Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:00 PM
Vero Beach, Florida
Joined Oct 2008
220 Posts
Alert
Bad Batch of HiTech HS-65MG ?

Yesterday I received three HiTech MG-65's from my supplier (@$26.54 each) and slipped one into my 450 (elevator slot), the servo lasted all of three flights, luckly I was in the process of landing. As far as I can figure its locked up, doesn't appear to be stripped gears.

Put in a fresh servo, checked the blade tracking this morning and off to the field. It went out again on the third flight, same indication "locked up". This time I wasn't able to get it down without the nose going in.

The only difference that I notice between an old case and the new case is that the new case has somwhat more of an faint "Pass sticker attached .

I'm now wondering if I happened to come upon a batch of HiTech fake's? Has anyone else had a recent problem with the above?
wattflyer is offline Find More Posts by wattflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:33 AM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
One thing to watch for when installing 65 mg's is clearance around the servo case. It should not fit tightly into the frame! If it does, pressure from the frame will distort the plastic servo case, causing the gears to bind and jam.

If the opening in the frame is not big enough to admit the servo freely without pressing it in against resistance, the opening can be opened up slightly with a flat jeweler's file.

Another thing to do with these servos is elongate the mounting screw holes slightly outward so the screws fit into the servo tabs at exactly 90 degrees. If the screws slant at all, they will exert distorting forces upon the servo case too.
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Dec 08, 2012, 01:46 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,230 Posts
There are fake servo's on the market. Both Futaba, and Hitec. If you took one appart, and posted pictures it might be obvious.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:57 AM
Vero Beach, Florida
Joined Oct 2008
220 Posts
By the afternoon of the second day (gone thru 2 elevator servo's by then), I called HiTech and spoke to one of there tech-e, he wasn't aware of fakes on the market for them but spoke of binding and transmitter frame rates.

For the last and third servo I went carefully over the bird looking for any binding issues, servo end points, travel range, pitch travel, sub-trim, any roughness. I made sure that the swash would travel further than the servo would throw it. Well all to no avail, the third elevator servo went out too on the third flight, boxed it all up and sent it off to HiTech.

Thanks for the above replies, I'll double check the installation fit (no binding/forcing when inserting). I'll probably never know if the three received were fakes, HiTech has them now. I 'm currently building a Align 500 Combo package, but as I find time I plan to take an old MG-65 from another Heli and see if the problem arises at the same place (elevator servo going out after a few fights).
wattflyer is offline Find More Posts by wattflyer
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:07 AM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattflyer View Post
Yesterday I received three HiTech MG-65's from my supplier (@$26.54 each) and slipped one into my 450 (elevator slot), the servo lasted all of three flights, luckly I was in the process of landing. As far as I can figure its locked up, doesn't appear to be stripped gears.

Put in a fresh servo, checked the blade tracking this morning and off to the field. It went out again on the third flight, same indication "locked up". This time I wasn't able to get it down without the nose going in.

The only difference that I notice between an old case and the new case is that the new case has somwhat more of an faint "Pass sticker attached .

I'm now wondering if I happened to come upon a batch of HiTech fake's? Has anyone else had a recent problem with the above?
THere's no such thing as hitec fakes. There are futaba fakes. but in any case your not sharing more info about your setup. ie: RX,ESC,GYRO etc etc
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:15 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,230 Posts
From a Hitec service rep.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...16&postcount=3
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob