HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:52 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,379 Posts
Quote:
I enjoy responding to things. How am I doing?
Pretty well, I'd say.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:54 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Awright
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:57 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilf370 View Post
Seemed to be an easy fix. if that area had been reinforced some other area would probly break .
Wilf
From my experience, with beefing up the landing gear areas, once that area was strengthened, I was good to go for the lifespan of the airplane.

Of course I am talking about 2 pound plus airplanes. Anything less than that I have found planes to be floaty enough and not needed the additional support.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:36 PM
Jim in the Desert
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Aug 2007
1,262 Posts
Another one, same guy...

Kadet Super Senior ARF Dynam Sr Nitroplanes (6 min 1 sec)

If you look at pictures of the Senior on SIG's website, you can see that what he says is true about how the fuse is constructed. I think the guy is wrong about epoxy on trainer airframes. But you can't dismiss all his points. I'm just sayin..... and this is all, buy your Nitroplanes all you want, and I might too..... you get what you pay for. I just think people should know that.

Seems like most people do.

The planes are cheaper because the planes are cheaper. Doesn't hurt so bad if you crash it though.
cloud_9 is offline Find More Posts by cloud_9
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drill Sizes
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:12 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Heh, the gear demo was funny, but the rest was as expected for a $120 80" balsa nitro trainer plane. He also bought a seized motor from Ebay, so there you go. I'd probably have fun with it. It needed some mods, but he probably saved 400 bux. It has its uses.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/90a270r-g...enior-red.html

Edit: Oh! He ripped out the gear from the first video. After taking the time to install the super strong landing gear, he didn't notice that everything in the undercarriage was unglued. Even after making the other wing/firewall mods (and that was after he saw what a piece of junk it was) From what I gather, he had flown two other Kadets.

I could have made this plane fly well with about 6 hours. Caveat etc and such. Good luck everyone!
Last edited by eagle777; Feb 11, 2013 at 01:46 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:56 AM
Jim in the Desert
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Aug 2007
1,262 Posts
Six hours to make it fly well? I'd need 60 hours! Of flight instruction, that is....

I don't think he saved $400 though, the Hobbistar 71" ARF is 169, and the SIG LT-40 70" is $210.
cloud_9 is offline Find More Posts by cloud_9
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by cloud_9; Feb 11, 2013 at 02:19 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:39 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_9 View Post
Six hours to make it fly well? I'd need 60 hours! Of flight instruction, that is....

I don't think he saved $400 though, the Hobbistar 71" ARF is 169, and the SIG LT-40 70" is $210.
Hmm, yes. I was basing on premium balsa 3D ARF plane wingspan/cost

Still, a lot of people will buy $100 cheaper for each part for a savings of a lot, then they will go to what they should have had in the first place in 3 months to a year (or 3)
It's a long and costly road that a lot of people have walked down. Myself included. If I wanted it, nothing you have said today would have steered me from this crummy trainer when I started flying again about 6-7 years ago. I'm pretty stupid TTYTT.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:32 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,379 Posts
A buddy of mine happily buys things from NitroPlanes and other cheap vendors, but only with the express intention of going over them and fixing everything that needs to be fixed... He also usually ends up giving them a master-class scale detail treatment just because he can. His view is that the airframes themselves are fine as long as you know exactly how to take care of them. It doesn't matter whether he's buying bargain-basement or top-shelf; he ends up putting so much into them that any quality differences get scrubbed out during the "preflight" process.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:52 AM
United States, NE, Kearney
Joined Dec 2011
2,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
A buddy of mine happily buys things from NitroPlanes and other cheap vendors, but only with the express intention of going over them and fixing everything that needs to be fixed... He also usually ends up giving them a master-class scale detail treatment just because he can. His view is that the airframes themselves are fine as long as you know exactly how to take care of them. It doesn't matter whether he's buying bargain-basement or top-shelf; he ends up putting so much into them that any quality differences get scrubbed out during the "preflight" process.
This says everything.

I go thru every detail on any model I get.
None of them are perfect from the manufacturers.

Even the $45, Piece-A-Junk 60 size trainer I bought at an auction (bought it to have a "disposable mule" for testing out new stuff I buy) got a day and a half of "fixit" in the shop.
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:02 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,417 Posts
I'm lost, why blame Nitroplanes for something manufactured by Sig? Nitroplanes didn't put it together did they? Did the pilot inspect the bird prior to flight? Why did he land that hard?

Kadet has been a staple of Sig for decades quite literally, the design is tried and true and works very well. If it didn't they wouldn't still be selling the kits.

I have purchased from NP before, just recently a plane for my brother for Christmas, the new 800 mm A-RC Zero he got me the same bird and I'm pleased with it, shipping was quick price was fair and the plane arrived completely intact and undamaged. Not bad for $100 bird. The only thing I had to do was sand out the battery bay to house a 3S instead of 2S and swap out the ESC.
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:25 PM
Huckfest or bust!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_9 View Post
Look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u96UgsEAJs

You get what you pay for.
That has nothing to do with Nitroplanes.
Those Sig planes that Nitro was selling are indeed the real Sig planes that Nitro was able to buy up given Sig's financial issues.

Regarding CA being used versus Epoxy...thats on the factory, not Nitroplanes.

Regarding landing gear being ripped out of the bottom of a plane...have you flown many of the older Eflite mini planes like the mini funtana, Mini Extra 260, Pulse, etc? They all rip out sooner rather than later if landing on a crappy field or with a not soo greased landing.

It happens.

Nitroplanes is not responsible for what the factory does that was contracted to build these for SIG.

The guy in the OP's video never showed the landing.. It probably wasn't as smooth as it should have been.
Seems disingenuous to post a vid of a flight and then cut right to the aftermath showing a ripped out landing gear without showing the landing itself.
lol
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:57 PM
United States, NE, Kearney
Joined Dec 2011
2,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
I'm lost, why blame Nitroplanes for something manufactured by Sig? Nitroplanes didn't put it together did they? Did the pilot inspect the bird prior to flight? Why did he land that hard?
NitroPlanes nor Sig manufacture the ARF's they sell.

As a great example, Sig went thru a change in ownership about 30 months ago after the previous owner had health issues.
Under his stewardship, the company suffered greatly.

Local people in Iowa bought the company back from him.
In that time, I had contact with one of them. In discussions with him, he revealed to me that they did not know what planes would be available in their ARF series because they did not know what was available in China. In other words, they had to go there, find manufacturers that had models "close" to what they had in their kit line, and work out what would become the "Kadet", the "Rascal", et cetera, if they could even find stuff close to those models.

Just as several places in Asia build electronics for US brands (or now, Asian brands sold into America), there are several RC plane manufacturers in China. Some are cross tied into similar craft... making foam protection for computers... or foam models for America RC consumers.
Balsa model builders also build light-weigh, balsa and ply, "this and that" sold into who knows what interests.

Short answer. Sig doesn't build the ARF's you buy. NitroPlanes... and probably no brand sold in America is built by the company selling them.
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen