HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2014, 04:44 PM
United States, IA, Waukee
Joined Jul 2013
55 Posts
Help!
Need Help getting a charging setup

Hello RCG!
New to the Batteries & Chargers forum & relatively new to the RC hobby. I've been trying to absorb info on this thread, but wow there's a lot! I've been flying off-the-shelf quads for just under a year and I've been using the included 1S chargers that came with my quads so far. I've picked up more batteries and would like to up my charging game as well as plan for future use (I hope a scratch tricopter is in my future )

Right now I have a desire to charge multiple 1S batteries for a v949 (JST connector) and multiple 1S batteries for a Nano QX (Pico? connector). Also, eventually I plan on getting a 3S (I think...) battery for my 9x Transmitter. Also, I have an old 2S sitting around from an old busted heli that I'd like to know if it's in good shape to still use for something (maybe a boat or powered glider).

What I want is a relatively low-cost setup (based on iMAX B6/iSky/iCharger? or something similar?) that can charge multiple batteries or a #S battery. Something that can give me some idea of the battery's "health."

So far I'm a little confused on serial vs parallel charging of 1S batteries (or multiple charging of 1S in general) and I can't find a good setup for JST & Pico? (whatever the nano qx has)...maybe there isn't one.

Sorry if this has been hit on before, but I wasn't having any luck finding clear answers with search.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
NeoMatrixJR is offline Find More Posts by NeoMatrixJR
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2014, 06:35 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,557 Posts
Here is a good place to read about parallel charging. https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...arging-how-tos

What is your budget for a charger? What is the largest battery, cell count and mah, you expect to charge? You need to answer those question before a good charger can be recommended.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:20 PM
Joined Jul 2013
55 Posts
Budget right now is fairly limited. I just dropped $ on an 808 #16 FPV setup for one of my out of the box quads. I might be able to squeek out another $100 thanks to some recent craigslist sales . Largest battery? That will probably go on my future "dream tricopter" some day. I'm guessing I'm looking at a 3-4S 2xxx-3xxx mah lipo? I guess I don't know that yet.

2nd biggest battery would be for my TX. I was thinking of this one based on some recommendations. So that's a LiFe pack that can charge at 1.5A if I'm reading that right.

Also, I should mention that I have a JST parallel cable (dumb cable, just splits red and black wires), but I haven't used it yet. 1.) kinda scared to charge that many batteries all at once at varying levels and 2.) only using 2 1S batteries so far and 3.) one of those 600mAh batteries takes FOREVER to charge...not sure how long it would take to do them in parallel. Would a good balance charger and a parallel board help with the charging time issue?
Old Jun 12, 2014, 04:30 AM
Joined Jan 2014
2 Posts
Hello guys. what about charging a 4s 5000mah lipo battery with imax b6 charger. Can i charge this lipo with 2.5 A ? And how much power should i provide to the charger, 16v 5.5A is enough?

Sorry, my english isn't good.

Thank you very much.

Regards Slawek
salomon1502 is offline Find More Posts by salomon1502
Old Jun 12, 2014, 05:52 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoMatrixJR View Post
Budget right now is fairly limited. I might be able to squeek out another $100 thanks to some recent craigslist sales . Largest battery? That will probably go on my future "dream tricopter" some day. I'm guessing I'm looking at a 3-4S 2xxx-3xxx mah lipo? I guess I don't know that yet.

2nd biggest battery would be for my TX. I was thinking of this one based on some recommendations. So that's a LiFe pack that can charge at 1.5A if I'm reading that right.

A 4S 3000mah battery would require a charger of at least 50 watts to charge at 1C. Think about this one, at 150 watts and $46, it would meet you power and price requirements. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html You would need a power supply. This place can get you a 12V 700W PS for about $35. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2073199

Also, I should mention that I have a JST parallel cable (dumb cable, just splits red and black wires), but I haven't used it yet. 1.) kinda scared to charge that many batteries all at once at varying levels and 2.) only using 2 1S batteries so far and 3.) one of those 600mAh batteries takes FOREVER to charge...not sure how long it would take to do them in parallel. Would a good balance charger and a parallel board help with the charging time issue?

No need to be scared about parallel charging. Did you read the article in my first post? The charger and PS I listed above would be more than enough for your 1S batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by salomon1502 View Post
Hello guys. what about charging a 4s 5000mah lipo battery with imax b6 charger. Can i charge this lipo with 2.5 A ?

As I mentioned above you need to calculate the watts required. Please read the article referenced in post #2. Your 4S 5000mah battery would require an 84 watt charger to charge at a 1C rate. (16.8V * 5A = 84W). Your 50 watt charger will charge the battery but at a slower rate(about .6C). Yes you could lower the charge rate to 2.5A. That would be no problem. It will just take longer.

And how much power should i provide to the charger, 16v 5.5A is enough?

16V at 5.5A = 88W which is more than enough for a 50W charger.

Sorry, my english isn't good.
Thank you very much.

Regards Slawek
The key to charging is power. Power is measured in watts. To calculate watts multiply volts times amps. Calculate the watts required to charge a battery and then select a charger that will supply those watts.

