HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 18, 2011, 05:27 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,196 Posts
HD Lens Thread Size - 7mm? or 6mm?

In a prior post I mentioned the HD lens thread was "about 6mm" dia. This was estimated visually by holding the lens barrel in front of a metric scale.

With all the lens thread discussion, I decided to make a more accurate measurement of the #3 lens thread diameter. I had to remove it from the lens holder to get the flat portion of my vernier calipers on the thread, something I did not want to do previously and risk getting dust on the sensor array or finger smudge on the IR filter coating on the rear surface of the rear element.

But, it's good that I did because I got a reading of .273 in. My metric thread guide shows this to be much closer to 7mm (.2755) than 6mm (.2362)! But these are plastic threads, so the threads may be sharper and have a slightly larger OD than a metal thread would have.

It's probable there was some parallax error with my two eyes gaging the diameter against the metric scale, and the real thread is 7mm, not 6mm.

I'll let you thread experts out there be the judge, but this needs confirmation if someone is trying to find a better replacement lens. If I had a bricked HD camera, I'd do some tests with actual 6mm and 7mm nuts to see which it is.

Sorry for the flakey information!
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2011, 05:45 PM
SAINT-LOUIS (68) FRANCE
Joined Jan 2008
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cullip View Post
I just got my camera from eletoponline365 but I can't seem to get it to work.

If I push the power button (the bigger of the two buttons) the yellow led starts flashing: on about a second, off about 1/2 sec and just continues to do that over and over again.......
Tim
Hey Tim
I got the same behaviour with a memory card inserted. I'm not sure but it could be after using it in webcam mode.
After pressing the "reset button" ,with the cam disconnected from the USB port the cam works again .

Much thanks to all contributors to this thread .

A+

Edit : Another param.ini input could be the choice between HD720 30F/s and 360VGA 60 f/s
papayankee is offline Find More Posts by papayankee
Last edited by papayankee; Jan 18, 2011 at 05:49 PM. Reason: param.ini
Old Jan 18, 2011, 06:00 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayankee View Post
Hey Tim
I got the same behaviour with a memory card inserted. I'm not sure but it could be after using it in webcam mode.
After pressing the "reset button" ,with the cam disconnected from the USB port the cam works again .

Much thanks to all contributors to this thread .

A+

Edit : Another param.ini input could be the choice between HD720 30F/s and 360VGA 60 f/s
Okay, I admit I havn't been following this but, the yellow flashing could mean you don't have the memory card inserted or maybe you're putting it in the wrong side up (contacts up toward the button side is the correct orientation). Or maybe you could format the card with a standalone formatter like Tom posted.

The camera defaults to the video mode so it shouldn't be going into webcam unless you are doing something to change the mode.

Sorry, you've probably been thru my suggestions but like I said, I haven't been following this very well (like, at all )

I'll go back to keeping quite now.

Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Last edited by Yabba; Jan 18, 2011 at 06:05 PM. Reason: clarify correct card side
Old Jan 18, 2011, 06:02 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
In a prior post I mentioned the HD lens thread was "about 6mm" dia. I'll let you thread experts out there be the judge, but this needs confirmation if someone is trying to find a better replacement lens. If I had a bricked HD camera, I'd do some tests with actual 6mm and 7mm nuts to see which it is.
Tom

Thanks for testing that, and I'm glad nothing got harmed in the process!! I'll check my oldest #3 - it has the biggest lens, and if it looks interesting, I'll post. The #7 from HK has a much worse lens - focussed in center but not edges, so that's not a viable source based on a one camera sample.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 19, 2011, 04:05 AM
SAINT-LOUIS (68) FRANCE
Joined Jan 2008
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadaba2 View Post
Okay, I admit I havn't been following this but, the yellow flashing could mean you don't have the memory card inserted or maybe you're putting it in the wrong side up (contacts up toward the button side is the correct orientation). Or maybe you could format the card with a standalone formatter like Tom posted.

I'll go back to keeping quite now.

Yabba
My HD8o8 works well yesterday evening but this morning the same strange behaviour (blinking each second and nothing else).
When linked in a USB port the camera card is seen by WindowsXP with the DCIM and 100MEDIA (empty) folders in "M" disk (after on/off button pressed one time to be in on mode) but yellow led is still blinking while red led is on .

