HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:51 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra68 View Post
And, if I could pile on... keep a bit of speed on the approach (by keeping the nose down, or flying a shallow power-on approach) and try to land with a very shallow angle of attack. Should you choose to try and fully flare out the landing for a buttery-soft touchdown, be forewarned that this Habu can coil straight up and bite you before you even get a chance to try and correct your mistake if you push her too far -- and any correction that you make in response, probably won't work...
Excellent add-on. Not that that has EVER happened to me before (LOL, yeah RIGHT!)

You can dead stick her in following the advice above. I regularly dead stick her in from a good 30 feet up or higher on approach, but as Cobra says, keep that nose down to keep some speed up to avoid that stall speed on final. I would NOT recommend trying any type of traditional flare. Fly her all the way down to the ground, even if that means keeping some down stick all the way down to prevent that dreaded nose pitch straight up scenerio where all is up to the Flight Gods at that point.
Aros is online now Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:31 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,309 Posts
Received my custom "I love my RC SR-71 Blackbird" vinyl decals today! Thank you! (Please forgive me but I forgot your user name and I didn't want to say your real name for privacy reasons...) I'll take photos once I have them on the back of my Expedition.

I can't believe it but I made it to Mission #30 with the same airframe! No damage repairs have needed to take place! Never thought I'd see the day. For any of you RC Habu nuts who can't get enough and find yourself bored, I've been posting a blog-within-a-blog of sorts documenting every single flight. Kind of a diary of proof to look back on one day when the inevitable takes place. I can look back and read PROOF that she flew all those sorties, LOL!

The thread is here if anyone is ever bored and/or curious.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:42 AM
I always find software bugs!
United States, AZ
Joined Nov 2010
65 Posts
Glad they made it! I was starting to think I had taken so long making them that you moved and I had the wrong address.

:-)
Kennamer is offline Find More Posts by Kennamer
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:40 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,309 Posts
Kennamer! That's the guy. Thanks again!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:52 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,309 Posts
Here's where I put one of them...Thanks again Kennamer!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:11 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,309 Posts
I'm resurrecting this dying thread to gloat.

I made it to sortie #40 on the same, clean, undamaged airframe today! Whoo hoo!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:13 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,974 Posts
Glad to hear!

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:39 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,309 Posts
A friend at my club was filming on his plane while I was flying the Blackbird. Not much to see but the fly by at 46 seconds in is pretty cool! (You can see it again at 2:19 below but that's about it).

september 24 with a Ultra Stick 25e , Then a SR-71 blackbird Fly Past ! "RAW" (8 min 30 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:48 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Hello guys!

I am new to this thread but have had my SR for a while now. I picked it up a couple of years ago as an RTF and it came with 40amp ESC's and a small 4S pack. At the time, I was new to flying so I had an experience pilot maiden her for me and she seem to fly great. I put it away until mid last year when I got a crazy idea to install two EPF Alloy Fans ( link is here...3700kv units) in my SR. After doing a heck of a lot work, adding 80amp esc's. 10 gauge wire and the fans themselves, I got worried that I couldn't put a battery in it big enough to really power them...and sure enough, with a big 5S pack, I pulled 120amps and 2200 watts... and they were still looking for more. However, the plane was REALLY heavy and so I am back to the drawing board.

It seems the best combo discussed in this thread has been Don's 4000kv motors. I don't have the stock fans anymore so I was curious has anyone used a better aftermarket fan? Is it better just to get the fan/motor/balance combo straight from Don and be done with it?

Oh...I also added rudders and the "whale tail" mod. It made a nice difference for me.
mray is offline Find More Posts by mray
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:09 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,309 Posts
Holy cow mray, those are some big numbers! But you are right. It doesn't matter the horses you have under the hood if she's too fat. The magic elixir is the combination of the right setup and weight. Trust me. It only took me 8 years and 9 airframes to figure it out.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:43 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Holy cow mray, those are some big numbers! But you are right. It doesn't matter the horses you have under the hood if she's too fat. The magic elixir is the combination of the right setup and weight. Trust me. It only took me 8 years and 9 airframes to figure it out.
Mercury Alloy 64mm EDF in SR-71 (1 min 13 sec)

Mercury All Alloy 64MM EDF SR-71 project V2 (1 min 48 sec)
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:18 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Quote:
What is your AUW?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:05 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,309 Posts
39 ounces. I used to be at 54. No wonder my older airframes didn't last long.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:00 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,309 Posts
Question for the fellas...

I brought my Contour Roam camera with me to today's sorties but chickened out. It weighs 5 ounces and is bulky. The weight would bring it to 45 ounces. Do you guy's think that would be too heavy or not worth attempting even with the CG still correct? I wanted some FPV footage with the 170 degree wide lens but I didn't want to risk her without consulting with you guys first.

Thanks!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:32 PM
--
United States, WA, Ravensdale
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
Question for the fellas...

I brought my Contour Roam camera with me to today's sorties but chickened out. It weighs 5 ounces and is bulky. The weight would bring it to 45 ounces. Do you guy's think that would be too heavy or not worth attempting even with the CG still correct? I wanted some FPV footage with the 170 degree wide lens but I didn't want to risk her without consulting with you guys first.

Thanks!
I haven't flown mine in a while, but I think my AUW was right at 48 ounces, and she flew just fine! However, I've got landing gear on mine, so my takeoff a are a bit faster than yours will be with a hand launch. I'd recommend that you get a good running start... and if it doesn't work out for you, let me know... I've still got a brand new LX kit in my garage... :-)
Cobra68 is offline Find More Posts by Cobra68