HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2012, 05:05 AM
Sweden, Västra Götaland, Partille
Joined May 2009
493 Posts
Discussion
Silverlit X-twin AirDasher

Is the Silverlit X-twin AirDasher one of the good ones?
Its sort of 3-channels, with an elevator added to the controls, I´m pretty sure that the elevator is operated by a click-button, I know its a old modell.

Anyhow its on sale, in Sweden that means 199 SEK (about 30 US or 22 Euro), and as I really enjoy some of the other Silverlit X-twins, I am tempted to get a couple of these.

I did a quick search on this forum, but no thread devoted to the "AirDasher" came up, and the other threads seems too looooong to look through.

So how say you?

Tommy
jimjim06 is offline Find More Posts by jimjim06
Last edited by jimjim06; Jan 31, 2012 at 09:40 AM. Reason: meant to say On sale, not for sale.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2012, 07:45 AM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
847 Posts
Sorry, I don't know of this one, however it reminds me of the Rolling Fury which has all kinds of control issues. There is a thread about it.
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Old Jan 31, 2012, 09:58 AM
Joined May 2009
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteC5 View Post
Sorry, I don't know of this one, however it reminds me of the Rolling Fury which has all kinds of control issues. There is a thread about it.
I belive the Rolling Fury was called Acrobat 3D by Silverlit.
Thanks for the input.
Not sure, is this a picture of Rolling fury?
EDIT: my super slow internet just showed me that the Fury looks same as the Acrobat.

Tommy
Last edited by jimjim06; Jan 31, 2012 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Yup looks same
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:30 PM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,218 Posts
Jim that is the Rolling Fury also known as the Air Acrobat.
My experience, great planes but crappy radios, I had 3 and returned 3, mine would thrash themselves into the ground.
On another note, I recently tried ordering form Silverlit directly (weird problems) to get a Speedy plus and another Acrobat in Purple, I also want a Sopwith but they double the shipping on these things, and i am not sure how much punishment I can take, lol.
One thing I can say, those Acrobats are effin! fast! man, I hope you get a good one..
Petey...
Machy2k is online now Find More Posts by Machy2k
Old Feb 01, 2012, 04:29 AM
Joined May 2009
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machy2k View Post
Jim that is the Rolling Fury also known as the Air Acrobat.
My experience, great planes but crappy radios, I had 3 and returned 3, mine would thrash themselves into the ground.
On another note, I recently tried ordering form Silverlit directly (weird problems) to get a Speedy plus and another Acrobat in Purple, I also want a Sopwith but they double the shipping on these things, and i am not sure how much punishment I can take, lol.
One thing I can say, those Acrobats are effin! fast! man, I hope you get a good one..
Petey...
Thanks, but the one I want to buy is the AirDasher, and its not the same as RollingFury/Acrobat, check out the pics, The AirDasher has different wings/wingtips.

The Sopwith is an absolute favorite of mine, i have 2 and they both needed ca 0.3 grams of nose weight (taped under the engine cowl) to fly perfectly indoors, they fly well outdoors also in very low winds.
Broke 1 gearbox, but that was after many nose-landings, before I got the cg right.

Tommy
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:52 AM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim06 View Post
Thanks, but the one I want to buy is the AirDasher, and its not the same as RollingFury/Acrobat, check out the pics, The AirDasher has different wings/wingtips.

The Sopwith is an absolute favorite of mine, i have 2 and they both needed ca 0.3 grams of nose weight (taped under the engine cowl) to fly perfectly indoors, they fly well outdoors also in very low winds.
Broke 1 gearbox, but that was after many nose-landings, before I got the cg right.

Tommy
Yes Jim Correct; the Air Dasher, not the Acrobat, I meant that in Silverlit's world they are the same type, or class of plane..
Not sure if there has been a flight report on this one, hurry up will you, lol..
Petey...

Ps: so you recommend the Sopwith?...

By the way, these two planes along with the Sopwith's should have been a runaway success for Silverlit along with the Speedy plus, there should be many threads posted, boy have they slowed down....
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:27 PM
Joined May 2009
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machy2k View Post
Ps: so you recommend the Sopwith?...

By the way, these two planes along with the Sopwith's should have been a runaway success for Silverlit along with the Speedy plus, there should be many threads posted, boy have they slowed down....
Yes I recommend the Sopwith, its great fun and touch and go indoors are fun and quite easy, take offs too, just be careful with the "Throttle", too much and the plane will go straight up, loose all speed and possibly crash, about half speed will be enough for take off.
If you get it up to some altitude it will loop with throttle-management (no throttle to get it to dive, then full speed), mix in rudder (wich is semi-proportional) and all sorts of fun stuff happens!
Try to get it to fly straight without any trim-input, by bending the wing-tips as "Ailerons", cuz the rudder trim knob on the TX does not work (or maybe it does a bit, i dont like it anyway).
It will putter about nice and slow, for up to 8 minutes, if you take it easy on the throttle.

Sorry for some OT, back to the Air Dasher, finally got a network that will let me use Youtube, found som nice ones on the Dasher, this one sold it for me, I will order 3.
Sadly I cant get it for at least 10 days, as I´m at work, at sea...
X-Twin Pro 3D (3 min 53 sec)

There are some more good ones out there, but I liked this best.

Tommy
Old Feb 09, 2012, 10:09 AM
Joined May 2009
493 Posts
My planes are at my local postoffice!
I will pick them up at Sunday when I come home if its not to late at night, or Monday at the latest.
Next post is hopefully a mini review!

Tommy
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:26 AM
Joined May 2009
493 Posts
Had 2 succesful Maidens today!
Got 3 planes in the mail, one of each color Red, Blue and Purple, I let the kids choose, so mine is a Purple with "B" frequency.
The Blue one is for my brothers son, so we didnt fly it as he wasnt here today.

