HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:46 AM
Joined Dec 2013
81 Posts
Discussion
Next RC plane after PZ P47?

Hey all. My progression was from the Champ-->UM T28--> PZ P47 w/ flaps & Retracts. I really like the plane a lot but now i'm looking for something more versatile.

Requirements: I want a plane that I can easily put in my trunk, can fly it at the beach (can belly land anywhere and handle wind), that is quick and exciting while also having the capability to go slow. It would be really nice if it took 2200 3s batteries so I can stick with the 5 that I have (but this is not a strict requirement)

What comes to mind is the stryker. However it looks like it is discontinued. I'm assuming a wing type design though would be the best? Suggestions appreciated
bimmernate is offline Find More Posts by bimmernate
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:25 PM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
2,318 Posts
Multiplex dogfighter
failboat is offline Find More Posts by failboat
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:45 PM
AMA#1032179
United States, MN, Fairmont
Joined May 2013
2,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernate View Post
Hey all. My progression was from the Champ-->UM T28--> PZ P47 w/ flaps & Retracts. I really like the plane a lot but now i'm looking for something more versatile.

Requirements: I want a plane that I can easily put in my trunk, can fly it at the beach (can belly land anywhere and handle wind), that is quick and exciting while also having the capability to go slow. It would be really nice if it took 2200 3s batteries so I can stick with the 5 that I have (but this is not a strict requirement)

What comes to mind is the stryker. However it looks like it is discontinued. I'm assuming a wing type design though would be the best? Suggestions appreciated
Take a look at the flyzone acrowot mkii. Sound exactly like what you need. It says it runs 1800mah but I run 2200mahs all day
Somethin' Extra is offline Find More Posts by Somethin' Extra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: plasti-dip plasti-damage!
Old Oct 19, 2014, 01:53 PM
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined May 2011
1,210 Posts
The Mutiplex Dogfighter would probably be a good choice, but a little pricey for the RXR version.
The Moray would also be a fit for what you are after.
Uses 4cell batts, but it does come with one, which makes it even more appealing for the price.
Receiver ready + battery for the same price as a Dogfighter kit.

http://www.valuehobby.com/freewing-moray-pnp.html
Clive66 is offline Find More Posts by Clive66
Old Oct 19, 2014, 05:40 PM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,992 Posts
Durafly EFX racer - fulfils all your requirements, and pretty cheap too. Easier to handle (and see!) than both the Dogfighter and the Moray.

Durafly EFX Racers PnF & Kit - HobbyKing Product Video (3 min 11 sec)
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Old Oct 19, 2014, 06:01 PM
Joined Dec 2013
81 Posts
The multiplex dogfighter looks good, but quite pricey. The flyzone acrowot is not what I want at all (too big, has landing gear). The moray looks good and has a good price tag. I'm leaning towards the durafly or the moray. I like that the durafly can continue using 3s 2200 though and looks to have great flying characteristics. Can it fly slow too?
Old Oct 19, 2014, 06:09 PM
Joined Dec 2013
81 Posts
I also like the parts availability of the durafly. If something breaks, hobbyking looks like it has replacement parts for that model. For this model, can I easily glide it into a landing w/o power? (I can't do that very easily with the P47 w/ landing gear). It looks like you were only getting 4 min of flight time on a 4s 2200...that's pretty short. I'd probably get even less on 3s 2200 (also mine are 25c, HK says I need 30c...). But I would be flying it conservatively at the beach so hopefully get longer flight times with gliding?
Last edited by bimmernate; Oct 19, 2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 08:17 PM
Joined May 2011
1,210 Posts
I knew about the EFX (that is the next plane i plan to buy).
I didn't think you were looking for something quite that big.

Moray & parts available here.
http://www.motionrc.com/search.php?search_query=moray
Last edited by Clive66; Oct 19, 2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:13 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Jan 2013
210 Posts
Quote:
I also like the parts availability of the durafly. If something breaks, hobbyking looks like it has replacement parts for that model. For this model, can I easily glide it into a landing w/o power? (I can't do that very easily with the P47 w/ landing gear). It looks like you were only getting 4 min of flight time on a 4s 2200...that's pretty short. I'd probably get even less on 3s 2200 (also mine are 25c, HK says I need 30c...). But I would be flying it conservatively at the beach so hopefully get longer flight times with gliding?
Yes it is meant to glide very well and fly well slow as well as fast. Don't forget it's also 4S compatible. So is all ready to step up to the next level again too.

I've been following the EFX Racer for quite a while, and thus far I've not seen a single valid reason why not to buy it.
ChickenDrumstick is offline Find More Posts by ChickenDrumstick
Old Oct 20, 2014, 03:46 PM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,992 Posts
Quote:
It does only do 4 mins of mixed throttle on a 4S 1800 or 2200, but more like 7 mins on a 3S 2200 with a slightly larger prop (counterintuitive to newcomers to electric, but it's true; higher voltage on the same prop and motor means a LOT more current and a battery drained much faster). It does glide very well though, so doing climb and glide you would probably get ~10-12 mins.
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Old Oct 20, 2014, 09:34 PM
Joined Dec 2013
81 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I think the EFX is the best fit then. So do you think these batteries are okay (2200,3s,25c). http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

it says min 30c under the efx listing and the battery says 25c under the listing (but 25-35c on the battery itself) so i'm confused...Does that just mean if I run it at full throttle for more than 10 seconds bad stuff will happen? haha
Old Oct 20, 2014, 09:44 PM
Joined May 2011
1,210 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. I think the EFX is the best fit then. So do you think these batteries are okay (2200,3s,25c). http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

it says min 30c under the efx listing and the battery says 25c under the listing (but 25-35c on the battery itself) so i'm confused...Does that just mean if I run it at full throttle for more than 10 seconds bad stuff will happen? haha
I would go with a higher C rating.
those will probably get too hot.
When i get my EFX, i plan to go with at least a 40 C battery.