After depressing the on/off button the "M" disk desappear and the small icon in the lower right corner too.
Pressing "reset" doed'nt recover .
Yesterday evening I erase all files in 100MEDIA folders, may be this is the cause ???
I will try reformat the memory card.

I stay tuned .

A+

Format the card in the camera using SDFormater V2 -> nothing.

Card removed window explorer see "M" disk and the two DCIM ans 100MEDIA folders and the small USB device icon is still there ??????????????

In fact the card is a micro SDHC Sandisk 4 GB !!!
Card put in a laptop thru an adaptor : nothing. Card toasted ?

Answer : No since inserted in a non HD 8o8 I get 4G on disk "M" and I have the .MOV file recorded yesterday evening with the HD8o8

HELP !
Last edited by papayankee; Jan 19, 2011 at 04:44 AM. Reason: format -> nothing
Old Jan 19, 2011, 06:41 AM
SAINT-LOUIS (68) FRANCE
Joined Jan 2008
54 Posts
Yellow led blinking

To summary my issue :
A 1GB or 4GB SDHC card wich are OK in two 8o8#3 cam gives a continous yellow led blinking (1 /s) when inserted in the HD #11 cam.
The HD8o8 is right in webcam mode.

Any idea ?

Thanks.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:07 AM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
My HD8o8 works well yesterday evening but this morning the same strange behaviour (blinking each second and nothing else).

<<snip>>

Format the card in the camera using SDFormater V2 -> nothing.

Card removed window explorer see "M" disk and the two DCIM ans 100MEDIA folders and the small USB device icon is still there ??????????????

In fact the card is a micro SDHC Sandisk 4 GB !!!
Card put in a laptop thru an adaptor : nothing. Card toasted ?

Answer : No since inserted in a non HD 8o8 I get 4G on disk "M" and I have the .MOV file recorded yesterday evening with the HD8o8

HELP !
Listen, I'm no computer guy (as many here will attest ) but let me tell you something that has been happening to me and my computer.

Note that I ALWAYS have problems with my computer so I figured this was just "normal" for the way things go when I use a computer but...

Several times lately, after copying the video files to where I keep them on my computer, I would re-format the card. Sometimes in the camera itself (using Win Explorer) and sometimes by taking the card out and re-formatting in a standalone formatter (SD Formatter v 2.9.0.5).

Everything would be cool and I would go on about whatever else I was doing.

But then, I would try to type something (to RCG or in Word or in an e-mail) and NOTHING would work (on the keyboard). I still had mouse and cursor movement and everything just NO TYPING ALLOWED )

So I would re-BOOT my computer and suddenly all was good. I have no idea of what is/was going on.

But here's the real kicker....after doing the same thing several times to experiment and pin down the cause, it appears to only happen when I re-format with the card in the camera and using Win Explorer !

(just added) This is what may be of interest, also, when the keyboard would be dead I tried to insert the card into my card reader slot and nothing was recognized by Windows, no chime or usb icon or nothing. Checking Explorer, the drive/card was not seen. Re-boot, once again, everything was cool.

The times I take the card out and use SD Formatter, I don't seem to have a problem

Knock on wood, and I don't know if this will help you guys or not but I have had some strange behaviour using my #11 also.

Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:21 AM
Unregistered User
Joined May 2008
76 Posts
I just received mine, ordered on 24 december. I can confirm the timestamp removal as described in this post works: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=108

I think my heart skipped a few beats on step 4, but soon the light came on and the timestamp is gone

The webcam mode also works on my 2010 Macbook pro.
rfrf is offline Find More Posts by rfrf
Last edited by rfrf; Jan 19, 2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:38 AM
Joined Jan 2011
78 Posts
Stabilization? Extra mini gimbal?

