Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:47 PM
CPA# 39
United States, MN, Brooklyn Center
Joined May 2009
721 Posts
Question
Mini-IMAC????

I remember this term thrown around several years ago. What ever happened to it?

It would be great to fly a 6.5CC to a 50CC class IMAC event. Easier on the pocketbook, and a great way to involve yourself. Mix this with classic pattern and WOW!!!

I just found a great set of plans for a .90 size extra 300, a .60 class Ultimate, you could use the Goldberg Chipmunk, Great Planes Extras, Caps, Edges... Kits and ARF's.

It could be fun if it were to take off.

Opinions???

Brian
EscapeFlyer is offline Find More Posts by EscapeFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:39 PM
CPA# 39
Joined May 2009
721 Posts
I can see there have been several views on this, so I think there is interest.

Opinions???

Brian
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:54 PM
United States, VA, Fredericksburg
Joined Sep 2008
150 Posts
I think it would be great, definitely would make it easier for people like me who love aerobatics but can't justify buying a giant scale plane to enjoy some competition.
fyrc22 is offline Find More Posts by fyrc22
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:52 PM
CPA# 39
Joined May 2009
721 Posts
I need to clarify that I don't suggest mixing Mini-IMAC with Classic Pattern Flying. But having the opportunity for both options would be cool....

I'd say that building, assembling, and flying the airplanes is a great place to start. Start filming IMAC maneuvers with the more economic aircraft. Make it very public.

Opinions?
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:51 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,824 Posts
Just a thought.... Mix the two in a competition. have everybody fly the same schedules weather it be IMAC (Mini) or pattern. Both types are capable of either type of flying, so that is not an issue. "Mini Imac" will have be a different class than the "pattern" so each will have a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, place finisher etc.

When my son raced motocross this was often the case. There might be A, B & C riders all in the same race but all were scored according to their class.

Having a contest like this would almost be like an air show with all the different planes flying. I would think it would be more appealing to the public as well with the variety of aircraft. If room allows maybe two flight lines?????

Personally I like the IMAC style better. It is almost a coin flip for me, but I prefer the scale ish planes, although the pattern ships are way cool also. Especially when you add retracts The common denominator is aerobatics. A loop is a loop, a roll is a roll. We all do them. Now we would just be judged on how well we do them.

If this smaller plane, more affordable concept would work to draw more people to the aerobatic arena, then do what ever it takes. If the bug bites hard enough they will/can choose which direction to go, be it Mini-IMAC or pattern. At least they would be flying RC.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:19 AM
United States, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,630 Posts
I am a fan of this idea, and have been suggesting the same thing for years.
You can build a really nice 50"+-3" for under 600.00 including packs.
Compare that to the entry level 100cc plane with nice gear will be around 4,000.00
How would you structure the contest if such a contest existed?
I'm all for pushing an event like this, I think it would bring a lot of cool, nice planes about and would be fun for everyone.
I especially like this idea for IMAC pilots, something they can practice at a smaller field with less at risk...flying expensive airplanes can be pretty stressful at times.
Anyways, I look forward to seeing where this goes,
Ryan Archer
Invitation IMAC pilot
Ryan Archer is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Archer
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:53 AM
CPA# 39
Joined May 2009
721 Posts
Quote:
How would you structure the contest if such a contest existed?
GREAT question!

1st off, I would want to make sure this isn't a movement against the current tide that IMAC has evolved into. In a way, this ought to celebrate it.

You are right in it's purpose though... It brings the potential of participation to affordable terms for people such as myself.

I think it ought to be structured to mirror the current IMAC standards (relative to smaller aircraft). A lot of maneuvers are VERY difficult to pull off with the smaller airplanes, but not always impossible. It may even offer a bigger challenge in this regard and draw larger competitors because of this.

I am open to ideas.

