HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:35 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Dec 2004
2,110 Posts
Question
FPV cam to replace sn777?

Hi all,

It´s a long time since I post here. Lately I´m occupied preparing my octo for aerial filming, and I´ve been using my sn777 camera from hobbywireless for flying while recording with a GH2

I love this camera, it was a huge step forward from the kx131 (a myth), but it died last week....

Now I need a replacement, but last time I did a search it was around 2009 so there´re tons of new cameras, can´t find the sn777, and have no idea what new camera might be comparable to mine

Anyone know about a good replacement?

Or if you have no idea about the sn777 but have experience with different cameras, I´m looking forward hearing your advice.

Hobbyking now have many cameras, but it´s like playing roulette If you know any good camera from them that would be nice, as I have to order some other parts from them

I´m also wondering if it´s worth as many TVL as possible since vtx can´t transmitt more than maybe 500...

Oh I need it to be 12v, no more regulators please

Thanks
Andres
AndrésMtnez is online now Find More Posts by AndrésMtnez
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:55 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,925 Posts
I thought most people stopped using the SN777/KPC-VSN500 a years ago because
it is the most UHF noisy camera in existence. It cuts my range
if it's in the same room as my plane, let alone mounted on it.
There's probably a few people who will sell or give you one they're not using,
if you really like it that much.

Otherwise if you want something with similar form factor (25mm square in a
metal case), take a look at the KX6 OSD camera from Rangevideo
or Surveilzone's mini WDR 600tvl camera with both have
similar specs to the SN777 but much lower UHF noise.
The KX6 is more expensive but it has the option to define exposure regions
so you can bias the exposure toward the ground. Surveilzone's mini is an
OSD camera, but it can't do that, which I found very disappointing.

If you don't need a camera that small, then the PZ0420 is a popular choice
these days. Great picture, but too big and fragile for my tastes.
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2014, 01:34 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Dec 2004
2,110 Posts
Hey you still here..... Ian? Sorry my memory sucks, specially for names

Anycase I´m glad to read you again

About the noise, I know, first time I covered the camera with alu foil, but never had a problem and when I changed it to the octo I simply removed it. I never fly far, when flying fpv never go further than 500m, and now with the octo even closer, and the camera is almost 1m from the rx

I guess WDR 600tvl is this one

What about this one?

Do you know anything about HK cameras? I´m sure some model is the same as these ones, but who knows for sure
Old Nov 24, 2014, 01:39 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Dec 2004
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
The KX6 is more expensive but it has the option to define exposure regions

My GH2 does not have this option, and it sucks. You can do it only with.... dot? exposure (don´t know the name in english, when it only measure one point, not a zone), but then the exposure changes are too sharp, so I use center zone

It´s amazing that this little cameras have the option
Old Nov 24, 2014, 02:15 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,925 Posts
Spot Exposure is the term you're thinking of.
Some cameras let you move the spot, but it's not very useful for this app.

This is the 600tvl WDR mini I was talking about at Surveilzone
http://www.surveilzone.com/sony-supe...osd-fpv-hs1171
It's an OSD camera, but doesn't have the exposure regions option that the KX6 does.
It generally has a good picture, at least the equal of the SN777, but I found situations where
I was descending into a shadowed region where I really wish I could bias the exposure
region toward the bottom.

What I did with the KX6 was set the whole lower 2/3rds of the frame as the
exposure region, so it biases toward ground, and only ignores the top most part of the sky.
It's equivalent to tilting the camera down about 30 degrees, without having
to actually do that. In full sunlight, both sky and ground look like any other camera.

If size and durability aren't a concern (probably not on your Octo) then
maybe look at some of the larger options like the PZ0420. The Effio cameras
are popular as well, but they are UHF noisy.
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Nov 24, 2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Dec 2004
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Spot Exposure is the term you're thinking of
Spot-on

GH2 let you move it where you want, but as you said that exposure method is not good for this app, exposure changes are dramatic

And if you choose region instead of spot, you cannot move it. What is annoying since you can move the AF region, but not the exposure region....

How noisy are the effio cameras? Similar to my sn777?

