HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:57 PM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
3,996 Posts
Discussion
F3X Model Storage

I'm looking for ideas on floor storage systems for F3X models. I currently have a wall rack system but want to move my models to the floor. I'm thinking of maybe storing wings wings vertically with root section on the floor. Any warping issues I should be aware of? I plan to build a floor rack system but would love to see photos of other floor setups. Thanks.

Regards,

Victor
PDX Slope Pilot is offline Find More Posts by PDX Slope Pilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2012, 06:44 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,102 Posts
All my active models are in bags, hung from hooks on a contraption like a coat tree. I don't let them touch the floor ... potential basement flooding is an extremely unlikely but possible problem ... I take no chances, everything in the basement is raised minimum of 4 inches. I have never had water (knock wood).

Aircraft without bags are in a PVC rack originally designed for my van, long since traded, but the rack makes great long-term storage.

tk
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:32 PM
MCS / NCSS / SVSS / LSC / SAM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Jun 2010
1,413 Posts
Victor:

I have stored my wing panels vertically for a long time and never have had any problems.

I can take a closer photograph if you need but you can see all my wings are standing up. I use to put pipe insulation (split) under each wing panel but now just put down 2 throw rugs and it is more than cushion enough. If you look closely I put in an oak kick board to protect the wings from hitting the cinder blocks on the bottom.

The aluminum rods with the red tips should look familiar. They are Dubro Horizontal Wing/Fuse Racks. http://shop.dubro.com/products/produ...1.1.0.0.0.0.0?

I mounted some oak onto the cement blocks, screwed in the aluminum channel and adjusted each rod approx. 3 inches to hold 2 wing panels per space.

Vertical really condenses wing storage. Anyway, this is what I came up with. Hope it gives you a better idea.

Dave
David Olson is offline Find More Posts by David Olson
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:52 PM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Aug 2004
1,788 Posts
Damn, Dave, you've got quite the plethora of goodies!
concreteman is online now Find More Posts by concreteman
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:04 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,525 Posts
Yeah Warren, I poped wood over his garage.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:20 PM
United States, CA, Vista
Joined Jan 2008
592 Posts
Nice road bike too.
danfitz is offline Find More Posts by danfitz
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:07 PM
Joined Jun 2010
1,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by concreteman View Post
Damn, Dave, you've got quite the plethora of goodies!
Warren:

These photos are from when I came to my senses this past year and started selling several sailplanes. We all suffer from the same sickness:-)

Dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:15 PM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
3,996 Posts
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the photo. That really helps. I'm finding storing my wings horizontally is taking up quite a bit of space. So hoping storing them vertically will help save some space. I'll have to stop by and see it myself next time I'm in SR (grew up in Wikiup just a little north of you).

Do you happen to fly down by SSU? Seems like there were be some good flying spots off Petaluma Hill Rd in W wind.

Best,

Vic
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:44 PM
Joined Jun 2010
1,413 Posts
Vic:

PM'ed you. You are welcome to come by any time. Yes, we fly near SSU.

Dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Apr 2006
803 Posts
J Decker advised me once to store wings horiz with LE down to reduce warping

i am completing my garage remodel and have been thinking of storage and the 1 idea ive come up with is to build a cart/shelving with castors to ease loading into truck
im envisioning something like the orange carts you see at homedepot to load up while you shop except with more extensive vert/horiz bars
also would address moisture issues in basements/garages

any thoughts?
balsabozo is offline Find More Posts by balsabozo
Old Feb 03, 2012, 03:30 PM
Slopers Anonymous
USA, WA, Graham
Joined Feb 2002
243 Posts
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by balsabozo View Post
J Decker advised me once to store wings horiz with LE down to reduce warping
I heard the same thing and have been storing my planes in a closet in the house. I have a system works for right now but would like to change to hanging all the wings in 68" bags horizontally. I probably need two more bags. The bags fit perfectly in some long boxes I made for my slope rig so I should just be able to grab and go up to six bags. I still have to come up with some type of fuse storage in the top of my canopy, it's an ever evolving process.

Creg
bobbyjack is offline Find More Posts by bobbyjack
Last edited by bobbyjack; Feb 03, 2012 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Fixing Post
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:46 PM
On the Go Fly List
United States, CA, Concord
Joined Dec 2009
545 Posts
Vic,

Like Creg I have been storing my "active" planes in bags that hang horizontally and my "dormant" ones in plywood boxes, stored vertically, packed well and wrapped in bags. Just unzip the bag for charging and ready to load in the car.

I keep the boxes vertical with hinged fronts for access and can get four or five to a box depending upon the span. I don't have pics yet, but imagine five 8"x16"x64" boxes in a row. The boxes save a lot of space and keep everything well organized. They are also great for travel.

Can't beat Dave's Man Cave for easy access and cool factor, though

Whatcha got in the boxes Creg????

Adam
agarchitect is offline Find More Posts by agarchitect
Last edited by agarchitect; Feb 09, 2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:13 AM
Slopers Anonymous
USA, WA, Graham
Joined Feb 2002
243 Posts
There's a Volara in the white one, a Stingeron in the other and a Sammy in the one standing on end. The wings in the pink box are for a Mach1 and Contender (twisty stuff).

Creg
bobbyjack is offline Find More Posts by bobbyjack
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:45 AM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
3,996 Posts
Creg has designed a cool plane transport system. I need to get there but first a nice setup to store wings in my hobby room. I think I'll opt for a solution similar to what Sanders is going to do; I'll store everything horizontally. Pilebuck designed a nice shelving system for his MB Sprinter Van. Think I'll do something similar. Don't have any pics to show it but it's basically its shelving with deep pockets for the wings and fuselages go on the top. Everything is lined with thin foam to provide protection. I'll post photos when finished. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:21 AM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,901 Posts
I put in overhead racks in my garage--then store everything up there with leading edge down and enough room for "V-tails" up. Works pretty well and gets the planes up in an area that would be "lost space" without doing it. FWIW
Dave Olson--nice!!
T
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig