Joined Sep 2011
Typical thrust and current for BLDCs
I am starting off with my ROV design and I am a newbie here so may be you guys can help me. I hope to start making the ROV soon and will keep posting here much like Robe did a few years ago. Few questions first :
I am thinking about using BLDC motors thrusters so
1. Do I need to water proof them for use in fresh water ? I will be testing my ROV in the lake nearby (hopefully before it freezes)
2. I am inclined towards using a 900 kv motor with a 50 mm prop as it seems to be a popular choice here. Although I could not find much data on how that choice is made, so can anyone throw some figures for:
1. typical max thrust (in lbs) for this combo
2. max current sucked from the batteries at this combo
3. What other considerations do you all keep in mind while choosing the motor and prop ? Any drag estimates ?
what are the typical speeds that you get with the above combo?
I guess thats mostly it for now.
Will keep you all posted for progress
Brushless motors can be ran in the water without any waterproofing, I assume the controllers are to be in your housing.
I think the main reason for the choice of motor is to have one which will not spin the prop to fast and have good power just like the 900 kv, plus they are cheap
I still have no figures for actual power usage yet but I hope to soon, there was a thread started here in which someone was going to test different motor/props for comparison but it seems to have stalled before it started.
Anyway good luck with your build and please keep posting even if it is at the slow rate I update at
|Category||Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Discussion||Typical amount charged for simple Real Estate AP shots/vid?||philip frank||Aerial Photography||8||Sep 15, 2011 09:47 PM|
|RX battery - what are current typical approaches?||Aio_1||Hand Launch||7||Jun 27, 2005 06:04 PM|
|Cool||How much current is required for a typical glow plug?||Ejiro||Fuel Plane Talk||19||Nov 24, 2004 06:02 PM|