Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:26 AM
Joined Mar 2009
213 Posts
Does anybody know yet whether the AS3X is integrated into the receiver & servo pack such that it's not easily separated for installation in other airplanes ?

I've had 3 separate gyros in a plane and it certainly makes for a maze of wiring and connectors. It will be very nice for the Horizon models if they've got it all integrated together, but not so nice for us if we want to put the unit in some other airplane with our own choice of receiver and servos.

The video gets sort of repetitive after the first few minutes. How many different ways can you say, "makes the plane fly like it's much larger" ? But they are right, because that's exactly what rate gyros do.

I tell people that you're not the only one flying a plane. The wind is putting in its two cents, making the plane do some things that you don't want and don't expect. And the airplane itself does some unwanted motions just because of it's own aerodynamics. It's like trying to conduct a meeting when some of the others won't stop talking. Makes for a lousy meeting and not much gets done. It's much easier if the other folks stop talking and let you do your thing. So it is with flying a model when rate gyros are suppressing all the other "talkers".

Dick
otrcman is offline Find More Posts by otrcman
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:24 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Walkera had that little micro high wing plane with 3 axis gyros and we never saw it released did we?
Walkera is an interesting company when it comes to micro helicopters. Right after that plane was shown by Nitroplanes, they seemed to reorient their manufacturing and design towards kicking out a micro heli (their mainstay) model once a week. It was funny reading all the posts in the Micro heli forum of people trying to make sense of their model names. Thus I think it was just pushed aside so they could do battle with the MSR, and what was then the upcoming MCPx.

If I remember correctly, that Walkera plane used one of their existing flybarless heli receivers.

Anyhow, when it comes to micro heli's...wow they've really stepped it up. Quality though....i still am wary about...

http://www.walkera.com/en1/particular.jsp?pn=X2

Here is a webpage from one of their USA resellers:

http://www.wowhobbies.com/other-airplanes.aspx

I forgot about their little 3 axis gyro rx being sold for airplanes. You would have to use a Walkera transmitter though. It would fit in a HH UM, or UMX with ease, but again quality (like all axis drifting, having to make adjustments every flight...etc...eh).
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Oct 21, 2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:54 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by otrcman View Post
Does anybody know yet whether the AS3X is integrated into the receiver & servo pack such that it's not easily separated for installation in other airplanes ?

I've had 3 separate gyros in a plane and it certainly makes for a maze of wiring and connectors. It will be very nice for the Horizon models if they've got it all integrated together, but not so nice for us if we want to put the unit in some other airplane with our own choice of receiver and servos.

The video gets sort of repetitive after the first few minutes. How many different ways can you say, "makes the plane fly like it's much larger" ? But they are right, because that's exactly what rate gyros do.

I tell people that you're not the only one flying a plane. The wind is putting in its two cents, making the plane do some things that you don't want and don't expect. And the airplane itself does some unwanted motions just because of it's own aerodynamics. It's like trying to conduct a meeting when some of the others won't stop talking. Makes for a lousy meeting and not much gets done. It's much easier if the other folks stop talking and let you do your thing. So it is with flying a model when rate gyros are suppressing all the other "talkers".

Dick
It's probably like their 3 in 1 board for the MCPx. The gyro sensors are just additional tiny chip(s?) on the board. For the UM airplanes, it will probably be incorporated into their servoless AR6400NBL. They state that it is "finely" tuned from the getgo and is not operator tunable. So this is the only issue I would see in putting it in another plane. Especially one that has a different control surface area, and linkage throws - as we all know will affect the overall gain...

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...D=SPMAR6400NBL

The newly introduced AR7200BX is a 3 axis flybarless controller for helis with a Spektrum RX built in.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post19657224

(by the way, I've been flying with the Sbach motor (2500kv) and 180 mah packs for awhile now. Just had to throw that out...lol (like anybody cares). I can do Torque Rolls but only for a few seconds due to the added weight of my mods. I also figured out a way to install an external servo and an additional gyro. The Beast is an awesome design, it easily taught me to fly inverted

Enjoying my UMX Beast (4 min 22 sec)

I'm using a GoPro in the video above, and I hate it. I figured out a way to use off the shelf digital cameras with their mounting system, so check out my other video on it).

