HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2013, 08:21 PM
Punch it, Chewie.
United States, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Apr 2012
721 Posts
Question
Lift fan placement

Hi, all. I'm currently drawing up plans for a hovercraft, and there is one detail I have not found much on.
I've seen the lift fan mounted either vertical in the center of the craft or tilted slightly forward and closer to the nose, but no info regarding how much of an impact this makes. I assume that it is to keep the air flowing well at high speed.
Does anyone have any experience with this? If so, is it worthwhile to complicate the ducting and build by tilting the lift fan?
Thanks in advance, -RPM.
RPM314 is offline Find More Posts by RPM314
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drake
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2013, 03:10 AM
MHA webmaster
United Kingdom, England, Reading
Joined Mar 2011
203 Posts
AFAIK, the inclination of a front mounted fan is to do with the geometry of the hull to accommodate the motor and makes no difference to air flow. At model scale you can take advantage of the small size of electric motors relative to the fan/ prop so you shouldn't need to incline it unless it is very far forward. Unless of course you are building a scale model in which case it's more about the look.
jpcwebb is offline Find More Posts by jpcwebb
Old Mar 18, 2013, 02:58 PM
Punch it, Chewie.
United States, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Apr 2012
721 Posts
Alrighty then. Good to know.
RPM314 is offline Find More Posts by RPM314
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drake
Old Mar 21, 2013, 08:21 PM
United States, MI, Kalamazoo
Joined Aug 2011
76 Posts
Mounting in the front will make it easier for the air to inflate the skirt at higher speeds. The air wont have to travel to the front of the craft against the flow of water.
mpollee is offline Find More Posts by mpollee
Old Mar 22, 2013, 06:45 AM
Australia, VIC, Bass
Joined Jan 2013
48 Posts
if using a full flow bag skirt an angled fan won't really make any difference but if it's a no flow bag there could be some forward thrust produced depending on the design of the duct and the angle - some of the earliest hovercraft designs used this layout
windnsea is offline Find More Posts by windnsea
Old Mar 23, 2013, 05:41 AM
MHA webmaster
United Kingdom, England, Reading
Joined Mar 2011
203 Posts
I don't think we're talking about those early style craft here, if we were, the fan would need to be at an angle greater than 45 degrees, and in any case angled fans for thrust have been shown to be inefficient and more difficult to control compared to when mounted perpendicular to the craft with skirt takeoff. I really don't think it makes any noticeable difference to the forward thrust if you have a separate thrust fan, or to the performance over water.
jpcwebb is offline Find More Posts by jpcwebb
Old Mar 23, 2013, 06:02 PM
Portugal/Ovar/Válega
Joined Mar 2007
95 Posts
The best advantage you have by using a single angled fan/prop to provide trust anf lift (real life or scale model) is that you can lower the center of gravity of the craft by lowering the engine in the hull, without using any transmission (no extra mechanical parts nor extra spent money, no extra parts to break nor to inspect and maintain, no power losses...). I did it several years ago (1997/1998) with a nitro powered model and I will soon remake it with electric power.

bisonte terra (0 min 6 sec)

Best regards,

Carlos

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc....1.D3raA3lbGo4

http://www.ovarcraft.com
camoesas is offline Find More Posts by camoesas
Last edited by camoesas; Mar 23, 2013 at 06:35 PM. Reason: video link malfunction