HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2012, 01:03 PM
Moscow, Russia
Joined May 2010
31 Posts
Help!
OSD version UNKNOWN and fail to update (error)

I am having the problem like that third time, but this time it already took 1 day since I am trying to fix it, and no luck..

I am flying this model rarely, and because of this, I am flying this model more rarely - looks like if I do not use OSD Pro for some long time (month or so), it forgets its setup, or something like this, and it is a big pain to make it working again.

Here is how it look like:
On my video out I got the initial welcome screen of OSD, saying that version is 2.51, and, after couple of seconds, it says something like "Menu input(s) not detected". After that - nothing new happens. Welcome screen is kept on the screen forever.

When connecting Logger V3 + OSD Pro to USB port of my PC, EagleTree software detects that OSD Pro firmware needs to be reinstalled, then it says version is UNKNOWN, and after I click to UPDATE - after couple of seconds I get "firmware programming error occured. Please reconnect, and try again".

When I go to the "Choose params for OSD", it does some communication with a module, loads params, but they are blank. If I change something I can press OK, and some "Download" bar will also show for some seconds. No errors are displayed, and seems software really communicates with module. But, no options are saved.

When I disconnect OSD from Logger - Software sees that I now do not have module.

I remember previous times, using some sorcery, I managed to fix same problems (but losing OSD setup every time), but this time it is more serious, or I do not know what to think.

Things done:
- connected/disconnected GPS
- same with Power battery
- same with 5V from BESC to one of OSD inputs
- same with Video In/Outs + 12V power

Please help!

P.S. In one of the similar threads someone recommended to use Battery Strap (this wire coming from BESC to Logger), but I do not understand how to connect it, because USB is connected there..
dROb is offline Find More Posts by dROb
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2012, 07:38 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Hi, and sorry about your issue. What this sounds like is a compatibility issue between the eLogger and your PC's USB. That can cause the "unknown" message, and other failures, to occur.

Is there a chance you could try the setup on a different PC or laptop, or with a USB hub?

If it happens on another PC, I think the eLogger V3's USB circuitry may be failing.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old May 10, 2012, 02:01 AM
Moscow, Russia
Joined May 2010
31 Posts
Thanks for your reply Bill! So I've checked the Logger+OSD with other two PCs and got no luck also.

I am going to get myself another Logger in few days, so could you please confirm that it looks more as a logger problem than OSD problem
Key arguments:
- Logger seems to be fully working (led blinking, data downloading, reflashing logger firmware performing good)
- OSD also seems working as it shows the Initial Screen on the Video output
Old May 10, 2012, 03:32 PM
NL
Joined Mar 2010
6 Posts
Hi Bill,
I,m currently experiencing a similar problem. Initially I used my desktop and was not able to connect to the elogger. Later I switched to my laptop and communication seems to be working. When I start the application (version 10.04) it will consistently ask to update the eloggerV3 to 5.96 and the OSDpro to 2.51 firmware each time I start the application. when I then do the updates it will allow me to setup the OSD screen parameters, however I'm not able to store them. When I click OK, I get a progress bar and after some time an error message instructing to send your ET support section an e-mail.
Next time I connect up the USB, the above repeats itself. Remarkable here is that allways the update program will show "UNKNOWN" as the current firmware.
During startup on the screen the version is displayed as a couple of graphics characters (no letters or numbers). For me it looks like settings can not be saved as each time I try to save them an error is displayed and the next time all settings from before are gone (text on screen) while the selction of graphics on screen are complete random.
Any thing I could try, any ideas ?
Your help is much appreciated as frustration starts to kick in.
Nic
Nico_J is offline Find More Posts by Nico_J
Old May 10, 2012, 09:12 PM
Resistance is Futile
United States, FL, Panama City Beach
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico_J View Post
Hi Bill,
I,m currently experiencing a similar problem. Initially I used my desktop and was not able to connect to the elogger. Later I switched to my laptop and communication seems to be working. When I start the application (version 10.04) it will consistently ask to update the eloggerV3 to 5.96 and the OSDpro to 2.51 firmware each time I start the application. when I then do the updates it will allow me to setup the OSD screen parameters, however I'm not able to store them. When I click OK, I get a progress bar and after some time an error message instructing to send your ET support section an e-mail.
Next time I connect up the USB, the above repeats itself. Remarkable here is that allways the update program will show "UNKNOWN" as the current firmware.
During startup on the screen the version is displayed as a couple of graphics characters (no letters or numbers). For me it looks like settings can not be saved as each time I try to save them an error is displayed and the next time all settings from before are gone (text on screen) while the selction of graphics on screen are complete random.
Any thing I could try, any ideas ?
Your help is much appreciated as frustration starts to kick in.
Nic
Try disconnecting all devices from the eLogger. Update the firmware in the eLogger and disconnect USB. Then one by one plug in your peripherals and update them to the current firmware. Follow the same procedure for any other devices. Once you have all devices updated to current firmware and reporting as the correct device THEN do your OSD and other setup.

Good Luck,

Rob
camship is offline Find More Posts by camship
Old May 11, 2012, 03:45 PM
NL
Joined Mar 2010
6 Posts
Thanks Rob I tried your suggested method and initially it looked like it would work. I connected the elogger first did the update then added the GPS and OSDpro did a successful update on that one. Then tried to do the OSD display setup but then problems started again. After I clicked OK the application closed and I disconnected the USB. I then tried to check the settings by reconnecting the USB and restart the application. The firmware update part comes up again with following screen:
Name: wind1.jpg
Views: 47
Size: 52.2 KB
Description:
after selecting the update I get following messages:
Name: wind2.jpg
Views: 35
Size: 8.6 KB
Description:
Name: wind3.jpg
Views: 35
Size: 7.1 KB
Description:
A check on the firmware gives:
Name: wind4.jpg
Views: 37
Size: 51.4 KB
Description:
when I try to setup the OSD and then click OK results in this:
Name: wind5.jpg
Views: 33
Size: 147.6 KB
Description:
Name: wind6.jpg
Views: 38
Size: 8.7 KB
Description:

and I'm back to square one, after this the application starts complaining on the firmware versions again.

Any suggestions? thanks in advance.
Nic
Last edited by Nico_J; May 11, 2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old May 11, 2012, 03:52 PM
NL
Joined Mar 2010
6 Posts
Need Eagle Tree support please
Last edited by Nico_J; May 14, 2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old May 12, 2012, 09:47 AM
Moscow, Russia
Joined May 2010
31 Posts
My case is cleared by buying new Logger V3
Old May 14, 2012, 03:22 PM
NL
Joined Mar 2010
6 Posts
Buying new equipment always solves the problem. If I would be able to identify what part is defective, I even could consider to replace that part. Buying a complete new set is a bit to painful especially as the equipment is little over 2 years and has been used maybe 15 times.
I would appreciate to find a method of identifying the defective part, Elogger V3 or OSDpro.
Does the OSD pro work without the Elogger? Can I connect the USB cable directly to the OSDpro for firmware update?
Old May 16, 2012, 06:12 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Hi Nico,

Sorry for delay. It definitely sounds like a compatibility issue between your particular eLogger V3 and the USB on your PCs. Since it's happening on two different computers, I suspect that something has gone wrong with the eLogger's USB interface.

It's not possible to connect the USB directly to the OSD Pro.

One option, other than replacing the eLogger, might be to try a USB hub. We've found that this resolves a large number of USB related issues.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor