HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2008, 09:17 PM
Joined Mar 2007
42 Posts
Discussion
Southern Cali Slope Flying

Hello all you thermal junkies...Im new to the area and have recently become interested in slope flying. With all the topografically perfect areas around here I wondered if you all could recommend a plane that might fit the area. I have been flying for a couple years, mostly war birds and such but need a new plane for the area. Any recommendations? Favorite areas ect. Thanks.
tunaseed is offline Find More Posts by tunaseed
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2008, 09:34 PM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,024 Posts
Can o' worms, mate - you'll get more advice than you'll know what to do with!
Reed is offline Find More Posts by Reed
Old Jul 07, 2008, 09:48 PM
Original Jackass
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Feb 2008
1,934 Posts
What part of So. Cal do you live in?
Alex May is offline Find More Posts by Alex May
Old Jul 07, 2008, 10:06 PM
Joined Mar 2007
42 Posts
Im in Woodland hills and whats can o worms?
Old Jul 07, 2008, 10:17 PM
SIMI VALLEY, CA
Joined Mar 2008
94 Posts
Hi tunaseed, welcome aboard, i'm relativly new to this place also. i was into it 25 years ago and just got back into it. great bunch of people here and will give you all the info you need and probably more than you can digest. i think Reed means your going to get every opinion under the sun reguarding slopers thus opening a can of worms. there a bunch of us from Simi and the valley that are close to you and can show all the great places to fly. i'm sure you will get invites from all over so. cal. so get ready.
Dale
old sloper is offline Find More Posts by old sloper
Old Jul 08, 2008, 12:16 AM
Joined Mar 2007
42 Posts
im sooper pumped to check out the scene so if any of you will be flying let me know where so i can watch..
Old Jul 08, 2008, 12:32 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,763 Posts
We have a race at White Point in San Pedro, Saturday, July 12th after 1:30PM.
Also another race at the same place, White Point, the next weekend, on Sunday, July 20th starting a bit earlier.

White Point is in San Pedro, which is located at the south end of the 110 freeway, where Western Avenue winds down to the ocean....

Come check it out.

If you don't like F3F racing, see PSS type planes just 3/4 mile east on Paseo Del Mar, near Gaffey Street, at the famous Point Fermin.

Regards,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jul 08, 2008, 12:55 AM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,621 Posts
Target is Saturdays race part of the F3F race series?
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2008, 01:14 AM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,024 Posts
Hey, sorry to be so cryptic - old sloper is right, I just meant that SoCal is one of the great hotbeds of slope life on this planet so you should get a ton of advice about where to fly.
Reed is offline Find More Posts by Reed
Old Jul 08, 2008, 02:32 PM
The sky is my playground
Near the Ocean in Hunt. Beach Calif.
Joined Apr 2006
999 Posts
Try looking on PGRpages.com and it should give you home page, then go to so cal slope flying spots and there will be a left column in green and click on each name of a local flyin spot,IT will also give you directions and all the stuff you need to know to get you on the road.
flyboyjimi is offline Find More Posts by flyboyjimi
Old Jul 08, 2008, 03:06 PM
mmm... wings....
United States, CA, Santa Ana
Joined May 2004
334 Posts
If you have google earth installed check out the KMZ file on the same website flyboyjimi mentioned
http://pgrpages.com/rc/slopeinfo.htm
its a great resource.Tilt the camera view and you can see the shape of the slope.
If you do not have google earth get it... free.
zagiace is offline Find More Posts by zagiace
Old Jul 08, 2008, 03:25 PM
The sky is my playground
Joined Apr 2006
999 Posts
I use it everytime before I go flyin to give me a jump on wind and if there is enough of it Mesowest weather is used on many of the sites as a indicator but you need to know which station to look at Plus Pete has directions how to get to most of these places. Once again thank you Pete from PGRPAGES.com best thing he coulda done for us in So. Cal
Old Jul 08, 2008, 03:28 PM
The sky is my playground
Joined Apr 2006
999 Posts
Dale, Alan said you had to leave early saturday but hope to fly with you again You did a great job on the SR 7 and it flew great hope to see you again at the same place Jimmi
Old Jul 08, 2008, 06:49 PM
SIMI VALLEY, CA
Joined Mar 2008
94 Posts
Jimmi, always a pleasure to fly with all you guys. sorry i missed the really good lift, that would have been fun. thats what makes this hobby so much fun, so many friendly people and always willing to help each other. i want to get down south to fermin and O.C. again and also get up north to fly some new territory. i'm going to try to get to Dume this week or over the weekend if it's any good. so many places to fly and not enough time.
See ya soon.
Dale
old sloper is offline Find More Posts by old sloper
Old Jul 08, 2008, 07:06 PM
Joined Mar 2007
42 Posts
Thanks for the info guys I cant wait to watch and learn. Any spots near Woodland Hills? I heard a little jab about point dume, looks like a nice spot. If you can, post a few pics of your favorite planes. Pictures speak a thousand words. Thanks again. Alex