When the dust settles after the 1st batch is sold, and the quality issues are rectified, I highly recommend everyone to get the Beast V2. This is an incredible design that was just begging for gyros - to extend flying opportunities. Can't get enough of it....

Oh ya...and pick up "Radio Control Aerobatics - For Everyone". There's nothing you won't be able to do with just a little bit of practice and a little bit of altitude with this plane.
Last edited by Silverexpress; Oct 21, 2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 02:56 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2011
1,421 Posts
Anyone know if you can 'turn off' the AS3X feature / functions from the Tx to try your hand old-school?
idletime is online now Find More Posts by idletime
Old Oct 21, 2011, 04:04 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,383 Posts
No, it can't be turned off. I can't see why you could not replace the board, the motors, and the servos. I don't think the GB racer would be happy though.

Your best bet is to get a used V1 now. Lotsa people are offloading them in anticipation of this new one.
Last edited by Silverexpress; Oct 21, 2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 06:42 AM
Australia, SA, Parafield
Joined Oct 2009
314 Posts
Hi guys, I've got a question for the resident gyro gurus.

I've just got my titan 720gyro off of ebay, and am having trouble getting it to initialise. I'm using a hobbyking T6A radio.

First thing I did was go into the radio's settings, and set all the trims so that it's base position was 0%. I connected the gyro up between my Rx and the ailerons, connected the battery and the plane powers up, the gyro began to initialise, but then the ailerons moved when the radio finally booted up and it seemed to cancel the initialisation.

I read about this problem that someone else experienced with a gyro that was initialising faster than the radio, and the solution was to power up the radio first, then connect the gyro.

Well I've given that a try, and it's still not working. Every time the aileron servos get power, whether it's by connecting the battery, or powering up the Rx first then connecting the ailerons, the servos move one way, the gyro begins to initialise, then 1 second later the ailerons recentre and it seems to cancel the gyro's initialisation.

When I move it close to 100 (which I think is high sensitivity HH mode) the controls seem a bit spongey, but other than that I can't get the gyro to do anything at all. I twist it and shake it and get nothing out of the ailerons at all.

Here's a video showing the prob I'm having:
problem initialising titan 720 gyro (2 min 20 sec)

Is there any advice to be had?
Dillzio is offline Find More Posts by Dillzio
Old Oct 22, 2011, 08:28 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,438 Posts
you need to mount the gyro on something like the plane, or a block of wood or it will be MORE jittery than when mounted in the plane. Loose it picks up all kinds of vibrations.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Oct 22, 2011, 09:17 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,275 Posts
Gyros in a Skysurfer

Here is a simple installation of the low cost Esky gyros in a Skysurfer.

Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:00 PM
Slidell, LA
Joined Oct 2008
171 Posts
Gyro Combination Causing Spins?

Since I have been flying taildraggers I had been flying with gyros on both the ailerons and the rudder (to reduce ground looping), and I have been having trouble with stalls resulting in death spins. Removing the gyro from the rudder (but leaving the gyro on the ailerons) seems to have solved this problem. That is, stalls result in a wing tip droping but don't result in spins. Does anyone know if there is some logical reason why having a gyro on the rudder in addition to the ailerons would increase the potential for spins?

