SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:57 AM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,202 Posts
Discussion
Spread Spectrum Modules

Check it out. The spread spektrum modules are coming out in April for the Futaba, JR, and Hitec Radios. They seem a little spendy and I can't tell if that price includes a receiver (I hope it does).

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=SPMMSFUT9

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2007, 12:00 PM
Swim Bike Run Repeat
Rapid City Regional, South Dakota, United States
Joined Mar 2004
851 Posts
Futaba

Have yall seen this thread Futaba!!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...50#post6926072

Dan
Chuckhead1 is offline Find More Posts by Chuckhead1
Old Feb 22, 2007, 01:39 PM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,892 Posts
I'm all over this as soon as it becomes available. It looks like that Futaba article is talking about an entire radio as opposed to a replacement module. I like my 9C and don't really want to buy a whole new radio. But at $299 for the module alone, a whole new radio is about the same price. Not sure which way I'll go yet. One benefit of just replacing the module is that I can stick with the same interface that I've become used to. The 9C is the easiest to program of any radio I've had.
slopeiron is offline Find More Posts by slopeiron
Old Feb 22, 2007, 01:49 PM
USA, CA, La Mirada
Joined Feb 2004
415 Posts
I have been thinking about switching over as well. I have heard rumors that Futaba is working on the 14MZ on the 2.4 ghz with features like alltitude and airspeed readouts on the transmiter
RMD72377 is offline Find More Posts by RMD72377
Old Feb 22, 2007, 01:56 PM
Yorba Linda, Ca.
Joined Oct 2003
2,191 Posts
You Bettcha

I have been waiting for this upgrade for my 9303's I just placed the order with JR, hopefully April....sounds good to me...coupled with the receiver they are $300.00 apiece...dunno how much the 9 channel receivers are going to run....

ALan
Terminator is offline Find More Posts by Terminator
Old Feb 22, 2007, 02:01 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,245 Posts
At $300, I think I'll wait for everyone else to switch over, that way my conventional channels will all be clear.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Feb 22, 2007, 02:17 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
I'm with you Dominic. I'm gonna be buying all those cheap antiquated receivers in the F/S forum.

Are the s.s. receivers getting any smaller? The last versions I saw (not too recently) were way too big to fit in most of my sailplanes. They might fit in a PSS'er or a scale ship, but certainly not a Nemesis.

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Feb 22, 2007, 05:47 PM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchiessCo
I'm with you Dominic. I'm gonna be buying all those cheap antiquated receivers in the F/S forum.
I'm going to smash all mine with a sledge hammer just to spite you. Hehehe.
slopeiron is offline Find More Posts by slopeiron
Old Feb 22, 2007, 06:24 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
Don't be a hater Russ.
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Feb 22, 2007, 07:13 PM
Free as a bird now.
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,669 Posts
I love the idea of using spread spectrum. I hate the fact that the 25 or so rx's I own won't be compatible.
Brian Courtice is offline Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:08 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
I recently picked up a DX7 to use for flying (gasp) e-powered planes at the local club field. I'm really impressed, obviously it's a pretty basic radio compared to my MPX Profi 4000 but for what I want it for, it's fine. The big drawback is this complete lack of engineering on the neckstrap mount. I'm going to have to do a mod of some kind to get things hanging right. Other than that, it's a very nice little radio, well laid out and easy to program. In bench testing so far it seems bulletproof and almost everything I've heard about their field performance has been great.

That said, the receiver that comes with the DX7 is a little strange, it's about 2/3 the size of an Electron 6 but it has a dongle ("satellite" rx) that is connected via a 6" lead. The dongle is about 2/3 the size of a Berg Microstamp (the old ones). The two together are not particularly heavy or large, but getting them installed in a typically tight moldie (or a small foamie) might be a bit of a challenge.

The main selling point is, of course, the lack of frequency conflict. I normally hate buying the 1st/2nd generation stuff, but sometimes you just have to. I really can't wait to see the Spektrum version of the 9303, that will be the "killer app" for sailplanes IMHO.

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:18 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,898 Posts
What about using the AR7000 RX? I'm told it's smaller than the AR6000. As for range I don't know. I've been super happy with the range on my DX6.
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:19 AM
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Feb 2003
2,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1oflyr
What about using the AR7000 RX? I'm told it's smaller than the AR6000. As for range I don't know. I've been super happy with the range on my DX6.
RU talking about AR6100? Spektrum's smaller receivers are only recommended to be used in parkflyers even though there are people who used them in bigger planes w/o any problem.

Adrian
codezilla is offline Find More Posts by codezilla
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:43 AM
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Feb 2003
2,370 Posts
Xps

Personally, I'm waiting for XPS system for my EVO.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566018
They should release their module system pretty soon (hopefully).

Ultimately, I want a Nomadio system. According to the announced spec, it looks like a super radio that's more powerful and flexible than the Profi 4000.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621514

I think slopers generally runs into less frequency conflicts than power fliers because there are typically only a few of us on a given hill at a time.
What's cool about SS System for the slopers is that it eliminates interference from other sources as well because when it sees signal w/o proper codes embedded in, the rx will just ignore them as noise. So if you fly at a spot where you get hit w/interference often, SS system should solve that.

Adrian
codezilla is offline Find More Posts by codezilla
Old Feb 23, 2007, 03:21 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by codezilla
According to the announced spec, it looks like a super radio that's more powerful and flexible than the Profi 4000.
I wouldn't count on it, based on those specs.

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member