Glen
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:07 AM
Joined Jan 2014
2 Posts
Thank you for providing the requested information Glen.

Wishing you all the best!

Slawek
salomon1502 is offline Find More Posts by salomon1502
Old Jun 16, 2014, 05:07 PM
Joined Jul 2013
55 Posts
Thanks again Glen for your info. It looks like from what you posted to both salomon1502 and myself that a 100W charger should more than suffice. While the accucel is nice I've 2 problems with it. 1.) it's out of stock, and 2.) HK's shipping is brutal.

You'll probably notice below but so far I'm a fan of banggood. I don't know if they can ship Lipos to the US, but so far they've been pretty good (and quick) about other stuff. Actually, I'm considering this lipo now for my Tx if it'll fit and they can ship it.

In light of that I was wondering what you thought of this: Casal C6P 100W charger - Reviewed here.

The reviewer states it may not be great for charging 1s batteries given it's minimum .5A output. My v949 charger I believe has a 5v .5A output so that should be ok, but my NanoQX USB charger states it has an output of 4.2V@.3A. It's this battery, which states a 3C maximum charge rate. Now, if I'm doing my calc right that's ~=.45A so this charger would kill those batteries?

Otherwise I'm thinking of the iMax B8+. It lists a .1A charge increment and is 150W. I saw some people mention some negative reviews, but I can't find them it seems (though I know some sites are more than happy to remove negative comments). I do also like the USB feature on this one.

I've been going over the site you sent. Lots of info there! On the parallel charging I had one question though. The page provides a lot of info about charging multi-cell packs on a balancer. Until I get one at least I'm just working with the crappy 1S charger my quad came with. I was wondering 1.) just how would charging in parallel work since each battery has an overcharge protection circuit on it (I think) and how that effects the red/green LED that lets you know it's done charging. and 2.) how does that work with a low .5A output over multiple batteries? Am I going to stress the charger (to death) or will it just charge all the batteries MUCH slower? Biggest complaint right there is that little .5A charger takes FOREVER to charge my 600mAh batteries. Unfortunately I can't find any data for C (in or out) on those. Do you want to increase the A output if you're charging in parallel to match the total C of all the packs?

Thanks again for the great advice!
Old Jun 17, 2014, 05:26 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,557 Posts
Quote:
Thanks again Glen for your info. It looks like from what you posted to both salomon1502 and myself that a 100W charger should more than suffice. While the accucel is nice I've 2 problems with it. 1.) it's out of stock, and 2.) HK's shipping is brutal.

You'll probably notice below but so far I'm a fan of banggood. I don't know if they can ship Lipos to the US, but so far they've been pretty good (and quick) about other stuff. Actually, I'm considering this lipo now for my Tx if it'll fit and they can ship it.

In light of that I was wondering what you thought of this: Casal C6P 100W charger - Reviewed here.

•coarse charge current steps
•loud fan
•no discharge to storage possible
•running programs can't be stopped with a button - you have to pull the power cord

Those put me off. Especially the last one.

The reviewer states it may not be great for charging 1s batteries given it's minimum .5A output. My v949 charger I believe has a 5v .5A output so that should be ok, but my NanoQX USB charger states it has an output of 4.2V@.3A. It's this battery, which states a 3C maximum charge rate. Now, if I'm doing my calc right that's ~=.45A so this charger would kill those batteries?

Don't be too concerned if you cannot hit the "C" rate exactly. A .5 amp charge for a calculated .45A would be fine.

Otherwise I'm thinking of the iMax B8+. It lists a .1A charge increment and is 150W. I saw some people mention some negative reviews, but I can't find them it seems (though I know some sites are more than happy to remove negative comments). I do also like the USB feature on this one.

Cannot say for sure. The higher capacity and finer charge increment makes it better in those respects. I like the high blancing current of the Casal.

I've been going over the site you sent. Lots of info there! On the parallel charging I had one question though. The page provides a lot of info about charging multi-cell packs on a balancer. Until I get one at least I'm just working with the crappy 1S charger my quad came with. I was wondering 1.) just how would charging in parallel work since each battery has an overcharge protection circuit on it (I think) and how that effects the red/green LED that lets you know it's done charging. and 2.) how does that work with a low .5A output over multiple batteries? Am I going to stress the charger (to death) or will it just charge all the batteries MUCH slower? Biggest complaint right there is that little .5A charger takes FOREVER to charge my 600mAh batteries. Unfortunately I can't find any data for C (in or out) on those. Do you want to increase the A output if you're charging in parallel to match the total C of all the packs?

You lost me here. Are asking about your current charger and batteries?

The charge rate for a single 600mah battery would be .6A. To charge two or more in parallel just add another .6A for each battery. (.6A for one 1.2A for two, 1.8A for three etc.)

Thanks again for the great advice!
Glen
Old Jun 17, 2014, 04:57 PM
Joined Jul 2013
55 Posts
Glen,

Yep, I was (for now) asking about the out-of-the-box charger in that last bit. I think that answered my question though...parallel charging via the original charger will be SLOW. It's a 5v @.5A charger. The batteries are .6Ah with an unknown max charge rate. If I wanted to parallel charge say 5 of them at once...what do you think my recommended output should be?

