HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:55 PM
KISS_KeepItSimpleStupid
Invercargill, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poporbit View Post
Here's some shots of the mod to access the electronics and battery from the top.

I completed an F15 last week that built up the canopy from 14 copies of the canopy profile. I used that same technique for the F14. This adds 11 grams weight so there is a penalty building this way but it sure looks nice.
That is a great idea. Big thumbs up.
I am building a 100% version after doing a 75% one, and I think I'll try and do the same as you. I too would like to know how you fixed your canopy on, magnets? Though I and a supporter of more mechanical fixing, cut off servo arms make good latches.

Might go one step further and put on a clear canopy with a pilot. Might be a bit OTT but . . . planes don't fly them selves (famous last words )

Well done "Tripn4days", all that frustration payed off. This plane is just too much fun, it must be illegal ! !

cheers all
Phillip C
philkiteflyer is offline Find More Posts by philkiteflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:36 PM
Germany, HE, Oberursel
Joined Nov 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
"A nose heavy plane will fly sluggishly; a tail heavy plane will fly once."
You are so right!

Because of the electronics I tried to have the CG a bit more to the tail. The result was that the plane was not able to fly but to stand still in the air. Thanks to the powerful motor nothing happened!
Borstenhorst is offline Find More Posts by Borstenhorst
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:31 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,683 Posts
We have had some new developments in the servo / wing swing mechanical movement.
poprobit has made an analysis of the mechanical movements in a spread sheet.

This is a terrific step forward in our quest for symmetrical wing swing.
I've included his spread sheet as an attachment here.

When we get a solution that has a best fit for our bird I will make whatever changes are necessary to BOTH
the cut parameters of the parts and the asst diagrams and post them here.

And of course I will make the changes to any part I will be cutting as well.

A big THANK YOU to poprobit for his mechanical analysis and expertise.

Stay tuned for any changes that result form his efforts.

Bob
Hoosier Cutout Service

oops I gues I cannot upload an xls so it'll have to wait til tomorrow.
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:13 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,953 Posts
Oh boy oh boy! Just in time!! I was thinking of a rebuild!!!
rayonnair is offline Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:10 AM
All Thumbs
Joined Jun 2012
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayonnair View Post
Oh boy oh boy! Just in time!! I was thinking of a rebuild!!!
Ditto!
tripn4days is offline Find More Posts by tripn4days
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:12 AM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,683 Posts
I have yet to zip up the Spread sheet from poporbit, however,

This is a quote from poporpbit ...

" Bottom line to all the testing, modify/extend the servo arm on one side by 0.1" (2.5mm) . The longer side goes towards the tail. This gets the error in wing angles to less than 4 degrees and makes it look great."

I've done the Zip and Downloading
I'll go change the WOOD PARTS in CAD and make a new cutting file.

L8r

Bob
Hoosier Cutout Service
Last edited by birdofplay; Dec 08, 2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:46 PM
United States, CA, Aptos
Joined Sep 2012
146 Posts
birdofplay Super, Very good work. I could not figure out how to include the spread sheet in the thread.

The spread sheet may seem a bit intimidating at first cuz there are limited instructions. I knew what I wanted, but wasn't sure how to explain its use. All coordinates and lengths are programmable as well as the servo angles. Currently the spreadsheet has dimensions for the 115% model.

Any questions just send an email or post in the thread.
Poporbit is offline Find More Posts by Poporbit
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:55 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,683 Posts
Yeah I saw that the OK file types were on the left side and ZIP was OK so Ifigured it would be good for a try !
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:09 PM
United States, MI, Sodus Township
Joined Aug 2004
28 Posts
Well, I finally got my servo order, and I finished the plane last night. I'm using one of my older Futaba FM radio sets, and the receiver is too thick to fit into the radio bay in the fuselage, so I removed the case and bent the servo pins over at an angle. Now everything fits nicely under the radio hatch. I guessed where to place the battery, and when I checked, the CG was spot on. I am using tape hinges on the elevons, but I have concerns for their reliability over time, so I will probably change them out for regular hinges after a few flights. I might maiden it today if the weather settles down. Right now it is 38 degrees and drizzling, but the radar shows it clearing. If I do maiden it today, I will get it on video and post it.

*excited*
southwesterntech is offline Find More Posts by southwesterntech
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:42 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,683 Posts
Good luck with the maiden.

A touch of up and an underhand toss is about all you need to go.

Bob.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:51 PM
KISS_KeepItSimpleStupid
Invercargill, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwesterntech View Post
. . . I am using tape hinges on the elevons, but I have concerns for their reliability over time, so I will probably change them out for regular hinges after a few flights. . . .

*excited*
I'm using tape hinges too, and I also had concerns. So I did double sided tape (top and bottom), and then put another layer round the 'prop slot to cover the edge facing the "breeze". Worked fine and have had no problems.

Good luck, and put loads of expo (if you have it) till you get the feel. Watch out for the swept wing rolls . . . they are faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast.! ! ! !

Cheers
Phillip C
philkiteflyer is offline Find More Posts by philkiteflyer
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:23 AM
Fly, dangit!!!
Little Rock, AR USA
Joined Jan 2007
1,050 Posts
Finally maidened mine! It's been sitting on my shelf for quite a while, but I finally got it out on a nice day. I do need to work on the final battery placement, I had a little trouble with getting it to really level out and 'cruise'. Ditto on the swept wing rolls, they're really fast!

Just to recap on my setup, here's the gear I'm using (see post #2888):

Tx - DX6i (I have the wings set up on the gear channel, so it only has fully open and swept.)
Rx - Hobbyking Orange Rx
Motor - Emax 2812 1600kv
Battery - EZ Flite 11.1V 1300mah 30C
ESC - Emax 18A
Prop - 7035 x 3
Servos - Generic 9g (12g metal gear servo on the wings)
RTF weight - 13.3oz

The 3 blade prop worked just fine, although I may try a 7x4 two blade just to see if there is any difference in performance. Sorry the pics aren't great... Now that it has survived it's flight tests, I'll add the decals.

J. B.
Led Zepplin is offline Find More Posts by Led Zepplin
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:47 AM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,683 Posts
Nice contrasty scheme.

My bet is that the 7x4 will be even faster.

Bob
Hoosier Cutout Service
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:53 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwesterntech View Post
....I am using tape hinges on the elevons, but I have concerns for their reliability over time, so I will probably change them out for regular hinges after a few flights....

*excited*
Quote:
Originally Posted by philkiteflyer View Post
I'm using tape hinges too, and I also had concerns. So I did double sided tape (top and bottom), and then put another layer round the 'prop slot to cover the edge facing the "breeze". Worked fine and have had no problems.

Good luck, and put loads of expo (if you have it) till you get the feel. Watch out for the swept wing rolls . . . they are faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast.! ! ! !

Cheers
Phillip C
I used to use packing tape hinges, and then switched to normal hinges. But then I ran into problems with making sure the cuts in the foam were correct and not getting glue in the hinge itself. Finally I started using Blenderm and never looked back. So easy to use and will NEVER peel off the foam, even in brutual summer heat (my garage gets to 120 plus in the summer).

DuBro sells it as "Parkflyer Hinge Tape", or you can order a box of it direct from 3M. I started carrying it on my website too.

http://www.nicohobbies.com/store/ind...roducts_id=235

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:04 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,683 Posts
Pat , I've been to Phoenix !
I think the temps start at 120 around 9 am and GO UP from there !!!

Then again it's ~ 34 here just now brrrrrrrrrrrrr !

Bob