HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2012, 05:07 PM
Central Maryland
Joined Apr 2008
253 Posts
Build Log
F-22 single 70mm edf build w/plans coming

This will be my attempt to build this F-22 from plans that I am drawing up from the 3 views I have. I also used a contour gauge on a plastic kit to help me with some of the curve lines on the top and bottom.

My plans are not complete and I will be updating them as move along throughout the build. Some of the parts may change as well. Build at your own risk as parts are not complete or tested yet.

The building material will be the Dollar Tree foamboard sheet sizes 20 x 30 with a thickness of 3/8" (5mm). So, I will be laminating sheets together for the build. I will be using Gorilla Glue for most of the build. Epoxy in specific areas and Spray 77 for the laminating process.

Specs:
34" Wing span
Change Sun 10 blade fan unit
Cyclone 3300kv Outrunner witn 4mm shaft
Cyclone 85 amp esc (may need to use 110amp esc)
Turnigy Nano Tech 4s 4000 mah 45c - 90c battery

Plan to use tailerons along with ailerons and have flaperons mixed if possble.
Will not have thrust vectoring or gear on this model. I plan to belly land this and hand toss.

I will also be using the canopy and decals from the Banana Hobby 70mm F-22 that has a wing span of 33.5" My canopy making skills are not up to par so I will cheat on this one.
VIDEOPRO is offline Find More Posts by VIDEOPRO
Last edited by VIDEOPRO; Jun 05, 2012 at 03:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2012, 09:41 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Hi Doug, sounds like a great project and looks linke you've got a good start on it too! Good luck to you, I'll be watching! w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jun 05, 2012, 01:19 PM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
cool! I'll be watching

I had a question though:
the $tree readyboard I just depapered measures 5mm's thick, its my first time using readyboard, does it come in different thickness'?

I like it though, sands a little smoother than the RCFoam depron I've been using, seems liter, definitely a little more noodely (not quite as stiff), but for a buck a sheet I can get used to it.

Joe
sloperjoe is online now Find More Posts by sloperjoe
Old Jun 05, 2012, 01:42 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
I'm not sure about the readyboard, I use FFF for all my builds, inexpensive, and extremely workable, not quite as stiff as depron, but it has it's advantages too... Great to see ya here too Joe! w.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 03:05 PM
Central Maryland
Joined Apr 2008
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloperjoe View Post
cool! I'll be watching

I had a question though:
the $tree readyboard I just depapered measures 5mm's thick, its my first time using readyboard, does it come in different thickness'?

I like it though, sands a little smoother than the RCFoam depron I've been using, seems liter, definitely a little more noodely (not quite as stiff), but for a buck a sheet I can get used to it.

Joe
Joe your right! Just looked at mine and it is 5mm thick after peeling paper off. It is a little noodely but it is easier to sand. I also think it is easier to use for curved sections etc. Well anyway I was drawing my plans using the inch scale so it was 3/8" that I was thinking and not 3mm. I will make that fix on the next release (update) plans. Will post pictures throughout my build along with directions as to what I am doing.

Thanks for watching!
Old Jun 05, 2012, 04:51 PM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
after I saw your post I ran out and re-measured my sheets to make sure....I would have had to revise my plans..
better you than me

Joe
sloperjoe is online now Find More Posts by sloperjoe
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:58 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Anymore progress?? W.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:50 PM
Central Maryland
Joined Apr 2008
253 Posts
Sorry Guys! No progress. If I continue this it will be slow going. A friend of mine decided to give me his second 70mm F-22 from Banana Hobbies. He had two of them and did not have the room for it so he gave it to me. What a sweet looking F-22 although not scale looking in certian areas but it sure flys nice and I am not complaining. I think he gave it to me to see how (mine now) will fly with the Cyclone 3300 kv motor and the Change Sun 10 bladed fan before he makes the changes to his airframe.

I will be building the twin 90mm version and hopefully get to that build late summer.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:47 PM
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,419 Posts

Not is a good motor for CHS-10.
Very hight Kv.
manuel v is online now Find More Posts by manuel v
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:12 PM
Central Maryland
Joined Apr 2008
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by manuel v View Post

Not is a good motor for CHS-10.
Very hight Kv.
What are you talking about! Very good combination and about the maximum kv you can use on the CS10 blade fan. Have been using it in my BH F-22 for the past 4 months with great results. That is why I did not build this home made model in this thread. Hand launches with ease. Will almost fly right out of my hands on its own without a toss. The Change Sun 10 blades have been holding up just fine. Just need to make sure they are balanced.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:34 AM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,095 Posts
3300 on 4s shouldn't be to bad. 2700-2850 is the sweet spot for them.
I would check the enamel color from time to time on the motor just to play it safe.
D_FAST is offline Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dassualt Alpha Jet
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:01 PM
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIDEOPRO View Post
What are you talking about! Very good combination and about the maximum kv you can use on the CS10 blade fan. Have been using it in my BH F-22 for the past 4 months with great results. That is why I did not build this home made model in this thread. Hand launches with ease. Will almost fly right out of my hands on its own without a toss. The Change Sun 10 blades have been holding up just fine. Just need to make sure they are balanced.

So, you're right.
Already check the numbers and the motor only works around 1290 watts which is 8.9 watts per gram of weight.

Where unable to work is with 5slipo.
manuel v is online now Find More Posts by manuel v