to remove ads between posts