Hi all. Just joined RC groups. I got directed here from the AR Drone thread. I ordered my HD cam a few days back so I'm waiting for it on the mail. I really can't believe the videos I've seen shot with this thing. And to think I almost pulled the trigger on a GoPro. Actually what kept me form the GoPro was the weight. My only 2 flying machines are a Blade 400 heli and the AR Drone. I expect both will have no problem lifting the HD keychain cam. Anyway I just wanted to ask:

Has anybody had success in stabilizing this camera on a small aircraft like the ones I mentioned? As I understand it, there are no gimbals small/light enough for the weight class of birds I have, but it doesn't hurt to ask. (After all this HD keychain cam is not supposed to exist!)
El Cuajinais is offline Find More Posts by El Cuajinais
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:00 AM
If it flies, I can crash it!
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,154 Posts
It's just raining cameras! My GoPro arrived yesterday, and it appears that my 808HD is arriving today.

Doug
djdavid60 is offline Find More Posts by djdavid60
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:06 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,196 Posts
Quote:
To summary my issue :
A 1GB or 4GB SDHC card wich are OK in two 8o8#3 cam gives a continous yellow led blinking (1 /s) when inserted in the HD #11 cam.
The HD8o8 is right in webcam mode.

Any idea ?

Thanks.
Very strange. You've ruled out a problem with the cards, I think. The blinking yellow typically means the card is not inserted, or if it is, the camera cannot detect it. But you say the PC CAN detect it in the camera when connected as a USB drive.

Can you access the card (i.e. copy files to/from the card when it's in the camera on the USB port? If the computer can see and access it but the camera cannot, the USB plug and the card socket on the camera would have to be making good contact on all the pins, and there would have to be something in the camera's card sensing components on the circuit board, downstream from the USB plug and card socket, that are not functioning correctly, I think. So the camera lights the yellow LED flashing trouble signal.

Is this an intermittent thing, i.e. does the camera sometimes sense the card and take video, or does it never sense the card now? If it's intermittent, there could be a cracked trace or solder connection somewhere, but these are hard to find visually. If it's not intermittent... not a good sign, and I don't know what to suggest other than seeing if you can get a replacement camera.

Maybe some one else has more to add?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:22 PM
Joined Jan 2011
12 Posts
S4 diode

This is about older camera version:
Camera will not operate. Battery will not charge - Due to a design defect in some cameras, the S4 diode in the battery charging circuit can fail. It probably fails because the absolute maximum current of the diode is exceeded when the battery voltage is low and the USB is connected. Only a very skilled technician with surface-mount-technology skills should attempt to fix it. Replace the camera.

Is there the same problem with this HD 720p car chain camera?
MarlboroCowboy is offline Find More Posts by MarlboroCowboy
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:25 PM
SAINT-LOUIS (68) FRANCE
Joined Jan 2008
54 Posts
Thanks Tom

The behaviour is exactly what happen without memory card : Tim post

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post17126234

Including the (bad) reported size of removable disk "M".

I guess the connector is broken.
I have written to the seller internet-shop365.
Now i may open the shell and look around...

A+
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:26 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlboroCowboy View Post
This is about older camera version:
Camera will not operate. Battery will not charge - Due to a design defect in some cameras, the S4 diode in the battery charging circuit can fail. It probably fails because the absolute maximum current of the diode is exceeded when the battery voltage is low and the USB is connected. Only a very skilled technician with surface-mount-technology skills should attempt to fix it. Replace the camera.

Is there the same problem with this HD 720p car chain camera?
No such problems have been reported, and if you look at the circuit board pictures in this thread, you'll see the HD camera has nothing in common with the old 808. Completely different video capture components, completely different circuit board design, completely different charging voltage control, etc. The ONLY similarity it has with the old 808 cameras is the case!
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:33 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,196 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Tom

The behaviour is exactly what happen without memory card : Tim post

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post17126234

Including the (bad) reported size of removable disk "M".

I guess the connector is broken.
I have written to the seller internet-shop365.
Now i may open the shell and look around...

A+
Your link does not go to the specific post... you have to click on the post number, pop up a window which has only that post in it, then copy that URL to your post to link it.

But, if a connector in either the USB plug or card socket were broken, I'd think the PC would not see it either, but could be wrong on that. Maybe a pin is just dirty or has lost a bit of it's spring force? That might be correctable if you can locate it. E.g. with camera powered off and not connected to the PC USB, wet the plugs with a little alcohol and insert/remove/repeat a number of time to see if that might clean and dirty off the pins.

In any event, let us know what the final resolution is.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 19, 2011 at 12:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Closed Thread