HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:16 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Just got back from the field. I didn't get around to doing the static RPM testing, but I flew the Hyp 500 with the factory prop, and I flew the TP 325 & Hyp 500 with the 5030. I'm editing the video now.

Surprisingly, the factory prop seems to outperform the 5030 in my plane and my flight-conditions. That was definitely not the case with my V1 Sbach, although I know that Bobly & a few others reported that the factory prop outperformed the 5030 in their V1s. I'll let you guys be the judge, once I post the videos. Also, the Hyp 500 is definitely faster than the TP 325, but I think the TP 325 provides better vertical. The CG wasn't bad with the 500 all the way back, but I could definitely feel the extra weight during aerobatic maneuvers and also on approach. However, it will be a great choice for windy days or endurance flying.
Joel

Joel,

Just another reason why I have such high hopes for the new Hyp (2S) 400.

Hyperion says my long overdue B/O should ship on Friday.
You should have one to test before the snow flies.

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:19 PM
United States, KY, Booneville
Joined Jul 2012
407 Posts
I think the Beast is my next micro I love how it looks
medic45 is offline Find More Posts by medic45
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:28 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
I got home and bound the Sbach to my Beast setting copied over. Hit a small park right by the house for one quick flight. This thing is a blast, forgot how much faster this thing rolls than the Beast. This thing is a drill going through the air! It is fast too, definitely faster than the Beast and may be pushing more towards the speed of the Mig. I was flying in less than perfect conditions as the winds were 8mph with gusts up to 14mph and would change directions/speed on you at the drop of a hat. Tried to get some video but it mostly just me talking and very little plane footage. Had another encounter with hawk tonight but this one wasn't as close as the with the Spitfire.

Hopefully more flights tomorrow. Try again for some video.

Really, really love this plane. I was heavy on this sticks tonight as I was trying to rush to the field and all. This plane is way more sensitive than the Beast to inputs, is much faster in overall speeds, and the rolls are ridiculous! I was even touching full rates and this thing was crazy!
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:55 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,575 Posts
Got mine. Guy at LHS said, "Yup, we got 4, sold 'em all!" Then said, "I just had to see your face! I got one here behind the counter for you." Funny guy.

Mine's pretty lethargic. Maybe my Hyperion 240's are tired. I'm going to put a 2300kv/5043 combo in it and see what happens. So... who is going to try 3S in it first? Hmmmm?
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:58 PM
United States, KY, Booneville
Joined Jul 2012
407 Posts
Lol if I had the parts I would...
medic45 is offline Find More Posts by medic45
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:05 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Got mine. Guy at LHS said, "Yup, we got 4, sold 'em all!" Then said, "I just had to see your face! I got one here behind the counter for you." Funny guy.

Mine's pretty lethargic. Maybe my Hyperion 240's are tired. I'm going to put a 2300kv/5043 combo in it and see what happens. So... who is going to try 3S in it first? Hmmmm?
"Mine's pretty lethargic"...

Compared to 3S!!

rc
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:05 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
I got to get this thing mastered with 2S first! I can't imagine doing a snap roll with this thing running WOT on 3S! I have plans of getting there but I need to take some baby steps first. I really forgot how much more responsive the Sbach is than the Beast.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:08 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
"Mine's pretty lethargic"...

Compared to 3S!!

rc
Ha! Hadn't thought of that. No, it won't sustain a vertical climb... lethargic...
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:23 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
Can the gee bee brick be programmed for an as3x sbach build?

J
No need, The Gee Bee uses the same config as the B3D so just drop it in and go!
make sure you place it correctly (aft of the Normal Sbach RX location) so the CG is right.

Quote:
Don't forget about the 2300kv motor with a 5043 prop... also way better than the 2500 on any prop and within a hair of the 3000 combo. The tiny bit I give up in performance is more than made up for by the peace while flying.
Yep almost as much power, however the characteristics are different. The 3000kv and 5030 is more responsive having quicker acceleration and holds power/speed better in high G turns and verticals.
The 2300+5043 has a higher top speed but bleeds speed in high G.
Vertical is unlimited on both with a nod to the 3000 for the instant punch acceleration out of a hover. However both do accelerate on te way up to a dot.

I fly in a very tight space so I prefer the 3000kv. If I had a 600ft+ area I'd probably use the 2300+5043 for the top speed increase. Just make the turns more sweeping and manage the energy.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:28 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,600 Posts
Matt,

I don't have a Sbach 3D...yet.

I do have a couple hundred flights on my 3Sbach/5043.
Had to add a cf rod to the horizontal stab to stop the high speed flutter.

Trust me on this one...
WOT snaps are almost quicker than the eye!
I've caught myself many times, checking to see if the wings were still attached.
These small planes can handle very violent stuff.
I love over-powered UMX planes!!

rc
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:52 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
I can only imagine! I remember when you guys were taking about having to add that CF rod. Pretty crazy that just a little foam can handle being thrown around like that!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:52 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,210 Posts
Quote:

LETHARGIC!!!!! What are you comparing too??? My 2 Sbach 3Ds BOTH climb unlimited vertical ,,,and that's on the E flite 200 25c , can't wait to see what it will do with the nano tech 260 35cs I ordered , and also the 180 nano tech 3s that I ordered as well. This plane is FREAKING AWSOME !!!!!
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:57 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74 View Post
LETHARGIC!!!!! What are you comparing too??? My 2 Sbach 3Ds BOTH climb unlimited vertical ,,,and that's on the E flite 200 25c , can't wait to see what it will do with the nano tech 260 35cs I ordered , and also the 180 nano tech 3s that I ordered as well. This plane is FREAKING AWSOME !!!!!
No sustained vertical for me, even on the 2300kv motor and 5043 prop. It's better, but still sags out.

My battery packs must be dead. I haven't flown my 2S UMX batts in a very long time and I inadvertently left them charged. But even the one stored at storage voltage is weak. I'll have to try the GensAce 450's I got for my 130x just to see if I can get more rpm.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:01 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
I am betther they are giving up the ghost on you. Mine had no lack of power whatsoever.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:11 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
I am betther they are giving up the ghost on you. Mine had no lack of power whatsoever.
Yeah... I'm really surprised. They are well treated Hyperions (except for leaving 3 of them charged) and they're all weak, even the properly stored one. I should try them in my Beast.