Moving back to the balance charger questions...I'm going with your advice. I'm either going to wait for the US site to stock it or I'll get it from "global" with a buddy code. It's 39.99 right now with buddy code and instock globally. I'll just have to wait on it. Shipping's killer but I'll add in the 1500mAh LiFe battery that should work with my 9x. I'm curious though if you know how the A-8 handles 1S batteries. It says it does, but it also says that it will through a "CONNECTION BREAK" if you don't connect both the charging wires AND the balance plug. I guess I'm curious how it charges and detects charge level for a 1S. Do you have to use a parallel board or something if charging a 1S or multiple 1S in parallel?
Lastly, are there any recommended accessories I'll need for the A-8 for my setup? (The LiFe battery for my TX, and the multiple 1S JST & pico connector batteries).

Also, slightly off base, but would this be good for charging standard NiMH AA/AAA batteries? I have a rapid charger for those, but I think it's killing batteries prematurely as they come out HOT to the touch. I was wondering if there was a AA/AAA holder that can be used with this since it says it charges those chemistries. I know typically it would be used to charge a multi-cell RC pack based on NiMH or NiCad cells.

Thanks! Sorry to keep bugging, but this is all a great help and I just don't want to get myself in a situation where I've got incompatible elements or it won't meet the requirements I have. Best case I'd waste money, worst case I'd burn the house down with an exploding battery pack! Best to be safe!
Old Jun 17, 2014, 05:53 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,557 Posts
Quote:
Glen,

Yep, I was (for now) asking about the out-of-the-box charger in that last bit. I think that answered my question though...parallel charging via the original charger will be SLOW. It's a 5v @.5A charger. The batteries are .6Ah with an unknown max charge rate. If I wanted to parallel charge say 5 of them at once...what do you think my recommended output should be?

It is still simple math. Five batteries in parallel at .6A is 3.0A.

Moving back to the balance charger questions...I'm going with your advice. I'm either going to wait for the US site to stock it or I'll get it from "global" with a buddy code. It's 39.99 right now with buddy code and in stock globally. I'll just have to wait on it. Shipping's killer but I'll add in the 1500mAh LiFe battery that should work with my 9x. I'm curious though if you know how the A-8 handles 1S batteries. It says it does, but it also says that it will through a "CONNECTION BREAK" if you don't connect both the charging wires AND the balance plug. I guess I'm curious how it charges and detects charge level for a 1S. Do you have to use a parallel board or something if charging a 1S or multiple 1S in parallel?

I expect you need a cable that will output both main charge/discharge connectors and a balance connector. Hard for me to explain. Someone who has a picture of one might jump in here.

Lastly, are there any recommended accessories I'll need for the A-8 for my setup? (The LiFe battery for my TX, and the multiple 1S JST & pico connector batteries).

I find that progressive RC has a good selection of cables, boards and adapters. http://www.progressiverc.com/

Also, slightly off base, but would this be good for charging standard NiMH AA/AAA batteries? I have a rapid charger for those, but I think it's killing batteries prematurely as they come out HOT to the touch. I was wondering if there was a AA/AAA holder that can be used with this since it says it charges those chemistries. I know typically it would be used to charge a multi-cell RC pack based on NiMH or NiCad cells.

Charge your NiMH batteries slowly. Typically at .1C. You can find holders for multiple AA and AAA cells at Radio Shack.

Thanks! Sorry to keep bugging, but this is all a great help and I just don't want to get myself in a situation where I've got incompatible elements or it won't meet the requirements I have. Best case I'd waste money, worst case I'd burn the house down with an exploding battery pack! Best to be safe!
Glen
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:41 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,191 Posts
NeoMatrixJR,

may I ask what charger you finally got?

-mike-
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:49 PM
Joined Jul 2013
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
NeoMatrixJR,

may I ask what charger you finally got?

-mike-
Had a financial downturn. All extra spending currently on hold.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:20 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,191 Posts
Bummer.
But at least it buys you time to get informed properly.

I have several chargers, from cheap B6 clones up to Junsi iCharger 4010 duo and bench test new ones on a regular basis.

If money is really tight it you have to accept some compromises (like charge power or a lower balance current), but for your needs and batts as small as you have to charge you may have a look at the new Imax B6 mini.

It has now an inbuilt cooling fan, slighty upped charge power, even an USB connection for data logging or firmware updates and - most importantly - is able to read the inner resistance of each cell.
Quite unique for a 40 USD (shipped) charger, and VERY useful to determine the condition of batts.

Basically its the successor of the genuine B6, but with all its flaws adressed
Mine came well calibrated, but it would never hurt to check ANY charger after purchase.

Regarding the Casal C6P 100W charger - I can't really recommend it for the cons I already posted in my review.

The new C6G + (on my test bench atm) adresses all these issues, is loaded with additional features (like adjustable power settings according to used power supply, IR meter, 0.05A charge current settings, etc) and comes as an extremely well built 400W charger, but is triple the price

-mike-
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member