SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:46 AM
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
Discussion
Is six acres enough for a glider field?

Hi,
we have a riding pasture that I want to use as a glider field.
It's an open area about 800' x 400'. The 800' side has trees on either end. The 400' side has 3' fences with lot's of open space on the either side.
The one problem I can see is that the 800' side has a power line that cuts about 100' off the length. It wouldn't be a problem flying over it, but it does cut into my available length to use a hi-start.
So, I'm wondering if 700' is enough distance to use a hi-start.

Thx
SarahW is offline Find More Posts by SarahW
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:39 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,687 Posts
As Queen would sing, :- "Any way the wind blows"

Regards Ian
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:17 AM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
577 Posts
It depends on how much string is on your high start, and how far you stretch it, but 700' is probably enough. It's certainly enough for my hi start, which I believe has 100' of rubber and 300' of string.
GliderJim is offline Find More Posts by GliderJim
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:03 AM
Gary L
Dexter, Kansas
Joined Oct 2009
231 Posts
As mentioned in post #2 (but perhaps a bit too subtly ), think about the prevailing winds in your location. The 700 ft length is not very useable if it's oriented North-South and the wind is blowing from the East.
AMA69405 is offline Find More Posts by AMA69405
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:56 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,527 Posts
SarahW:

Ever consider DLGs? I'd fly there, I think, just fine.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:12 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
It wouldn't be a problem flying over it, but it does cut into my available length to use a hi-start.
Hi Sarah, Welcome to RCG! I learned the hard way about power poles and lines, I'll never fly around them again. For me, it's more about being in front or behind them not above or below, that can change too quickly. 800'x400' is a little tight for me but I'm a lousy pilot and need more space .

Blue Skies-

Don
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:27 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,850 Posts
Sarah, if you have the passion to fly a model glider you'll do fine. Flying at your field safely is up to you. I fly at a school yard that is fenced all the way around, and there are power line's on the south side of the field and of course the school building is on the west side. Everything out side these boundaries terrain wise can destroy a model as this field is in Tucson Arizona. I also fly off "A" mountain and that's another story. See Tucson "A" mountain photo thread on the slope forum. I would practice landing within 100' of yourself whenever it's time to come down. I wish you the best of luck in your soaring endeaver's.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:32 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,169 Posts
Sarah,
That is a tight space but usable. What are you flying?

Alan
jh2rc97 is offline Find More Posts by jh2rc97
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:29 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,130 Posts
If the wind is shifty, you'll need to allow some distance between the power lines and your stake, so that the line doesn't fall on it. You might need to use a slightly shorter than normal high start, at least in some conditions, but you ought to be able to get high enough to have some fun soaring.

If you use a winch, you won't need as much room to get to the same or greater altitude, particularly if your glider can be zoomed hard.

Be very careful flying on any day that the wind is blowing toward the power line! Especially if your sailplane has carbon spars. It's possible to short out the line and shut down the power. I'm thinking an all wood glider would be less of a problem, at least until it rained. I've seen one hanging off a high voltage line, making little zapping noises but with no visible sparks.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:36 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
577 Posts
The club field I used to fly at had a set of power lines running along the road directly behind the pits. Two wires - side by side, 6 feet apart maybe. Anyway, depending on the wind direction, landing approaches could come over the wires. Some one hit the first wire with their power plane one day, pushing it into the second wire, at which point there was some sparkly fanfare, followed by a toasty plane stuck in the wires and a whole bunch of people without power.
GliderJim is offline Find More Posts by GliderJim
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:49 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
I remember the story from Don True (GRHS) about the Supra Nova. Yup, carbon and 7200/14400 lines don't get along too well.
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:24 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,130 Posts
No matter how big they are, all flying fields need to be just a few feet larger, on occasion.

As far as the fried glider goes, we should have listened to Tesla. Meanwhile, it looks like the stab, fin, and one tip are usable. I'll bet the radio isn't!
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:12 PM
Fly It Like You Stole It !!
United States, MA, Pittsfield
Joined Sep 2011
245 Posts
WOW.... Supra - Nova I Guess...... What a picture. I never saw anything like that.

I'll bet it made one hell of a BANG when the power jumped the lines.

Murph
Paulbilbo91z9f is online now Find More Posts by Paulbilbo91z9f
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:14 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,072 Posts
The SULA club has use of a city park, a little over two acres square. The park is surrounded by trees and I think each tree has scored a sailplane!

2 meter floaters are about max size. The histart is a standard Dynaflight, total length is about 250 feet, stretched to about 300 ft.

We have 2 weekly contests, challenging and fun.

So 6 acres should be fine. Consider the powerlines as off limits!
Norm Furutani is offline Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Forget The Kids!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:14 AM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,554 Posts
I own 5 acres with a stand of trees and a house towards one end of the middle and am generally comfortable flying a 2m off a high start here. I can't range with lift very well or fly in much wind, but it suffices for keeping my thumbs warm when I can't get to the club field. It's terriffic for shooting landings.

A DLG would be happy here as well, but I won't get my 3.2 full house bird out for fear of landing on the roof.
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis