Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 13, 2005, 12:55 PM
Liverpool
Joined Dec 2003
22 Posts
Idea
Carousel tug

These pics are of the next project a Carousel Tug. The model is based on a design not yet built. Novatug are at present looking for a shipyard to carry out the build. The towing point is based on a ring that runs around the superstructure. The ring allows the towing hook or winch to rotate freely without limitations. In addition, towing operations can be freely changed from bow to stern use or vice versa. The model will be 1/25 scale hull length being 42" beam 18" the hull will be fibreglass, working on the plug at the moment. Anyone got any details of this tug?
bgrunes is offline Find More Posts by bgrunes
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2005, 12:18 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
It's looking good, nice job on the cabin.
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
Old Mar 20, 2005, 10:36 AM
victoria, bc
Joined Oct 2003
747 Posts
I like the wheelhouse - where did you find plans for that? I see the style frequently on the new tugs but not great at reproducing them to model scale w/out a plan.
mike_victoriaBC is offline Find More Posts by mike_victoriaBC
Old Mar 20, 2005, 01:35 PM
Liverpool
Joined Dec 2003
22 Posts
The wheelhousew was drawn from a small bitmap image found on the tug company website and along with looking at pictures from other tugs a side and front elevation was drawn up. Working at approx 1/25" scale the wheelhouse was constructed by making the base shape with the top
shape fixed to the doors then filling in the gaps window by window making a paper template each time. This is the wheelhouse so far....
Old Mar 21, 2005, 02:25 PM
Joined Dec 2004
12 Posts
Looks like a very nice projekt, hope this will help you in your build. The pictures were taken at the Hamburg (Germany) Ship and Machine show, at the Novatug stand. Sorry about the quality, but my camera's auto focus was as you can see broken at the time.

Looking foward to follow your progress.

Brgds

Martin

Click at the pictures to view the in full size.

MartinVK is offline Find More Posts by MartinVK
Old Mar 21, 2005, 08:54 PM
victoria, bc
Joined Oct 2003
747 Posts
Looks like a skookum hull!!

Have you all seen this site?

http://www.hrfsbo.com/fireboat/

Not seen updates for sometime but the construction is worth looking at.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 04:00 PM
Liverpool
Joined Dec 2003
22 Posts
Thanks Mike for the link, excellent site love the construction method with Duct tape. Had heard about this type of construction before but did'nt believe it. Will consider for a future project. At present working on the plug for the fibreglass hull. Thanks Martin VK good to see some pics of the company model. Hope the auto focus is OK. The GA is what I have but only of a small file size that does'nt scale up to well but has served me well so far. Inital info from the company website has since been removed strange that it happened after enquiries for more info. Thanks again.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 05:36 PM
Joined Dec 2004
12 Posts
Your welcome.

If you don't allready know of it have a look at the IMCgroup.nl website where you can find info on the present carrousel tug Multratug 12, and also view more pictures of the company model tug in action on the water.

Use this lik to get directly to the picture area. www.imcgroup.nl/images/news.html

Brgds

Martin

Old Mar 22, 2005, 10:58 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,160 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the link Martin.
http://www.imcgroup.nl

They are having way too much fun with those models.

Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Jun 04, 2005, 10:29 AM
Liverpool
Joined Dec 2003
22 Posts
I've just got the hull out off the mould, as you can see in the pictures the plug had to be hacked out. At present working on a mould for a complete deck and superstructure base to make the hole thing water tight for towing situations as this design allows the decks to get very wet, see video http://www.novatug.nl/carrouseltug/braking.php#.
Old Jun 06, 2005, 01:30 PM
Joined Dec 2004
12 Posts
Looks very nice your new hull, I'm also thinking of of doing a glassfiber hull for my projekt of a 1:25 scale 53,5" length harbour ASD tug. However I have only little expirence with fiberglass, so if you have any pointers I would be glad to hear of them.

What kind of engines are you thinking of putting in her?

Looking forward to follow the progress on your build.

Martin
Old Jun 12, 2005, 02:41 AM
Liverpool
Joined Dec 2003
22 Posts
The problem areas usually arise if you have any sharp angles, keep edges curved and avoid any reverse edges that could trap the hull. Plasticine makes a good temp filler for any imperfections in the mould. I used a release agent which worked well rather than a polished/waxed mould, not as smooth a finish but at least the hull and mould separated with the added advantage that the release agent is water soluble which means you can force water between the two to help them separate. A good supply of small wooden wedges helped with the separation also. Dependent on you hull I found 2 layers provided a good strong hull with added patches fitted were required ie prop shaft exit points and rudder areas.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 04:55 PM
Crosby,near Liverpool,England
Joined Oct 2005
19 Posts
Hi Brian,
Remember me? I'm the guy who had this idea in the first place,who made the plug and gave you instructions on how to build the superstructure.Nice to see you making it out to be you're brainchild.I will see you at the boat club on sunday with my resignation as treasurer.
TorViking is offline Find More Posts by TorViking
Old Oct 27, 2005, 06:54 PM
victoria, bc
Joined Oct 2003
747 Posts
Forgot about this one - how's the boat coming?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:01 PM
Liverpool
Joined Dec 2003
22 Posts
Carousel Tug

Well after a long spell away from the hobby a recent visit to the local Boat Regatta at Crosby Model Boat Club rekindled a spate of building and also saving some damaged models from the rigours of storage, who knew mice could eat / damage so much wire insulation, form, plastic trim etc.

So here we are, the finished carousel tug, sailing well still a few teathing troubles, fuses blowing, propshaft corrosion and leaking, but all refreshed and repaired.

Plans to meet up with its twin (yes there is two out there) at the lake this weekend for a spot of joint carousel towing with another club member (Andy)

Hopefully post a few picks, if the rain holds off!