It was a little bit to windy, but we flew them anyway, had a couple of tree-landings, but nothing a well directed snowball couldnt take care of.

The Air dasher seems great, loops from level flight and its possible to fly inverted for a short while, I have to try it in calmer conditions, maybe this evening.
The elevator really gives this X-twin another dimension, I like it, if you find one for a reasonble price, like 25 Euros or 30 US, why not give it a go?

Looking forward to trying them indoors soon, my brother manages bookings for a gymnasium, a little longer than a normal basket ball course, we get our stuff together and fly there every now and then.

Tommy
Old Feb 15, 2012, 05:42 PM
Joined May 2009
493 Posts
Had a couple flights in no wind this evening and must say the Airdasher is a bit of a dissapointment.
Very wide turning radius, possibly too much for a basket ball court.
I enjoy keeping my X-twins close-in, its hard with the Airdasher, sometimes it wont turn at all, bummer...
Still cool with looping and inverted flight and so on... but the basic Sportflyer and the Sopwith, are way better for a tight area and slow, relaxed flights.

The Airdasher is different, faster but might still be ok indoors, I need to try it more before my final verdict, grade for now OK, but not more.

Tommy
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:58 PM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,218 Posts
Tommy Everybody was modding the radios turning ability, and for turning with elevator.
If yours are well behaved then that is great, don't forget the ones released in the U.S. had radio problems galore, I only got like 2 decent flights from 3 planes, and I tried everything man...
I was really impressed by the speed also..
L8r...
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:25 PM
Joined May 2009
493 Posts
Went to the gymnasium today, me, the kids and my brother.

Its possible to fly in a confined space, looping needs a lot of headroom, this gym is a little bit to low, inverted flight worked really well for me.
2 of 3 Airdashers came home damaged, the elevator hinges are weak, but fixable with glue or tape.

Still a great day, we had a full afternoon flying 9 silverlits, 3 Airdashers, 2 Sopwiths, 2 sport flyers and some other ones.
The original Sportflyer is still my favorite, the sopwiths are great indoors.

Tommy
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:32 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,537 Posts
NICE toy ....!

Although he stiill loves to fly with it indoors, my bird was easily outflying the little Avitron R/C bird outdoors [ http://www.mybionicbird.com/index.php?setLang=2 ], so I bought an Air Dasher which still flies slower than he can, but still within his speed range outdoors. I added more yellow, blue & green on the upper & lower flying surfaces to better match HIS colors and better hold his interest. I added a small subfin (clearing the ground for T.O.) and hairdrier bent the horizontal stab tips down to enhance spiral stability and allow tighter turns. For these and for fast climbs the simple non-proportional magnetic actuated bang-bang "up" is great. And for turning into the wind after flying fast, the "down" is a life-saver.

The loops are a good way to keep my bird's interest (he can do wing-flapping "loops" inside on a trapeze, so maybe someday ....), as well as human onlookers.

The plane easily fits into a small pointed-nose buuble-wrap bag I made to hang on my mtn-bike handlebars.

I like this plane (given its limits); my bird LOVES it!

Lee
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:07 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,537 Posts
update

After many unplanned and inelegant "landings", I finally figured out that there was a 2 second delay, especially in left turns, once the plane was farher than about 40'/12+m. That could be helped by holding the Tx over my head to elevate the antenna (old R/C trick) and by anticipating, by giving slowly pulsed inputs and by expecting a delay or cutout. Nonetheless, while my bird + onlookers enjoyed the wild antics, I did not!

Having painted it, and used it, actually, I couldn't return it, and as an amusing toy the delay is no great problem .... but I need more precision to best teach my bird (instead of having to tell him frequently that the stupid plane was being a bad boy, a concept he understands).

This plane was on B-band, which has been known to be problematic with other Silverlit items, or more prone to that. So in the store, with my B as a comparison, we found the C to be better than the A to be better than the B. Where "better" means Tx at a greater distance from the plane before instant control response starts to get delayed or cut out.

And the blue C is the prettiest, I think (my bird likes Blue & White birds as much as Yellow, Green & Blue [his colors]). It looks nice in the sky!

I tried it in slightly turbulent conditions in the small park, and after what I'd learned with the bad B model (B for Bad?), I really had almost no problem with it in every way but one > in some strong twisting gusts around the trees bordering the park, the plane would often stall and spin in. So I put on the subfin from the B and adding a smidge of washout (I would anyway expect some nonsense from such a light 3-ch motor-controlled plane in those conditions, but the slight mods should help a bit).

I plan to take along the painted-up B model and sell it cheaply next opportunity where there are lots of kids and parents with money ... (it is a nice toy, even if it didn't exactly meet my needs: my bird can circle the park twice during a 2-sec delay!).

Lee
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:32 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,537 Posts
B-band

After one "last" flight before selling it cheaply, I decided to keep the problematic B-band Dasher

In relatively calm conditions w/o too much turbulence (req. rapid control inputs), I can easily keep it close to me (a good excercise, anyway) and use it as an example for my bird; he tells it "gog, go" and "come" at the right times.

Wheels-off it is very agile and will stay up and controllable at half-throttle or less. I can also fly it slowly and land it next to me 8once though my legs) or catch it > the main point to demonstrate "COME!" to my young feathered Padawan.

I will use the C-band Air Dasher [with 30% greater instant-response range] when/if I trust him enough to actually follow it outside (as he does with the Avitron indoors!). [He already plays football/soccer with it, pushing a "large" light ball to or away from it as I taxi the Dasher into the ball ....!]

Lee