SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 02, 2015, 03:53 PM
Find More Posts by ideas
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Dec 2010
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
It begs the question, why? Why not use the standard muffler?

I am not sure about there being back pressure problems if the size of the holes in the muffler exit and the baffle plate are the same as the standard muffler. If they are bigger diameter there could be a pressure problem.
The standard muffler keeps loosening up.. I just can't be bothered with it..
ideas is offline Find More Posts by ideas
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2015, 08:15 PM
Find More Posts by capt kurt
Atl, Ga.
Joined Dec 2012
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ideas View Post
The standard muffler keeps loosening up.. I just can't be bothered with it..
Have you tried using high temp copper rtv in place of the gasket and high temp thread locker on the bolts. I have 3 of these engines and this method has worked great for me.
Kurt
capt kurt is offline Find More Posts by capt kurt
Old Mar 02, 2015, 10:34 PM
Find More Posts by AA5BY
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
We're side mounted (90 degrees) so use of standard muffler would require some work for sure. May come to that. We'll see. -Al
I'm side mounted too, and did not realize that the standard muffler would have fit under the box... but it would have required really chopping up the cowl to install the muffler.... but I could test it with the standard muffler without the cowl on.
AA5BY is online now Find More Posts by AA5BY
Old Mar 08, 2015, 08:53 PM
Find More Posts by ahicks
United States, FL, Citrus Springs
Joined Aug 2008
1,808 Posts
Think we got the Bisson Pitts muffler issue solved...

Turns out, it was not the Bison Pitts muffler at all. After lots of frustration and messing around I was going over the fuel system again prior to today's flying session. The other day a member on another forum mentioned he had an issue with the fuel line nipple on his carb. His had come loose and he replaced the gasket with an O-ring. Anyway, this time as I was going over things again, thoughts of that note were the only reason I decided to check mine - and it was loose as well. Took maybe half a turn to snug it up again. There were no physical signs of an issue here. I have had this carb apart twice previously without noticing. After 2 tanks of fuel getting my nerve up again, the 3rd tank had me hammering on the plane with no signs of the prior dead stick issue present.

Others may want to have a look at that nipple as well, especially if you're having some kind of wierd issue.

-Al
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Last edited by ahicks; Mar 10, 2015 at 07:54 AM. Reason: spell
Old Mar 09, 2015, 11:05 PM
Find More Posts by drewtronics
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2014
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ideas View Post
Hello.. Nice muffler.. Where can I get one of them, I have given up on this engine because of the muffler coming loose. My next move is to weld the joints, but not sure I would like the appearance.. Let me know how I could get one..

Thanks..
Sorry I did not answer sooner, just noticed the post.

I made this muffler in my shop and I am not selling them as a product. With the tooling I have it would cost more than anyone would want to spend
drewtronics is offline Find More Posts by drewtronics
Old Mar 21, 2015, 07:35 PM
Find More Posts by supercollider
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
1,184 Posts
How's everyone's EVO 10cc doing? I had my Revolver out today and flew 4 tanks through it. Flew great, but the engine is kinda messy, I think I have a small exhaust leak. I'll check into it next week.
supercollider is offline Find More Posts by supercollider
Last edited by supercollider; Mar 21, 2015 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Photo
Old Mar 21, 2015, 08:07 PM
Find More Posts by drewtronics
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2014
50 Posts
Thats a sweet ride!

Best engine I have ever had.

I am at just over 3 gallons and still pukes a mess but its the most reliable engine I own.
drewtronics is offline Find More Posts by drewtronics
Old Mar 21, 2015, 08:16 PM
Find More Posts by AA5BY
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,814 Posts
With the bison muffler, I get hardly any oil on an Edge 540.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 07:56 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,808 Posts
Neither of mine are leaking at all (1 w/Bison Pitts, 1 w/Mac's), but I do get oil on the plane. Not a lot, but enough where I'm wiping it down maybe every other time out. These are both broken in I believe, but are still relatively low time engines. That may have something to do with it.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 09:01 AM
Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
2,260 Posts
Same here ,noted many times. Sealed both original mufflers day one and still OK after 6-7 gallons. Deposits are less than glow but more than a larger gasser. Performance is good and costs to operate are very low. I only have good things to say about these engines.
flyinwalenda is offline Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
Old Apr 23, 2015, 01:30 AM
Find More Posts by Watdazit
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
1,078 Posts
I have a love hate relationship with the Evo10. I have been flying my Meridian with an Eflite Power 52 on 5S and sometimes 6S and enjoyed lumbering about the sky. The Meridian has been on the shelf for a while but we have just had 10 days of rain so I decided to take it down and refit the Evo 10. I say refit because I did fly the Meridian with the Evo 10 at first for a while but found I could not get it running cleanly. I later fitted the Evo 10 to a Ugly Stik 40 but on my last outing I had a lot of deadsticks whilst the week before it was running fine. I was not a happy chappy. I took it out of the Stik and fitted a nitro engine and from that time the Evo 10 has been sitting in a box.

To be fair on the Evo 10 it was my first attempt at IC so I was green behind the ears. Now I have refitted it to the Meridian and done a ground test. With a Macs muffler (new addition) and with a 12 x 6 prop I tuned it to get 10500 rpm and on the ground and after running for 2 mins flat out the head temp was 150 deg C. It tends to stutter a bit when going straight from low to high throttle. I understand this means it is probably running a bit rich on the low needle. Am I right? It also seems to four stroke if held at 1/3 throttle but clears as soon as I get above. I understand that this normal with this engine.

As soon as the weather clears I will take it out again for another go. Fingers crossed I can get it right this time.
Watdazit is online now Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Apr 23, 2015, 07:11 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,808 Posts
A couple of us have found the fuel nipple on the carb (where the gas line attaches to the carb) slightly loose - and trust me, that will put you into a love hate relationship that includes many dead stick landings. Worth checking...

The engine loves to be run rich, but once it breaks in and you get used to adjusting it, you can dial that 4 stroking out of it and still run reliably.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 07:35 AM
Find More Posts by AA5BY
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
A couple of us have found the fuel nipple on the carb (where the gas line attaches to the carb) slightly loose - and trust me, that will put you into a love hate relationship that includes many dead stick landings. Worth checking...

The engine loves to be run rich, but once it breaks in and you get used to adjusting it, you can dial that 4 stroking out of it and still run reliably.
I'm currently flying two 10cc. One on an Edge running an APC 12x6 and it runs well without four stroking. The plane is fairly fast. The other is a Fun Fly and is running an APC 14x4 and flies much slower and enjoys the torque and it is happier set to four stroke except when the nose comes up.

An advantage of the 10cc is that its power band is wider and can suit a variety of setups. The Edge climbs to high altitudes but does so by momentum from its speed. The Fun Fly climbs and will keep doing so from raw torque.

Both run very well and suit their respective planes.