HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:44 PM
Joined Jul 2011
56 Posts
Anyone own this and a buck huck I am buying one or the other and not sure which route to go I know this is EPP and extremly forgiving but with some of the issues I have read I am wondering seeing as how the buck huck is touted as being super tough which would be the better plane. Its going to be strictly outdoor flyer and will defintely see some wind winter flying here in ontario
00nothing is offline Find More Posts by 00nothing
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:49 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
hmm

ok, check this out. looking at this over lunch today. if you look directly from behind, you can see if you line up the elevator stab with the wing and compare you can see in my picture where the left side is lined up with each other but then look at the right wing and you will see the right wing sticking up above the elevator stab. they are not level with each other. thoughts? possible cause?
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:51 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
ok, check this out. looking at this over lunch today. if you look directly from behind, you can see if you line up the elevator stab with the wing and compare you can see in my picture where the left side is lined up with each other but then look at the right wing and you will see the right wing sticking up above the elevator stab. they are not level with each other. thoughts? possible cause?
you didn't shim this when you built it? Or this happen afterwards?
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:59 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
Would there be any room to shim it? I have not gotten to putting the main wing on yet, but that stab sure is a tight fit. I did notice the instructions lack the usual measuring guidelines for making sure everything is lined up. For example no mention of measuring from wingtip to stab tip, etc. I know when I put the stab on I measured from tip of stab to front of plane to make sure it was as straight as possible.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:06 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
I did not shim this nor did it happen afterwards. That stab is tight so i dont know how you would shim it. Did any of you check yours this way and actually shim it? Question is....could this cause a right roll at high enough speeds by the way the air is flowing over the stab coming off the wings?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:07 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
On balsa builds, they say it doesn't affect flight much to have the horizontal stab slightly off like that. Of course, if you use the horizontal stab to align your ailerons, it's probably a whole different story. I haven't read the manual to see what it says about aileron alignment. I was just going to use the same approach I used with my 39" Sbach, which was to align the centerline of the wing at the wingtip with the centerline of the aileron.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:08 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Would there be any room to shim it? I have not gotten to putting the main wing on yet, but that stab sure is a tight fit. I did notice the instructions lack the usual measuring guidelines for making sure everything is lined up. For example no mention of measuring from wingtip to stab tip, etc. I know when I put the stab on I measured from tip of stab to front of plane to make sure it was as straight as possible.
You said you havent put your wing on yet. Did you see my post asking someone to balance their wing to see if it seems balanced?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:10 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277 View Post
On balsa builds, they say it doesn't affect flight much to have the horizontal stab slightly off like that. Of course, if you use the horizontal stab to align your ailerons, it's probably a whole different story. I haven't read the manual to see what it says about aileron alignment. I was just going to use the same approach I used with my 39" Sbach, which was to align the centerline of the wing at the wingtip with the centerline of the aileron.
I was not using the stab to align my ailerons no. Even if you did in this case a couple clicks of trim would fix the issue.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:16 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
I was not using the stab to align my ailerons no. Even if you did in this case a couple clicks of trim would fix the issue.
Not you - I thought I read SD did. And as he said, at high speed, the trim is probably blown back to some degree and you get the roll tendency again.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:23 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
Quote:
You said you havent put your wing on yet. Did you see my post asking someone to balance their wing to see if it seems balanced?
No I did not but I can do that tonight and let you know.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:24 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Thanks
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:40 PM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,446 Posts
my wing is balanced, looks just about perfect
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:42 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
Maybe the whole fuse by the tail is warped and that's why the stab isn't aligned? Or maybe the wing hole in the fuse isn't level which makes the wing not perpendicular to the fuse? Causing a right roll.
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:47 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
Maybe the whole fuse by the tail is warped and that's why the stab isn't aligned? Or maybe the wing hole in the fuse isn't level which makes the wing not perpendicular to the fuse? Causing a right roll.
That is kind of my thoughts....
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:48 PM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
plenty of room to shim the stab to get it to line up with the main wing, just did it on mine, but I'm going to hold off building this until I have the time to do all the mods to the landing gear etc