Also, I am currently using Turnigy TG380 gyros and I have to retrim the ailerons for level flight after almost every battery change. Could this be a problem with the gyro that would be fixed by switching to a better (more expensive?) gyro?
swordds is offline Find More Posts by swordds
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:33 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swordds View Post
Does anyone know if there is some logical reason why having a gyro on the rudder in addition to the ailerons would increase the potential for spins?
Pure conjecture: during a stall condition every additional increase in drag and consequent decrease in airspeed is felt particularly keenly. In a tip stall, the weight of the "collapsed" wing is a much stronger force than anything the rudder can muster - there's no way to recover from the asymmetry by just countering with the rudder. The gyro on the rudder doesn't know that of course, so it swings the rudder in violent opposition, thereby bleeding more airspeed, and exacerbating the stall.

Quote:
Also, I am currently using Turnigy TG380 gyros and I have to retrim the ailerons for level flight after almost every battery change. Could this be a problem with the gyro that would be fixed by switching to a better (more expensive?) gyro?
Almost certainly. My TG380 also behaves the same way, plus it seems to vary its midpoint based on temperature, mood, and bob-only-knows what else
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Oct 23, 2011, 12:58 AM
Shut up and talk to me!!
Manila
Joined Aug 2006
286 Posts
Here's how I mount my gyro on the AIL of my scratch built OV-10

The plane w/o gyro is stable enough to be flown on moderate winds but with a gyro it flies even better, landings are superb.

The original design has pusher prop but I opt for a twin engine with differential throttle and since the original motor mount has nothing on it a gyro fits nicely.
deanc338 is offline Find More Posts by deanc338
Old Oct 23, 2011, 06:41 AM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Hey guys, anyone know where to get the Esky EK2-0704 gyro from. Everywhere I look they are out of stock and I cant find any on Ebay (Plenty of the 0704B type but I am told that they will not work for my application). Any information on other similar priced gyros for use on ailerons and elevator on a foamy plane such as the SkySurfer or CloudsFly would be appreciated.
ozair is offline Find More Posts by ozair
Old Oct 24, 2011, 02:15 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,383 Posts
Quote:
Since I have been flying taildraggers I had been flying with gyros on both the ailerons and the rudder (to reduce ground looping), and I have been having trouble with stalls resulting in death spins. Removing the gyro from the rudder (but leaving the gyro on the ailerons) seems to have solved this problem. That is, stalls result in a wing tip droping but don't result in spins. Does anyone know if there is some logical reason why having a gyro on the rudder in addition to the ailerons would increase the potential for spins?

Get a gyro with a remote gain to use on your rudder or you can retain the current one, but add a gws gyro bypass switch. This way you can either lower the gain or bypass the rudder gyro entirely once your flying.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...o_Gyro_JR.html (they also have one that has Futaba connectors)

If I remember correctly, this was mentioned in this thread somewhere. Melnic may have more info on his gyro information webpage....see the first post of this thread.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 02:35 AM
Shut up and talk to me!!
Manila
Joined Aug 2006
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozair View Post
Hey guys, anyone know where to get the Esky EK2-0704 gyro from. Everywhere I look they are out of stock and I cant find any on Ebay (Plenty of the 0704B type but I am told that they will not work for my application). Any information on other similar priced gyros for use on ailerons and elevator on a foamy plane such as the SkySurfer or CloudsFly would be appreciated.
Yep, no one on Ebay seems to carry this anymore. I got mine from a defunct Belt CP.

I have a 0704B and have used it on my Estarter AIL and seems to work just fine.
deanc338 is offline Find More Posts by deanc338
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:13 AM
Australia, SA, Parafield
Joined Oct 2009
314 Posts
Hey guys, I'm still in need of help to get my Titan 720 gyro from ebay to initialise. I'm hoping someone can give me a tip on how to test the thing to see if it actually works or not.

I have fixed the gyro to the wing with double sided tape, and it's still doing the same thing as in the last video. I connect the gyro, it starts initialising, then after about 1 sec the ailerons centre themselves and the gyro light goes out.

I've tried different settings on the sensitivity adjustor, rate mode and HH, and I can't get the gyro to function.

Please help?

MVI 2519 (0 min 59 sec)
Dillzio is offline Find More Posts by Dillzio