HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:20 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,975 Posts
NOW people will take more care to read posts #1-#5. and probably back up to hd. imagine if tom took those home with him. "you wouldnt miss the water til the well ran dry".

thanks for unlocking tom.
dave1993 is online now Find More Posts by dave1993
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:25 AM
Fly by Guzzi
Germany, NRW, Münster
Joined Jul 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
... So I am taking action to shut down the thread, and will no longer be participating here. ...
Hi Tom,

to shut down the thread would be a big loss to me. I like this cam, this thread and the people in it! I hope there are alternatives to make it easier for you to continue.
Falconerider
falconerider is online now Find More Posts by falconerider
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:27 AM
not running for the exercise
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhi View Post
I am very sorry to hear this - please reconsider!

/Jan
+1

Tom, your hard work is very much appreciated.
airmob is offline Find More Posts by airmob
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:37 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,494 Posts
I'm also glad to see the thread is still "open for business" - many thanks Tom!

Could I make a small suggestion for post #4 ... add a comment that installing the new boot loader is done using the same process as a firmware load. Some won't know this (I didn't), the answer is of course in the thread but we know how reluctant people are to use the search tool
Bill Glover is online now Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:41 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,196 Posts
#16 FW and GUI Download Repository

I have found that I can temporarily re-open this thread to post new Firmware or provide information updates. So I was pleased to see that my ability to close the thread was not a one way street, at least for now. Also, the closed thread appears to only stop new posts and can still be read, links are active, and Firmware can still be downloaded (I think). So for now I plan to keep it closed, and re-open it when the next Firmware is released in the near future (unless the forum moderator takes other action).

Closing to new posts for now is a good thing since I didn't like where the thread was diverted. It was always my intent for the thread to be a "self-help" repository of helpful information, mainly in regards to camera issues related to RC Aerial Video, where people with problems could look for and find possible solutions (if they would take the time to use the resources), and to post their aerial video links for enjoyment by others. But it became much more, with too much diverted discussion and users looking for quick solutions because they were too busy to access the organized help pages and search functions, resulting in a regurgitation of the same questions over and over. Very weary reading, indeed.

So my intent for now is to give the thread a rest and keep it closed until the next Firmware is released. And in the interest of supporting the camera developer, I will keep the thread open for a period of time after any new firmware release, mainly to get user feedback on it for any bugs spotted so they can be fixed. Once the thread posts start to become divergent again, I will close it back down to keep it focused and eliminate redundancy.

If you wish to know when the thread is re-opened with new firmware available for download, you can subscribe to the thread and configure your user settings to send an email alert of any new post to the thread. That way you don't have to keep logging on and looking to see if anything is new.

If any users have feedback on the numerous color settings, start to gather your thoughts in an organized manner, and you can give your suggestions for improvement when the thread is re-opened. The developer needs this information for further tweaking of that function.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:57 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,196 Posts
Bogus Extension Thread Started.

I deleted the post since it no longer applies... thread confusion resolved.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Nov 23, 2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: problem resolved.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:17 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,196 Posts
New "verified" #16 Seller for U.S.

At the developer's request, I'm adding to the verified seller list this "new" seller of the #16 camera here in the U.S. Though his U.S.-based eBay store was announced in this thread a short while ago, the developer's backing as a verified seller should put at ease potential U.S. buyer's concern for getting the "real" #16 as well as on-going service from an outlet here in the U.S.

Stay tuned for other new developments shortly.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:09 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,196 Posts
Last edited by Tom Frank; Mar 07, 2013 at 04:09 PM. Reason: obsolete thread
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:32 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,196 Posts
Thread Re-birth

I'm re-opening this thread, with greater emphasis on the thread purpose and posting protocol. I'm hoping the disruptions that affected my decision to close this thread will not recur. I've restated the thread purpose in post #1, which I'm asking everyone to now review. My intention is to keep the thread going as long as the thread's purpose does not get side-tracked again.

Thread user's co-operation with this protocol will be appreciated.

To differentiate this re-focused thread from another thread which stole the name to capture users from this thread, I have revised the name slightly. Any links which pointed users to this thread with the old title should still bring users here.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:37 PM
ptg
Barjetling Academy #1
Joined Apr 2005
349 Posts
Nice, Tom.
ptg is offline Find More Posts by ptg
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:38 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,196 Posts
Major Firmware Update

Nevermind! I forgot I reserved this post and already posted one just down the road.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Nov 27, 2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:45 PM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
Welcome back! ;-)
Mtz is offline Find More Posts by Mtz
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:46 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,729 Posts
I am glad you reopened this and clarified the first post

I did notice something about powering my #16v2 that Im not sure if others have ran into.

I have a dedicated 1A 5v regulator for powering the camera, and it gets extremely hot! I upgraded to a 2A and get the same results... if the max charge rate is anywhere around 700mah it shouldnt be overheating my regulator...

Im building a switching regulator to reduce inefficiency but just wanted to see if other experienced the excessive draw? I used a 1A wall charger with similar results...

Chris
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:06 PM
The Android Developer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Mar 2012
408 Posts
Java Configuration Assistant NOW supports USB communication

Java Configuration Assistant is now available in 2 versions:

Version 0.2.1.0 supports traditional Configuration File SYSCFG.TXT

Version 3.0.0.0 Plug-and-GO supports full-feature USB communication (including in-camera formatting) in addition to a major functional redesign that now offers a greatly simplified User interface with fully automatic operation; just plug Camera to USB port and GO!

Version 3.0.0.0 Plug-and-GO works on Linux and Windows (and Mac OS X once OS issue is resolved) and as with previous versions, you can change language (as many as 16 are available) on-the-fly. You can take a peek here.

Note: Despite several attempts on my part to convince the developer otherwise, Firmware Version v0.58 is not backward compatible with previous versions of Configuration Assistant. Therefore after updating Firmware to v0.58, Configuration Assistant Version 0.2.0.7 and before will fail with error message wrong value pair: 'TV Display Ratio'. The solution is to update to the most recent Version available.

On the positive side, this may be a great opportunity to update to the now fully automatic Version 3.0.0.0 Plug-and-GO with full-feature USB communication.
therau2000 is offline Find More Posts by therau2000
Last edited by therau2000; Nov 27, 2012 at 03:33 PM. Reason: add a link for a peek
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
I am glad you reopened this and clarified the first post

I did notice something about powering my #16v2 that Im not sure if others have ran into.

I have a dedicated 1A 5v regulator for powering the camera, and it gets extremely hot! I upgraded to a 2A and get the same results... if the max charge rate is anywhere around 700mah it shouldnt be overheating my regulator...

Im building a switching regulator to reduce inefficiency but just wanted to see if other experienced the excessive draw? I used a 1A wall charger with similar results...

Chris
My favorite charger is an old Motorola mobile phone wall charger rated at 550mA.
When charging only, it's pretty cold. When charging and recording it's warmish, but nothing like very warm.

I don't know what regulator you are using, but does it perhaps require a heatsink? I list all the typical currents drawn by the camera in post #1020, but I believe I missed the external power recording and charging. I'll measure that when I have the time and update post #1020 accordingly. I'll also measure the temperature of my charger!

You also don't specify the type of regulator you're using. I assumed an AC power supply, but maybe you're using a DC-to-DC converter, which may well produce more heat.

Like I said, my 550mA wall charger works perfectly, without any overheating whatsoever.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop