HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2004, 05:01 AM
Birmingham / England
Joined Feb 2003
483 Posts
Discussion
My first foam Bit Charge model

I am starting a new thread for this model as suggested. It was originally posted in the ‘working bit charger thread’.

Here are some pictures of my first attempt at wall foam modelling. I am amazed at how light this foam stuff is. The model with undercarriage but without engine and batteries weighed about 5 grams. Design was influenced by Ralph Bradley’s delightful Guided Mite. Plane is free flight, but would fly well and be lighter with remote control and poly-lithium batteries. Flew well from the very first flight and only needed minor trimming adjustments. Uses ‘Bit Car’ motor and gears, and two of the cars 50mAh batteries (wired to give 2.4 volts). Batteries weigh about 7.5 grams with switch and heavy wiring. Because wall foam is so floppy, the wing outline was stiffened up with one sixteenth balsa (red bits) sanded to one thirtieth near the tips to help it go round the sharper radius. Tail was also outlined with balsa strip. Does nice take offs and wheeler landings indoors and will fly for about two and a half minutes. I made the wing removable so that I could get at the ‘bits’ inside the fuselage. The tail is also removable. Model 14” span weighs 15 grams. Makes a nice diversion from radio, when all the frequences are taken. The batteries can be recharged in 5 minutes for another flight (simple charger built from info. found on Aeronutz web site). Iv’e had a lot of fun with this model over the last six months or so.
Plans enclosed for those interested in making their own version.

Graham
Graham Smith is offline Find More Posts by Graham Smith
Last edited by Graham Smith; Jan 16, 2007 at 09:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2004, 05:46 AM
What goes up must come down..
Canada, QC, Saint-Laurent
Joined Jan 2002
1,718 Posts
Graham,
it's a very nice plane!, tell me there is no where to see the joint on wing panel at center line? did you tried it with (1) one more battery? I like the pointy nose/prop arrangement, also tell me about the wheels where did you got them...its time for me to find some foam.. I looks like its the way to go! I beleive most of my question will be answer if I go and download the PDF file...it's really a nice plane!
Roger B.
rodair is offline Find More Posts by rodair
Last edited by rodair; Jun 09, 2004 at 08:33 AM. Reason: typo
Old Jun 09, 2004, 06:35 AM
Birmingham / England
Joined Feb 2003
483 Posts
Roger,
The wings are joined at the middle. It just doesn't show up in the picture.
I did anticipate having to use a third battery. but the power is just about right with two cells for this model.
As you probably know, the motors are really only designed for 1.2v and tend to burn up with the higher voltages, so I was pleased that it would fly on just 2.4 volts. ( I have often wondered how these cells compare with the sanyo cells, for power and output?)
The wheels are home made and cut roughly to shape from foam which is secured onto a 10ba bolt which is inserted into an electric power drill and then sanded to shape, using the drill as a sort of crude lathe.

Graham
Old Jun 09, 2004, 07:18 AM
Stuck on a rock
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
5,764 Posts
Adding another cell will almost certainly fry the motor in a short period of time. A lot of the Bit cars come with fairly decent NiMH cells. If you want some of mine your are welcome to them - I prefer to use Lipo for my R/C models.

Michael
epilot is online now Find More Posts by epilot
Old Jun 09, 2004, 08:10 AM
Jackson, Michigan, United States
Joined Nov 2002
1,388 Posts
I know i've already commented on this plane before...but thats one cool model!

Greg
gbarc is offline Find More Posts by gbarc
Old Jun 09, 2004, 08:29 AM
Joined Jan 2002
1,718 Posts
Micheal,
sure I would like some of these cells of you if you don't use them.
Roger B.
Old Jun 09, 2004, 08:42 AM
Jackson, Michigan, United States
Joined Nov 2002
1,388 Posts
Rodair,
I have some Ni-cad and Nihm 50 mah batteries. I don't use them as i fly only L-poly also. Gimme your address and i'll send them to you this weekend.

Greg
gbarc is offline Find More Posts by gbarc
Old Jun 09, 2004, 10:30 AM
Fanfold abuser
Rochester Monroe Cty, New York, United States
Joined Aug 2002
1,577 Posts
Super plans

Wow.

Great Plane and really fine set of plans. The amount of time you spent to completely explain the plane is really appreciated. I started edging white foam with balsa recently, but curving it around is a great idea/improvement.

I liked the box to seat the wings securely, that is a nice touch. Your gearbox plans are very detailed too.

Thanks again for all the extra time you spent sharing the design so effectively.

John
Jgardner is offline Find More Posts by Jgardner
Old Jun 10, 2004, 02:47 AM
Birmingham / England
Joined Feb 2003
483 Posts
Many thanks for your comments John,
I Have found a picture of the dismantled model. It can be a bit fiddly trying to locate the hole in the far side of the fuselage when inserting the glass headed pin through the fuselage (to secure the wings), it would want a guide tube inserting if the wings were continually being removed.

Graham
Old Jun 10, 2004, 03:35 AM
United States, VA, Clintwood
Joined Nov 2002
3,666 Posts
Nice plane and another great set of plans.
I see the GKM influence in the wing and curves of the plane.
I like the windsheild it's like an updatd guided mite yet still a bit retro yet futuristic Japanese cartoon like or something.

Billy
billystiltner is offline Find More Posts by billystiltner
Last edited by billystiltner; Jun 10, 2004 at 03:37 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 03:50 AM
QLD, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
1,548 Posts
Graham,
I can only repeat whats allready been said , the new nose on the GM really spices it up . And great Plans .
Stewart
clipclop is offline Find More Posts by clipclop
Old Jun 11, 2004, 09:05 AM
USA, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Feb 2002
1,902 Posts
Graham,

Ditto on all the cudo's on your plans. Could I ask what your professional background is? It would be unusual for someone not invloved in the graphic arts to have the ability to produce that level of work. I think I have about 40 planes I want to build when I get a "roundtoit" but yours may have just gone to the head of the list, with compliments to Ralph of course for being the leading force behind reviving the Guided Mite from Bob Coon's 1958 original. I really like the full fuse and had the Jiglet at the head of the list. My supply of wall foam is limited, and I want to be sure to invest it in the right project. Could I ask what your favorite glue is for working with it? Thanks.

Dave
Dave Wulff is offline Find More Posts by Dave Wulff
Old Jun 11, 2004, 09:57 AM
Birmingham / England
Joined Feb 2003
483 Posts
Dave,
Your assumptions are correct. By trade I am a graphic designer! Although the programmme used ‘Freehand’ is five years old and the programmes have advanced a lot in the past few years.
After trying white glue which seems hopeless I purchased some foam glue from Flight Hook, here in the UK.. (can’t remember what it is called until I go home and sort it out) So this is the only other glue I have used, so I have no other comparisons. You hold the joints together for a few seconds and it qrabs pretty quickly, So I am pleased with it. There seem to be a lot of folks selling foam glues here since the demise of The famous Bison brand. Graham (Stabler) sells something similiar.

All the best

Graham
Old Jun 11, 2004, 10:05 AM
Joined Jan 2002
1,718 Posts
we are getting a bit confuse here, Do you think Sir. that you can sing like sign S after Graham so we don't get confuse between you and the moderator.
it's only a type away.
Thanks
Roger B.
Old Jun 11, 2004, 01:43 PM
Enjoying the good life!
Ashburn, Virginia
Joined Feb 2002
1,941 Posts
Very cool!
Aobid is offline Find More Posts by Aobid