Rewind Part 1.mpg (6 min 27 sec)

enjoy!
brokeneck is offline Find More Posts by brokeneck
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2011, 06:22 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,417 Posts
So which one of these is better stock? Better for rewinding?

HXT 2730-3000 $8.53
TGY 2730-3000 $10.78
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Dec 17, 2011, 08:32 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,699 Posts
Have you guys tried the HXM2730-DIY kit motor? That will have the stator bare on arrival and might be better starting point for rewinding:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5344

It look like they charge you 80 cents to not put it together...

There is a thread here with some better photos of the parts and more details:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1547857

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Dec 18, 2011, 01:19 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Those kits were pretty much a pain, Jack, and are probably the old style motors, usually with the blockhead stator. The weird thing about HK is they never did figure out we'd cheerfully pay a little extra for a motor with the windings left off (but otherwise ready to go).

Ultimately they're one of the more byzantine bureaucracies around.

Dave
timocharis is offline Find More Posts by timocharis
Old Dec 18, 2011, 01:37 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timocharis View Post
Those kits were pretty much a pain, Jack, and are probably the old style motors, usually with the blockhead stator. The weird thing about HK is they never did figure out we'd cheerfully pay a little extra for a motor with the windings left off (but otherwise ready to go).

Ultimately they're one of the more byzantine bureaucracies around.

Dave
You're right I'm sure. I was just reading that other thread and thought you guys might be interested. I didn't even realize that HK sold a kit motor until I saw that thread. It looks like it is the same motor that Air Craft in Japan sells:

http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=6376

The Air Craft kit has a nice data sheet linked to on that page and there is a link to the assembly instructions from the datasheet. That is more support and attention to detail than HK uses in the average year...

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Dec 19, 2011, 04:32 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,197 Posts
Have you guys tried the HXM2730-DIY kit motor? That will have the stator bare on arrival and might be better starting point for rewinding:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5344

It look like they charge you 80 cents to not put it together...

Which suggests that their "piece-work" motor winders might be getting 10c-20c to wind each motor!
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:01 AM
Joined Jun 2010
43 Posts
+1 on Lead's question, I have both just don't know what to look for in a motor. Lower kv HXT motor had the windings super glued, I hate that.
scot88 is offline Find More Posts by scot88
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:59 AM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,509 Posts
Scot & LF, the Turnigy wins on both fields. With stock or custom windings, the Turnigy is the better block. It has thinner laminations, and thinner hammer heads which helps get more copper in.

I haven't seen any unglued stators in a long time. I've since given up on having that kind of room... no longer go crazy cleaning out glue... I only pick off the big chunks and accept it for what it is. One more time in case anyone at Hobby King HK Hobbyking (<-crawler friendly ) sees this...

WE WANT Turnigy 2730 KITS PLEASE!!!

Dave, must be they've never heard of us before... another group of rewinders must have been HK's inspiration for the HXT kit... they gave up the hobby a couple years ago I guess.

Cheers,
Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Dec 21, 2011, 05:05 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post
Scot & LF, the Turnigy wins on both fields. With stock or custom windings, the Turnigy is the better block. It has thinner laminations, and thinner hammer heads which helps get more copper in.

I haven't seen any unglued stators in a long time. I've since given up on having that kind of room... no longer go crazy cleaning out glue... I only pick off the big chunks and accept it for what it is. One more time in case anyone at Hobby King HK Hobbyking (<-crawler friendly ) sees this...

WE WANT Turnigy 2730 KITS PLEASE!!!

Dave, must be they've never heard of us before... another group of rewinders must have been HK's inspiration for the HXT kit... they gave up the hobby a couple years ago I guess.

Cheers,
Kev
Thanks Kev.
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:56 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post
Nah. Actually, I hassled them into offering that kit originally. They sold for a while until Shawn bought a 3000Kv model and found out it was dLRK, which is the only reason anyone wanted that kit after we realized they just weren't going to get it right.

What we really wanted (and still want) is an unwound motor with either 14 or 16 mags in the can. But they just couldn't figure that out, even though it would have been easier than what they ended up doing.

Smart company in some ways, amazingly dumb in others.

Dave
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:24 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Hi guys!

So I'm really new to this whole rewinding thing after breaking my only motor yesterday. It was working very irregularly (brand new), and every time I'd wiggle the wires, it would sometimes work.

This is the HXT 24g 2712-1700KV motor. So after wiggling too much, one of the wires snapped. I have a hunch it might have been messed up to begin with.

Now, the trouble I am having is finding info on which AWG to choose, and which style. I've been doing quite some reading since yesterday, and have learned a lot.

I'm trying to get my motor to be 1500KV.

Many thanks, I really appreciate any help/advice.
astronaut is offline Find More Posts by astronaut
Old Dec 31, 2011, 03:21 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
You want to put 11 turns on, ABC of course, terminated Wye. Ideally that should be 25 awg, but for a first wind you should go with 26awg. The good news is that's the most common winding wire around; you might even find someone nearby who has some lying around.

Dave
Old Jan 01, 2012, 08:42 AM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Thanks Dave! I couldn't get 26, but I got 24. Is that alright too? Thank you very much.
astronaut is offline Find More Posts by astronaut
Old Jan 01, 2012, 08:48 AM
I'm overcoming gravity!
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
3,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by astronaut View Post
...I couldn't get 26, but I got 24. Is that alright too?
24awg is thicker than 26awg. It will make your motor more efficient, but the added thickness will make your first rewind a lot more difficult.
Murman is offline Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2012, 10:37 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
near Nijmegen, Netherlands
Joined Feb 2001
10,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by astronaut View Post
... So I'm really new to this whole rewinding thing after breaking my only motor yesterday ...
You could also equally unwind one tooth of each of the three to get enough wire outside of(f? )the motor again. However, less winds means higher Kv (and lower Kt, torque per Ampre).
Code:
N = #winds

Kv_new x N_new = Kv_old x N_old    (product is constant)

ergo
Kv_new        = Kv_old x N_old / N_new
After a complete rewind make sure you connect the three phases in the correct order, beginnings and endings matter very much.
Don't use used wire. Good source for winding wire www.gobrushless.com

Tips, tricks, manuals, instruction videos, checks and test, may save you from frying your newly wound motor and/or controller:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240993

Gelukkig Nieuw Jaar Ron
diy motor tips Drive Calculator
diy motor group Cumulus MFC
Ron van Sommeren is online now Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Jan 01, 2012 at 12:56 PM.