Brian
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:48 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
3,824 Posts
The choice of airframes for the Mini IMAC is almost limitless. Just look through the Tower web site. If you can't find something to fly, you don't want to fly.

The trend seems to be towards the "modern" aerobatic scale airframe. There are some very good examples that are capable of anything you throw at them. I think they appeal to the public because the can see the real thing from time to time. The public can relate to that.

When I jumped back into the hobby a couple of years back I found IMAC. I thought to myself "This is what I want to do". That is until found out the cost, even for an "entry level" airframe.

Mini IMAC fits my bill perfectly.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined Oct 2011
246 Posts
Ken, I'm curious as to why you think IMAC has to be expensive? Granted most of the guys are flying 35% to 46% airplanes but it is not needed to be competitive in Basic or Sportsman. In fact in Basic you can fly anything you happen to have, it does not have to be a scale aerobat. IMO 99% of the guys who fly IMAC like aerobatics and large airplanes, that is the draw. Mini-IMAC was tried a number of years ago and never really took off. The economy was good and new equipment was coming out on what seemed to be a daily basis. At least here in on the west coast IMAC participation has dropped off greatly. I attribute this to the economy and normal change. I do think the idea is a good one and now may be a good time to re-visit the subject but I think it would be more successful trying to push participation with 20cc, 30cc and 50cc airplanes. A good 30cc airplane is capable of flying the Unlimited sequence while the cost can be kept to around $1,000. As for myself someone who " Had " to have 40% airplanes to be competitive is now happily flying 50cc. I do a contest every now and then as opposed to everything within 500 miles.
exf3bguy is online now Find More Posts by exf3bguy
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:37 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
3,824 Posts
A $1000 is a great deal of money to me. If I could get into a plane for around$500 plus or minus, that is something I can justify.

The 60 2C / 90 4C planes should be affordable by just about everybody. That is the attraction to me, and not just to me. i would think it would be attractive to many who want to try it out. Even if they decide Mini-IMAC is not for them, they are still left with an everyday flying machine.

As an example, My old trusty JR X-347 just died. I replaced it with a new Hitec Aurora 9 and 4 RX's. Still less than a new JR 9503. The problem is that blew my budget for the rest of this year and part of next. It's the way the ball bounces. I was looking for something new (airplane) for next year, but i will have to wait.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:36 PM
Joined Oct 2011
246 Posts
The thing that keeps coming to mind is the difficulty factor. Mini-IMAC would be a good way to get new people into IMAC but reality is that the smaller airplanes are more difficult to get through the sequences. Granted that most would not be flying a 60/90 size airplane in anything above intermediate. I still think the 30cc would be the way to go. if you shop around you would find that a 30cc airplane is not too much more expensive then a .90 glow model. Engines can be bought for around 250.00 airplanes are about 300.00. The really cool thing is that you would be using the same tech as the big guys. In a year of practicing you would be money ahead with the gasser.
exf3bguy is online now Find More Posts by exf3bguy
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:45 AM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
3,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exf3bguy View Post
The thing that keeps coming to mind is the difficulty factor. Mini-IMAC would be a good way to get new people into IMAC but reality is that the smaller airplanes are more difficult to get through the sequences.
This is something I have never understood I have a CAP 232, the one in my avatar. It will do any of the maneuvers in the IMAC schedule.

In fact it is much more capable than I am. I am the one holding the plane back, not the other way around. I agree a larger plane is less affected by outside forces, like wind, but that has nothing to do with the capabilities of the airframe.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:53 PM
Joined Sep 2008
150 Posts
It'll do all the maneuvers, just not as easily as a larger plane would.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:18 PM
CPA# 39
Joined May 2009
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrc22 View Post
It'll do all the maneuvers, just not as easily as a larger plane would.

So Mini-IMAC would make a better pilot out of us????

Brian
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:27 PM
Joined Sep 2008
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikebipes View Post
So Mini-IMAC would make a better pilot out of us????

Brian
It probably would!