HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2012, 01:04 PM
United Kingdom, England, Shrewsbury
Joined Apr 2006
36 Posts
Can't resist building a Spyro

Hi Rich,

Have just discovered this thread and can't resist having a go at building a Spyro. It looks really neat.

A couple of questions:-

1) Are you still willing to supply canopies for a suitable bribe?

2) I maybe naive, but can you use standard h*l*c*pt*r blades?

If so, would these be suitable for the Spyro? http://www.giantcod.co.uk/325mm-fibr...-p-406189.html

Best regards, Richard
beltec is offline Find More Posts by beltec
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:55 PM
autogyro andy
South UK
Joined Feb 2007
723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beltec View Post
Hi Rich,

Have just discovered this thread and can't resist having a go at building a Spyro. It looks really neat.

A couple of questions:-

1) Are you still willing to supply canopies for a suitable bribe?

2) I maybe naive, but can you use standard h*l*c*pt*r blades?

If so, would these be suitable for the Spyro? http://www.giantcod.co.uk/325mm-fibr...-p-406189.html

Best regards, Richard
Hi Richard

Don't be tempted to change the plan. With this design she will fly if you stay on the same road. Any alteration and it may not fly.
The blades are very easy to make from the same sheet of balsa and a small piece of solder for tip weight. Using the same balsa makes balancing easier.

Metal gear servos TowerPro MG90S for the head.

canopies; I think some chaps have just added a fly screen, very simple.

Just watch your fingers with that hand launch!

Regards
Andy
HandyAndy is offline Find More Posts by HandyAndy
Old Jan 27, 2012, 06:14 AM
Joined Apr 2006
36 Posts
Thanks for the good advice Andy,

The blades will be made as per plan! I have started balsa/ply bashing and ordered the 6mm CF tube. Haven't had any success in locating 0.8mm GF sheet yet. I have got some 1.5mm FR4, so may have to file that down for the rotor head plate.

I have some TP MG90S servos and suitable motor from a fixed wing plane I 're-kitted'.

I shall post some pictures when the build has progressed.

Regards,

Richard
Old Feb 27, 2012, 04:06 PM
Joined Apr 2006
36 Posts
Hi folks

Just an update, the SPYRO II is almost complete. The fus is done and covered, just got to make the blades and install the 'lectrics.

Can I ask where your receivers, LiPos and ESCs ended up?

I shall be using a 3S 1300mAh Lipo (because I've already got some!) First thoughts are to put the receiver up front (Spektrum AR6100) well away from the ESC, LiPo in the middle and ESC at the back. Of course that may all change when I come to balance it, but I would be interested to know what has worked for you.

Cheers, Richard
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:32 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,685 Posts
G'Day Richard
Well to tell you its all a matter of ballance....I am sure that we have gone about it in a similar way.
This is how I set up my model.I like to mount the ESC on the underside of my models,in the cool air. (I think that I am living in a little warmer conditions to you)
I taped it to the underside /rear FUZ .The RX is mounted to the inside rear FUZ and the LIPO was up front.I am also using the same size Lipo as you.Sorry about the Quality of the pic's( rush job)
Happy Landings................
Chris..............
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:21 AM
Joined Apr 2006
36 Posts
Thanks for the pictures Chris, they are really usefull. Looks like the LiPo will be at the front then!

I like the removable canopy. I see you have used a universal joint at the head - same here!

Here is a picture of my Spiro so far.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:29 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,808 Posts
Looking Good Richard

I always use a piece of foam in the nose before I put my battery in just as added protection.
Like the head!

Regards

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:04 AM
United Kingdom, Gt Lon
Joined Jan 2010
91 Posts
To Beltec.
Where did you get the universal joint from?
regards Jeff
jeffstu is offline Find More Posts by jeffstu
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:09 AM
United Kingdom, England, East Grinstead
Joined Nov 2007
117 Posts
This is going to be my next autogyro, I really like the look of it. Could one of the HK head assemblies be used instead? Happy to build as per plan, but I have a couple knocking around and it would speed up my build.

Cheers,
Simon
Si_B is offline Find More Posts by Si_B
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:49 AM
Joined Apr 2006
36 Posts
Hi Jeff,

UJ's can be found on ebay from various suppliers (e.g. riversidemodels-direct)
They are available with various shaft/thread sizes.

Maplin also sell them - item N12BQ

Cheers, Richard
Old Feb 29, 2012, 04:27 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,808 Posts
Simon,
I think the HK head will be fine on the Spyro, the original MKI had the UV joint on and the plan version used the rubber pipe as it was cheap and easy.

They all work out the same, its good to see different ideas

Regards
Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Mar 04, 2012, 09:46 PM
United States, AZ, Goodyear
Joined Mar 2012
3 Posts
Finally got through reading the threads. Really good job on this, Rich. I'm getting a parts list together so I can budget this thing in and start the build in a few months (currently putting a 3DHS VR-1 together). People will think I have commitment issues when I get to the field and pull out a helicopter, 3D plane, and a gyro. I see a few of you are talking about a HK head- any way I can get a link? I've not found one on their site.
opie1knobe is offline Find More Posts by opie1knobe
Old Mar 04, 2012, 10:15 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,685 Posts
If you go into model kits "Replacement Parts " You will find them hiding there......... ..$ 7.99 ....
Chris.......................
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Last edited by britinoz; Mar 04, 2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 02:16 PM
Joined Apr 2006
36 Posts
OK - progress report on my SPYRO III build.

I have finished the blades and done the 'angles and dangles' and all is OK.

However, I'm still scratching my head about correct direction for the roll trim.

For the SPYRO III the roll trim setting is stated as '2 degrees to the right (looking from behind)'.

However, looking at Rich's article on the RPG Gyro in June 2011 RCMW , the roll trim is given as '4 degrees of left trim', which is opposite to the SPYRO.

Both models are similar in that they are both pushers and three bladed counter rotating rotors, so why the difference in roll trim direction?

Sorry if I am missing the obvious, but the more Gyro threads I read the more confused I get!

Many thanks to Rich for publishing this design, it's certainly exercising the 'little grey cells'.

Richard
Old Mar 17, 2012, 03:32 PM
Joined Apr 2006
36 Posts
Well, if anyone is still following this thread, I'm pleased to report that I maidened my Spyro today. I've never flown an Autogyro before, I do like a challenge! A club member hand launched it for me and the Spyro managed about 50ft straight flight gradually sinking to the ground (I was flying at 3/4 throttle). It seemed quite happy running along the ground so I gave it full throttle and it took off again, so hand launch AND ROG for the first flight!

Had to give the rotors LEFT trim obtain straight flight. The second flight was not so successful and ended in a heavy landing, snapping the fin off (nothing a touch glue won't fix). It was difficult maintaining height, which I think is due to insufficient power. I'm using the specified motor and 6x3 EMP prop which draws only 110W. I'll try a 7x5 next flight to see if that improves matters.

Curse you Rich, I'm bitten by the Gyro bug now!

p.s. Mad max II was on the TV last night - hadn't noticed the Gyrocopter before!

Richard