KX6 looks promising, but since I can´t change the exposure region on my GH2 this is not that important, maybe a camera with same exposure problems would be more appropiate, this way I know if I´ve over-exposed the shot to repeat it. With KX6 I could think it´s all perfect until I watch the filming and realice it´s overexposed...
Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM
Joined Sep 2013
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrésMtnez View Post
Hey you still here..... Ian? Sorry my memory sucks, specially for names

Anycase I´m glad to read you again

About the noise, I know, first time I covered the camera with alu foil, but never had a problem and when I changed it to the octo I simply removed it. I never fly far, when flying fpv never go further than 500m, and now with the octo even closer, and the camera is almost 1m from the rx

I guess WDR 600tvl is this one

What about this one?

Do you know anything about HK cameras? I´m sure some model is the same as these ones, but who knows for sure
For standard flying, the 600tvl camera HS1163 is fairly good.

But if you're looking for a camera which can handle strong sunlight, we suggest the 800tvl effio-v camera CC1526

800tvl effio-v camera has better image color than 600tvl ccd camera. You can have a look at the video samples in the listings.
SurveilZone is offline Find More Posts by SurveilZone
Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Dec 2004
2,110 Posts
Hi, I was just doing a simulation order on your web to know the shipping charges.....

Free to spain! That´s great

Those two are exactly the ones I was considering, toghether with Daemon´s recomendation, wich looks like a small version of the HS1163, right?

I´d prefer if it´s max 29mm tall, I could make some mod to use a taller camera, but only if it´s really worth the difference

This is a bit crazy... superHAD, ExView, double scan....

What can you say about the UHF noise Daemon told me about the effio one? I read somewhere you said that was an older version. This one is better at this respect?

I use 5.8ghz video wich I guess it´s not a problem, 2.4ghz RC control, but the rx is 90cm far from the camera, and GPS wich is more than 50cm far
Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Dec 2004
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurveilZone View Post
But if you're looking for a camera which can handle strong sunlight, we suggest the 800tvl effio-v camera CC1526
May you explain this a little bit?

This is for an octocopter for aerial filming, so mostly used with strong sunlight, but I was thinking strong sunlight is never a problem, it´s low light the problem

What do you mean? What´s better about this one for strong sunlight?

I never rely on uploaded videos, as the recording and uploading usually change the video too much to know how the camera really performs. I prefer hearing /reading first hand opinions
Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM
zev
United States, MA, Natick
Joined Sep 2014
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrésMtnez View Post
May you explain this a little bit?

This is for an octocopter for aerial filming, so mostly used with strong sunlight, but I was thinking strong sunlight is never a problem, it´s low light the problem

What do you mean? What´s better about this one for strong sunlight?

I never rely on uploaded videos, as the recording and uploading usually change the video too much to know how the camera really performs. I prefer hearing /reading first hand opinions
I think they were referring to when you are flying into the sun. some cameras, everything but the sun will go dark, bit the V has a huge dynamic range and great WDR so it performs well in this situation.
zev is offline Find More Posts by zev
Old Today, 03:16 AM
Joined Sep 2013
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zev View Post
I think they were referring to when you are flying into the sun. some cameras, everything but the sun will go dark, bit the V has a huge dynamic range and great WDR so it performs well in this situation.
Yes, correct. Effio-v has true WDR while some cameras are digital WDR, can't handle the strong sunlight very well.

Effio-v camera can work both at day and night. We suggest to buy IR sensitive camera with default IR sensitive lens, then buy extra IR blocked lens, like 2.8mm CL1185 and 3.6mm CL1188

Day time: IR sensitive camera + IR blocked lens = IR blocked, better at day

Night time, IR sensitive camera + default IR sensitive lens = IR sensitive, better at night.
SurveilZone is offline Find More Posts by SurveilZone
Old Today, 05:47 AM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Dec 2004
2,110 Posts
IR sensitive is necessary for low light conditions like sunset, or it´s only needed for true night flying?

IR blocked camera + standard lens = IR sensitive + blocked lens? No difference?

99% of my flying will be at day, I´d go that route you recommend only if there´s no difference at day