HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2014, 04:22 PM
Southampton, UK
Joined May 2007
771 Posts
Discussion
Dorset MFG vintage day june 2014

The DMFG held their vintage day the day after the Salisbury flyin and benefitted from the same sunny, light wind conditions - ideal for vintage - so someone has good weather connections - please put in a good word for the Cocklebarrow flyins.

I took a few photos of models in the pits - easier than trying for flying shots and for those - like me - looking for ideas for the next model and colour scheme ( I am still undecided re Cumulus covering and colour ) the photos in the forum can give me inspiration .

One imteresting model was an early KeilKraft larger Skystreak control liner converted to RC. It had no undercarriage and therefor looked very smooth in the air. After watching it do some really tight fast loops I checked to see if it had coupled flaps/elevator but it didnt - the original flaps were now ailerons. I built one of these very early in my modelling days - so seeing it again brought back memories

There were a few diesel engined models - one with a taplin twin - sounded nice in the air - cannot remember the model and the light reflections in the photo obscure the name.

A nice Southerner Major came to grief when the wings folded in the air and the fuselage went straight in to the sun baked ground with a resounding thud. The wing halves floated down later in their own time

There was control lining in an adjacent field - see if you can spot the little blue control liner at rest - no prizes.

The Bowden Bee was built by Phil Smith and you can just make out his signature on the wing. The owner told me the metal cowl came from the original Bowden Bee

The Spook gets around - it was at Salisbury the day before. It spent a lot of time thermalling the pilot seated comfortably on his chair - reminded me of the time I used to lie flat with the Tx on my chest - not recommended at my years as the body interprets the position as a "going to sleep" phase.

Photos being loaded in 2 batches. batch 2 following

John
John38 is offline Find More Posts by John38
to remove ads between posts