HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:52 AM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppridday View Post
BTW, what do you think about glueing in the shock cord at the motor mount area and letting it set and then doing the rest so the motor mount area doesn't pull loose when tightening up the cord??
Paul, I don't have half the experience of these other guys, but I think what you are suggesting still meets the "follow the instructions" guidance. That area at the motor mount gets a LOT of stress. Right now I have a Reaper on my workbench where the foam has torn under the Formica, plus the shock cord has come out of the slot. So, as far as I'm concerned, anything you do to strengthen that area is worth doing. Stick a few more lengths of string in there while you're at it!
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:58 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,250 Posts
What you are suggesting will work.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:07 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Rotterdam
Joined Mar 2005
301 Posts
OK, as I have not built mine yet nor flown any type of wing take this with a big ol grain of salt. I may be way out of whack here but if the motor mount area is where the foam is tearing/cracking the most on impacts wouldn't it help to pre tension that area? Instead of shock cord in that area, why not take a small diameter elastomer and install one end into a cut or slot that goes across the motor bay. Once that is in and the one end set with glue etc. stretch the elastomer enough to pre tension it but not enough to deform the wing. The other end could be held into the slot or cut with a pin until the glue dried. Just a thought...

Paul
ppridday is offline Find More Posts by ppridday
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:03 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
you could probably do that, but keep two things in mind.

1. That's a pretty complicated way to solve a problem, and the more steps/complications you put in, the more there is that can go wrong

2. The shock cord is not only much simpler, but already very effective. It's incredibly uncommon for an impact to split the cores, where a shock cord is securely installed.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:29 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Rotterdam
Joined Mar 2005
301 Posts
I do tend to over analyze things... This time it is just about something I know nothing about. . I'm thinking about getting into politics.

Just reading here it sounded like that was the weakest part of the airframe but I suppose there has to be some area that will give before the others. The rounding or "stress relieving" of the corners should help immensely.

Once I get home and start building I will ask normal questions.... Honest!!!

Paul
ppridday is offline Find More Posts by ppridday
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:26 AM
Been There, Crashed That!
Australia, WA, Geraldton
Joined Jul 2011
577 Posts
Two of the three Reapers that went to Geraldton are built, here they are, both fly extremely well.

Austang is offline Find More Posts by Austang
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:40 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austang View Post
Two of the three Reapers that went to Geraldton are built, here they are, both fly extremely well.
They look great and will be easy to see. Did you paint the cores or use different covering than come in the kit?

If you are flying combat it is important that the planes look different to help stay oriented on your own plane.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:57 AM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppridday View Post
I may be way out of whack here but if the motor mount area is where the foam is tearing/cracking the most on impacts wouldn't it help to pre tension that area?
I may have given you the wrong impression. There IS a lot of stress at the motor mount, but my Reaper went nose in MANY times before its current injury. Actually, I just took a closer look at it, and I believe the problem is compression, not tension. So I don't think more string, or more string tension would help. Same thing happened to my Titan, and I just injected some hot glue and she flies again. I'll probably do the same with the Reaper.
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:10 AM
Australia, WA, Geraldton
Joined Jul 2011
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
They look great and will be easy to see. Did you paint the cores or use different covering than come in the kit?

If you are flying combat it is important that the planes look different to help stay oriented on your own plane.
Thanks Lee, I used some colored iron on covering but I also used the included covering, they are a little heavier than what it says in the instructions but not much, it certainly doesn't detract from the way they fly, they are much faster than the Assassins we have got and they glide for ages, We love em.
They also have lights in them but are not connected yet as we are waiting on some plugs to be delivered.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:30 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,250 Posts
So you used a transparent colored iron on? They look good and will be easy to see.

From past experience white LED lights under colored laminate works great but colored lights under colored laminate get filtered and often turn out a different color and are not as bright.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:53 PM
Australia, WA, Geraldton
Joined Jul 2011
577 Posts
Yeah, I followed a recommendation of yours to use white lights and to face them into the wing that I saw on the Assassin thread I think.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:10 PM
UH60 Pilot
United States, KY, Fort Campbell
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
My version of installing a Gopro3 in the front with Velcro to hold it in. The bottom stays flush with the wing minus the two little tabs that are mostly aerodynamic. Shock cord still in place and can put the cutout back in. This will give you an unobstructed view as well.
E1Allen is offline Find More Posts by E1Allen
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:32 AM
UH60 Pilot
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
Planned on taking two plastic coat hangers and making a set of landing skids. I don't imagine them being much protection for the camera but it would slide along whatever surface.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:46 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,250 Posts
Look at the foam skid on the Herc Twin Puller. Something like that would give you protection.

The GP is twice the cost of the plane so I would protect it the best I could. We have one flyer who is on is third GP because he puts it on the nose and dose proximity flying. If he makes a mistake the GP is the first thing to hit the ground.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:26 AM
UH60 Pilot
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Look at the foam skid on the Herc Twin Puller. Something like that would give you protection.

The GP is twice the cost of the plane so I would protect it the best I could. We have one flyer who is on is third GP because he puts it on the nose and dose proximity flying. If he makes a mistake the GP is the first thing to hit the ground.
Are we talking about the stock foam skid on the herc?