HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old May 27, 2010, 10:57 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, MT, Missoula
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Great cheap add-on for my Futaba 9C with Spektrum module. I didn't have to do any mods...just plug and play. I get 3200-3500 without and 6000' with. Been using it now for 6 months without a single problem and a much better RC link then before as the Spektrum logger shows no fail safes where before at 3500' I would get several. Just a better link for flying under 1-1/2 miles...not really a LRS like 5 miles but works for my flying with helis

Crash9 is offline Find More Posts by Crash9
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2010, 11:05 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,567 Posts
Hey Crash, you using the attenuator with that?

Thanks!
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old May 27, 2010, 11:14 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, MT, Missoula
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxiex View Post
Hey Crash, you using the attenuator with that?

Thanks!
Not at first but I do now. Sertek 5 dB Coaxial DC - 4GHz 5dB

another note: Just about everyone at my local field flies 2.4Ghz nowadays and no crashes from lock outs to report from my booster...we do stay 25+ feet apart which is highly recommended.
Crash9 is offline Find More Posts by Crash9
Old May 28, 2010, 01:46 AM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2008
1,517 Posts
How about 2W
http://cgi.ebay.com/Powerful-2W-333D...ht_3150wt_1296
tushev is offline Find More Posts by tushev
Old May 28, 2010, 05:33 AM
UK
Joined Mar 2009
1,111 Posts
This Thread started off as a very informative reference, to those working on their 2.4GHz Spektrum R/C gear. They/We choose to use this control system for our own reasons. Be it convenience, financial reasons, or other.....

Then from late on Page 3 / well into Page 4, the preachers arrived, and tore this Thread up, with repeated references to Spektrum = poor range, resulting in guaranteed lockout! So we DON'T run the super UHF systems that you have been using since the stone-age! Who cares! Also just cos you run UHF, doesn't make you 'superior'.

Yet we still enjoy our FPV hobby as much as you do, even if it means we dont fly out 5, 10, 15 miles into space, that you all repeatedly bang on about.

It's ok to state facts, we know we will never get near YOUR R/C range, but dont constantly knock us down, just cos we run an "inferior" R/C system to you.

Back on track.
jetstreaming is offline Find More Posts by jetstreaming
Last edited by jetstreaming; May 28, 2010 at 05:39 AM.
Old May 28, 2010, 05:45 AM
Joined May 2004
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetstreaming View Post
This Thread started off as a very informative reference, to those working on their 2.4GHz Spektrum R/C gear. They/We choose to use this control system for our own reasons. Be it convenience, financial reasons, or other.....

Then from late on Page 3 / well into Page 4, the preachers arrived, and tore this Thread up, with repeated references to Spektrum = poor range, resulting in guaranteed lockout! So we DON'T run the super UHF systems that you have been using since the stone-age! Who cares! Also just cos you run UHF, doesn't make you 'superior'.

Yet we still enjoy our FPV hobby as much as you do, even if it means we dont fly out 5, 10, 15 miles into space, that you all repeatedly bang on about.

It's ok to state facts, we know we will never get near YOUR R/C range, but dont constantly knock us down, just cos we run an "inferior" R/C system to you.

Back on track.
"AMEN!"

I can't wait to try this out on my DX7!

Dave
HobbyCNC is offline Find More Posts by HobbyCNC
Old May 28, 2010, 06:33 AM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tushev View Post
If the quality of the case is an indication of the contents its worth $70.
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Old May 28, 2010, 06:46 AM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,656 Posts
That thing looks like ..... If you read down a bit it states it's 2W then 3000mw. I'll stick with my HSB2.
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old May 28, 2010, 06:47 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
jetstreaming: sorry, but there is simply no reason to use Spektrum gear, that's what I've been saying. Please read what I write, then I can keep my contributions to a minimum. The old gear (72 / 35) will work better, be cheaper (in the short and especially in the long run) and it will give you longer range on 100mW than your 500mW booster ever will. There really is no good reason to run spektrum gear, other than you've already bitten the bullet and own a system like that. You can then think about what's cheaper: buying and adding a RTH system to your plane as well as adding a booster and still ending up with something that won't go more than 1.5 miles RELIABLY, or trading in your spektrum gear with other visual pilots "upgrading" from 72. End result is same range, added reliability, cheaper equipment and, most importantly, not additionally polluting the 2.4GHz band that your fellow pilots will love you so deerly for.

Yes, this thread is informative. But regardless of what you do to your Spektrum gear, you will end up with a very dangerous way of controlling your plane and a lot of money spent. I'm not even mentioning UHF systems as they are an add-on also to Spektrum TXs, and they will outperform everything else. My concerns are purely 72/35 vs. 2.4GHz.
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Old May 28, 2010, 08:45 AM
crd
Always thinkering
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2006
1,201 Posts
^^^^^ I choose 2.4ghz over 72mhz anyday and more now with this mod, I just cant stand the Whip antennas and poor battery life that I have with my old 72mhz TX's.
crd is offline Find More Posts by crd
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2010, 08:50 AM
crd
Always thinkering
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2006
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tushev View Post
Vey interesting I might be a guinea pig for this one.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2010, 08:56 AM
crd
Always thinkering
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2006
1,201 Posts
I found it cheaper on dealextreme.com but doesnt come with antenna

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.33915

RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2010, 09:19 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd View Post
I found it cheaper on dealextreme.com but doesnt come with antenna
*sigh* the antenna is on your TX ... what you need is the extension cable.
Old May 28, 2010, 09:22 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd View Post
^^^^^ I choose 2.4ghz over 72mhz anyday and more now with this mod, I just cant stand the Whip antennas and poor battery life that I have with my old 72mhz TX's.
you do realize that when you use a amp with higher RF power output your battery life is much lower, right? let's do the math ...

100mW output power, consumption maybe around 300mW. 2Wh battery will last 6h.
500mW output power, consumption maybe around 1W. 2Wh battery will last 2h.
2000mW output power, consumption maybe around 4W. 2Wh battery will last 30 minutes.

Given the same battery on your 72 and your 2.4 system, the 2W mod will run your battery low 12x faster than your 72 system. The 500mW will run it low 5x faster. Did you know that a power amplifier costs more than a new battery?
Old May 28, 2010, 09:38 AM
UK
Joined Mar 2009
1,111 Posts
FWIW, I flew out 4900 feet today FPV, on 2 passes, during the same flight. (didnt want to push my luck).
This is on standard Spektrum gear, I'm using the DX6i Transmitter...

Amazingly I came back just in time, as the flight battery was down to 4% capacity, as it landed!!
(OSD WAS displaying Battery meter on the display, but it wasn't decreasing the capacity as it should)!?

Also find it easier landing by FPV, rather than risking removing myself from my cover/laptop display, then attempting to spot the plane by LOS, as its coming in!

Am evaluating a couple of the Spektrum mods discussed here. Will just fly 5000ft (ish) for now, just to ensure range consistency + make minor changes to clean up my video reception.

Trappy: Your feedback is welcome - as it always is. I'm not telling anyone to stop (or reduce) posting, was just saying, Spektrum is an R/C solution being used by individuals for their own reasons. There's no right and no wrong gear to use or not use, we all do our own thing for a reason.
jetstreaming is offline Find More Posts by jetstreaming
Closed Thread