Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 13, 2007, 11:43 AM
Joined Feb 2007
86 Posts
Discussion
HOT Head; Is there a quick fix?

My 1/10 scale nitro antique gets really hot so hot the the chassis becomes too hot to handle. (alumminium)

I have tryed richening the needle settings but a trail of fuel comes out of the exhaust.

The head is plain alumminium, i tryerd wraping it in copper wire to increase suvface area, no luck

Any ideas? can i get a giant cylinder head?
Sir-Ipswich is offline Find More Posts by Sir-Ipswich
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2007, 06:51 PM
Love is like Pi: Irrational
USA, ND, Grand Forks
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
The copper wire could very well be insulating it, not adding surface area for further cooling.
You can buy larger engine head yes.
You can also add engine shim(s) to increase the displacement, but I have a feeling that the shims wouldn't do much.

Have you checked the engine temperature in the first place?
The engine could very well be running right, but a lot of heat is just transfered to the chassy.

For me, if the engine mixture is right, and it is running well, I wouldn't be turned away because the chassy is hot.

Ron
ronmeister is offline Find More Posts by ronmeister
Old Aug 14, 2007, 02:25 PM
R/C Freak
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2007
661 Posts
I used to have this same problem from my RC10GT. I simply used some spare lexan from a body that I was painting up and made some shims to fit under the engine mount to insulate the mount away from the chassis. The chassis still gets warm, but not as bad as before and seems to have had no negative effects thus far. (Shim was added 4 years ago)
Associated Freak is offline Find More Posts by Associated Freak
Old Aug 19, 2007, 06:47 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1 Posts
Try wearing some gloves.
rageworks is offline Find More Posts by rageworks
Old Aug 21, 2007, 04:41 PM
its hard living in the UK
Joined Oct 2005
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rageworks