Old Nov 28, 2015, 05:13 PM
Find More Posts by Brutus1967
I convince things to work
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
5,420 Posts
Discussion
Nostalgia

This just happened to cross my path today, and I could call myself the owner for only 30 dollar....

They belong together (meaning the fuse was designed for, and built to fit that specific mechanics) but the trainer was not the mechanics that was used in the fuse originally (quite obvious, half the old mechanics is still in the fuse ).
The Graupner Ecureil fuse probably has been flown (but very little) and the trainer with the Heim UNI-40 mechanics appears to have never even run. Engine (OS FX46) is a bit corroded on the heatsink head, but appears to have never run also, and still feels OK, no gritty bearings or other bad signs

Should take less than 100 dollars worth in gear to get her airborne again.
Still have an ignition or two lying around, so this will also be another sparky project. It will get 5 x S3001 servo's and a simple G300 or G400 gyro, like it would have had in its days.

The StarRanger on the pic was from the same series (early '90's) and intended for the same mechanics, but due lack of an Original Heim UNI-40 mechanics, I fitted a Raptor 30 inside. It is just in the pics for size comparison.
Brutus1967 is offline Find More Posts by Brutus1967
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2015, 07:36 PM
Find More Posts by exf3bguy
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Oct 2011
1,826 Posts
Nice, I always liked Ewald Heim's designs. The Star Ranger was my fave fuse of the time. I had one with flybar less GMP Legend mechanics. Powered with a YS 60 and U pipe. That thing was ballistic in its day.

Speaking of Heim's influence, if you looked at the first MA Xcell helicopters, the tail gearbox and collective/cyclic controls were a direct copy of Heim's designs. The rotor head was a Schluter Champion clone and drive system/frame was GMP Competitor. The Schoonards basically took the best parts from multiple helicopters and called it an Xcell.
exf3bguy is online now Find More Posts by exf3bguy
Last edited by exf3bguy; Nov 28, 2015 at 07:54 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 07:29 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
5,420 Posts
Nowadays, a lot of Ewald Heims legacy is continued in the Vario SkyFox series....
Several major parts from Vario still will fit this heli or will be very easy to make fit, like the main gearbox, the tail gearbox, swash, Rotorhead (including virtually all separate parts of the head). Probably clutch and clutchbell will be possible to fit as well.

So for this little machine, I think I can keep her in the air for a long time to come.

Had a better look at the engine, it has been run, but not enough to make the ring even begin to seat. Propably just a 5 minute test-start or something.

I just placed the mechanics in the fuse. So far, I have to find a decent muffler (apparently this design did not use a reso-pipe but an ordinary aeroplane style muffler directly out of the fuselage bottom.
Also, the builder of the fuse obviously made his own tail drive, since it does not fit the standard connections on main mechanics and tail gearbox.

Nothing to worry about, but still....

It'll be an easy prject but I am not in a hurry.... Still thinking, will I fit Elec Ignition or not?
Last edited by Brutus1967; Nov 29, 2015 at 07:50 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:19 AM
Find More Posts by exf3bguy
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Oct 2011
1,826 Posts
Looks good Bert, there is a Heim Airwolf in the classifieds I was going to get until I noticed it was missing a couple drive parts. Sometimes I get the itch to fly a heli again but then remember that there is only so much time in a day.....
exf3bguy is online now Find More Posts by exf3bguy
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:53 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
5,420 Posts
As I said, there is not a lot of things on a Heim, that cannot be fixed with parts from Vario, although it might take some improv.... So that Airwolf is definitely fixable.

Truth be told, I would normally not buy anything Heim, as Vario has always been better (Vario started out as a manufacturere of aftermarket and tuning parts for Heim, so by sheer definition....).

But this one, I could not resist... Not for that price and in this condition....

And I always like to have something you don't see everyday. These fuselage-kits for the UNI-40 were even back then, very rare: I only traced one magazine review, and never saw one in the flesh (and I did a lot of inspections on used trade-ins for the local hobbyshops in the past 25 years)