Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 12, 2010, 11:59 AM
Joined Jun 2009
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender707 View Post
Here is the image of the spot I am flying now. The dead end road is the runway, no one really drives on the "main" road, the fields are not fenced or tended, and the wind direction is right for the runway.

No houses nearby or anything else that can be damaged and no reason for anyone to get upset about being people flying there.

From Sacramento, this is off the "Grant Line" exit, one exit after "Elk Grove BLVD".
Was anyone flying at this spot this morning? I drove by on my way to Stockton around 10 and saw a silver truck parked all by itself... Didn't see any planes in the air yet though.
Nickbm3 is offline Find More Posts by Nickbm3
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2010, 12:07 PM
All fly now...
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Dec 2007
375 Posts
Quote:
Here is the image of the spot I am flying now. The dead end road is the runway, no one really drives on the "main" road, the fields are not fenced or tended, and the wind direction is right for the runway.

No houses nearby or anything else that can be damaged and no reason for anyone to get upset about being people flying there.

From Sacramento, this is off the "Grant Line" exit, one exit after "Elk Grove BLVD".
That big dirt pile to the northwest of your site makes for some good sloping
I have several other fields like that out here that work great.

Eric
fishRfly is offline Find More Posts by fishRfly
Old May 12, 2010, 12:48 PM
All fly now...
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Dec 2007
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belem View Post
Lots of fun. As soon as I got it up a Turkey vulture cruise by and looked for lift over the same back top I was working. I followed him around for a bout 5 minutes before he gave up and moved on. There wasn't much lift out there but I did managed to hit one and climb up a bit. Lots of fun. I probably flew for 40 minutes and my pack was only down to 3.89v. Same as the one I ran for 4 minutes in my T-28.
There is a pair of red tail hawks out here that will attack planes this time of the year. Guessing it's a territorial thing related to nesting. It's happened to me 3 or 4 times. They go for them, but so far have never knocked me out of the sky.

The abandoned mall next to that site would be a great place for some indoor flying... To bad it's locked and guarded though

Let me know when you guys will be in the neighborhood and I will see if I can come out and play. I haven't been flying much as of late and need the R&R.

Eric
Old May 12, 2010, 01:07 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
The big dirt pile is sometimes used by some ATV riders, looks pretty cool. I have thought about going up to the hill to fly, but have not checked it out yet. In my FPV film I saw that there is a little pond out next to that hill too, anyone have a pontoon plane?

I will be going out there on Sunday, should get there at 11:30. The weather should be better this week, it would be awesome if some of us could meet up out there.
ender707 is offline Find More Posts by ender707
Old May 12, 2010, 01:16 PM
Joined Jun 2009
252 Posts
my buddy was talking about flying sunday around 1... maybe i can talk him into goin out there. He usually has to bring his kid too, so that may be a little far for him, but we'll see!
Old May 12, 2010, 01:18 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
Nick,

I could not say if anyone was out there thismorning, but a few people do fly out there. One group has a huge red truck, and a guy named Jeff has a silver truck. Some people show up there to walk their dogs around too so that may have been who had the truck too.
Old May 12, 2010, 01:21 PM
Joined Jun 2009
252 Posts
it was a silver truck, pretty sure it was a nissan i think. Thats funny now that ive seen the place in person, i remember eyeing it up before thinking that would be a good spot! lol
Old May 12, 2010, 06:24 PM
All fly now...
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Dec 2007
375 Posts
Quote:
The big dirt pile is sometimes used by some ATV riders, looks pretty cool. I have thought about going up to the hill to fly, but have not checked it out yet. In my FPV film I saw that there is a little pond out next to that hill too, anyone have a pontoon plane?

I will be going out there on Sunday, should get there at 11:30. The weather should be better this week, it would be awesome if some of us could meet up out there.
The pond is a flood control basin surrounded by razor wire. The mound is the excavated dirt from that basin area and is HUGE. The first time I walked out there a county worker pulled up and told me all about it. He said the gate is never locked and said to just drive out there. I have been too chicken to do it though and attract that much attention.

I can give a definite maybe to coming out. Have to check with the wifey on the honeydo list at the end of the week. I have another buddy who I've recently hooked on RC that I'll check with as well.

Here are some of the videos that we have made at our other Sac. meet-n-flies:

Ritewing Gathering in Elk Grove, CA 09/08/07 (6 min 16 sec)

NAC Ritewing All-Up 1 (8 min 33 sec)

Flying RC wings in Elk Grove (6 min 3 sec)
Old May 14, 2010, 11:34 PM
Joined Jun 2009
252 Posts
those wings are nuts! how are they to fly?
Old May 15, 2010, 05:38 PM
All fly now...
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Dec 2007
375 Posts
They are a blast. Fast, agile, tough, and the only way to go IMHO. Oh...and sound great too

Won't be able to make it out to fly this weekend but at some point in the future would love to meet you guys .
Old May 15, 2010, 07:31 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
I will be at the Elk Grove location from the last page Tommorow at 11:30 to fly. If anyone else can make it out there that would be great.
Old May 16, 2010, 09:43 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
Grant Line Exit, Elk Grove CA 16 May 2010 Flights (9 min 17 sec)

Parkzone T-28 Trojan FPV Flight, Aerial footage of a Ritewing (7 min 41 sec)

fishRfly and I got some flying done at the Elk Grove spot today.

It would be awesome to get more people out there on a regular basis to fly. It really is a great spot and there is no shortage of space out there.
Old May 16, 2010, 11:29 PM
All fly now...
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Dec 2007
375 Posts
LOL, that was fun

Great job on the video editing out all my dumb thumb moments with the SuperFly At the same time good job getting the RiteWing Lightning crash in there. Still can't believe what a beating I have given that thing in the last 6 months and it still flies.

That spot is a perfect fling field with wide open pasture land and a paved landing strip for the planes with gear. It would be cool to get a regular group of fliers out every week.

Eric
Old May 16, 2010, 11:45 PM
Joined Jun 2009
252 Posts
HAHAHA dude i got a little scared at around the 6:40 mark... that street light looked like it was heading straight for you! Looks like alot of fun there today, wish i couldve made it.

Ugh, thats two added to my list now... another Trojan, and a ritewing now. What model is that in the video? EDIT: NM, just saw your post about the lightning
Old May 17, 2010, 03:22 PM
All fly now...
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Dec 2007
375 Posts
Yah, the yellow one that I put into the weeds WOT is the 36" Lightning. It flies on rails and good up to 125mph (ish)...mine goes at ~90mph.

The other one is the In Your Face 30" AKA IYF 30. That one flies with HUGE throws and does square corners. Crazy acrobatic

Don't forget the SuperFly. That is a must have