HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:59 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2012
47 Posts
Help!
Found an old HPI, have a bunch of questions.

So after getting into flying, I naturally went and dug out my old rally car. I bought and built this thing years ago (2000ish) and put a new Trinity Caliber motor and used Novak Duster ESC in it. I ran it probably twice before Iost interest in it and it became a static display(I guess I was always meant to fly). Everything else is long gone from an eBay sale a few years ago. I'm thinking cheap 2.4 RX/TX from HobbyKing. I would like to keep the current motor/ESC setup, as I am not looking to really dump much money into this, just have it around for fun. Looking for suggestions on batteries, charger, and a servo. I am really clueless when it comes to LiPo car batteries and don't know where to start.
mountainman13 is offline Find More Posts by mountainman13
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:35 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,129 Posts
If the battery tray can only accept stick packs, this will be a nice car battery:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Just fit a connector of choice. You could take a Imax B6 or similar as charger, good all round charger that can charge a 2S lipo, like the one I listed, with 5A, so the battery will be full in less than an hour.

It's unlikely your speed controller will have protection against the lipo getting drained too far, so you will need a lipo saver/voltage monitor to prevent wrecking your battery.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:47 AM
Joined Aug 2012
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
If the battery tray can only accept stick packs, this will be a nice car battery:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Just fit a connector of choice. You could take a Imax B6 or similar as charger, good all round charger that can charge a 2S lipo, like the one I listed, with 5A, so the battery will be full in less than an hour.

It's unlikely your speed controller will have protection against the lipo getting drained too far, so you will need a lipo saver/voltage monitor to prevent wrecking your battery.
Thanks SPF. Actualy looking at a whole brushless conversion or maybe just leaving it on the back burner. I just ordered a Goblin. I have project ADD
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:18 AM
Joined Aug 2012
47 Posts
Ok, so I ordered that battery, an el cheapo HK15288A Analog BB/MG Servo, a $20 HK Rx/Tx, and a low voltage alarm. I am still running the old school brushed setup. Do I need a BEC?
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:27 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,129 Posts
If you got the GT-2 transmitter, Hobby King states the receiver can handle up to 6 volts only, but a company selling these under a different name states 8.4 volts as max input voltage, so you wouldn't need a BEC. But doesn't the speed control you have now include a BEC?

Edit: Looked for the manual for the Novak "Duster" and it appears to have BEC as the connection scheme for a car doesn't show seperate receiver power supply: http://www.rctube.eu/download/rc/ins...n%20Manual.pdf
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member