Joined May 2004
5,062 Posts
Careful!
Toy sub controls reversed

Hi guys,

I'm sure everybody has been temped at some point to get one of these:
http://www.banggood.com/Happycow-777...-p-908275.html

I received mine today, put in the batteries and tried it in a small tank;
It was a bit nose heavy, so the props surfaced and made a lot of foam, a little weight on the rear end remedied that.

What was peculiar though, was the fact the position of the control keys was opposite to what the manual said; where you expected left/right (under the right thumb) you had forward reverse.
Where you expected forward/reverse (left thumb) you had left/ right.

Not only confusing, but as the keys for the propellor which pushes the sub down (to be controlled with the index finger), sat on the top of the transmitter above the eledged left/right button, it is virtually impossible to control the sub properly, as the control buttons are now in an ergonomically awkward position.

In regard of the price, I don't intend to return it, so I opened the transmitter up.
It operates on 49MHz, which I believe is illegal in the Netherlands, but who cares, with a range of 5 metres...

I hoped to find two key pads which could switch position, but unfortunately the left/right buttons sat on the main circuitboard, soldered directly onto the traces.

It seems the wiring inside the sub is faulty, I'm not sure I can get to it without damaging the sub, as it seems glued together.

The sub is much quicker than the Graupner U-('Dead Slow')16 (of which two died on me after three-four runs), so I'm thinking of looking into switching the innards of the Happycow sub controller into the Graupner transmitter housing, so controlling it is a lot easier.

Or make a box for the controls in the anatomic correct position and incorperate the battery tray into it.

What do you think?

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Last edited by pompebled; Feb 22, 2014 at 11:22 AM. Reason: addition.
to remove ads between posts