HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:20 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,399 Posts
Discussion
A comment on the private sector...

For those that believe that all public services and employees are lazy, inefficient teat-suckers and that private industry walks on water and does it all for the barest amount of coin... just a comment on the latest in our many 'exposure' examples (like the bank scams, LIBOR fixing, miss-selling, failure to deliver goods, forcing the price to be paid up and so forth) of what the private industry can do you for themselves... err... sorry.. you!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/comment/tal...101529854.html

(And I see that the US is lambasting the UK on the LIBOR fixing - what a laugh when they lead the World on industry scams! )
Norman Adlam is offline Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:23 AM
Joined Sep 2010
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post
For those that believe that all public services and employees are lazy, inefficient teat-suckers and that private industry walks on water and does it all for the barest amount of coin... just a comment on the latest in our many 'exposure' examples (like the bank scams, LIBOR fixing, miss-selling, failure to deliver goods, forcing the price to be paid up and so forth) of what the private industry can do you for themselves... err... sorry.. you!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/comment/tal...101529854.html

(And I see that the US is lambasting the UK on the LIBOR fixing - what a laugh when they lead the World on industry scams! )
I very briefly worked in the public sector and I can tell you uneuivicably that this part of your post is spot on.

The only way to have "good" public employees is to have less of them. In fact, a few less than you actualy "need" is the perfect amount.
Gooroo is offline Find More Posts by Gooroo
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:31 AM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Corruption and greed are equal-opportunity employers, be they in the public or private sectors.
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:36 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
Why do they have "white collar prisons"? Is that some deal, you pay into it like an insurance or something, a perk of being a higher up in a corporation?

These folks need to be breaking rocks and digging ditches, pumping out septic tanks, cleaning public restrooms, you know, what the working man does for a living.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:48 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooroo View Post
I very briefly worked in the public sector and I can tell you uneuivicably that this part of your post is spot on.

The only way to have "good" public employees is to have less of them. In fact, a few less than you actualy "need" is the perfect amount.
I also worked in the public sector for a brief time, and I also saw that most of my fellow government employees were opportunist teat suckers, looking for any way they could to get more but give as little as possible to their job.

I think that's what shocked me the most, that is, I had come from a line of various jobs in my youth and saw how a strong work ethic and enthusiasm for the job was normal for the private sector.
Then when I went to work for a short time in the public sector, I truly couldn't believe my eyes, and that experience has shaped my (very correct) opinion of government employees since then.

If I had stayed with it, I could have been retired 15 years ago with a full pension, but selling my soul and having other people foot the bill for it just wasn't my style.
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:54 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
0 Posts
I saw my generation and many following after the vietnam unable to get loans unable to get an education ... just to see foreigners brought in and everything made easy on them

NOT TO MENTION THE FOREIGN MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS MOVING INTO OUR MARKET!!!!!!!!

Now,, I see medical profession run by immigrants and THAT IS WHERE THE NEXT BOOM IS GONNA BE?????????

kma

I'm telling you America is under attack and I'm about had as much as I can take

IT'S ALL MANIPULATED
Piperpi is offline Find More Posts by Piperpi
Last edited by Piperpi; Jul 17, 2012 at 08:00 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:02 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
0 Posts
I BROUGHT YOU HERE FOR A REASON!,, but unfortunately,, you! And your sentimental minds!,, are doing me no good!!

Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:07 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piperpi View Post
I saw my generation and many following after the vietnam unable to get loans unable to get an education ... just to see foreigners brought in and everything made easy on them

Now,, I see medical profession run by immigrants and THAT IS WHERE THE NEXT BOOM IS GONNA BE?????????

kma

IT'S ALL MANIPULATED

Yep,, a forced boom that everybody has to support that destroys Americans while helping the foreigners...
And both parties to make it happen

Wonder if they will make the boomers have long term ilness requiring extensive care also?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:07 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piperpi View Post

kma

IT'S ALL MANIPULATED
Do you come from 100% Amerindian stock. Unless you do there's more than a strong chance that back in your family tree, there are immigrants
Just mentioning it as I am an immigrant worker too.
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:14 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin richards View Post
Do you come from 100% Amerindian stock. Unless you do there's more than a strong chance that back in your family tree, there are immigrants
Just mentioning it as I am an immigrant worker too.
\

Your argument is invalid..
We've been here for 400 years WE BUILT AND INDUSTRIALIZED OUR NATION!!!! just to have it all stolen by fatcat manipulators like mitt romney

Also,, your argument does not address my concerns so please don't sidetrack my valid concerns with your pointless claims
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:21 AM
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post
For those that believe that all public services and employees are lazy, inefficient teat-suckers
Not all ... just most. There are some sectors of the Public sphere that have extraordinary people ... the military and the science/technical fields ... but after that ... it's like they just back fill positions with rejects who couldn't make it work in the private sector. I won't claim to say I know what the public sector is like in other countries ... but my experience here in the states with California, Arizona, Texas and Federal governmnet employees are for the most part less than stellar ... heck ... lest than marginally acceptable.
logan5 is offline Find More Posts by logan5
Last edited by logan5; Jul 17, 2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:20 AM
United States, NC, Surf City
Joined Oct 2003
389 Posts
I grew up in DC, steeped in the Federal culture. The vast majority of Federal workers are dedicated patriots, often eschewing higher-paid work in the private sector because of their desire to serve.
Bob HSG is offline Find More Posts by Bob HSG
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:32 AM
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob HSG View Post
I grew up in DC, steeped in the Federal culture. The vast majority of Federal workers are dedicated patriots, often eschewing higher-paid work in the private sector because of their desire to serve.
DC is the central cespool for Government employees. Perhaps growing up there made you desensitized to it ... but having to travel and work there periodically makes the stench from that place much more pronounced.

Of course ... that's just my opinion based on personal experience ... much like my low opinion of unions are based on my personal experience. Obviously your experience differs.

I guess when you see DC you think of Metropolis ... I on the otherhand see Gotham.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:40 AM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight View Post
I also worked in the public sector for a brief time, and I also saw that most of my fellow government employees were opportunist teat suckers, looking for any way they could to get more but give as little as possible to their job.

I think that's what shocked me the most, that is, I had come from a line of various jobs in my youth and saw how a strong work ethic and enthusiasm for the job was normal for the private sector.
Then when I went to work for a short time in the public sector, I truly couldn't believe my eyes, and that experience has shaped my (very correct) opinion of government employees since then.

If I had stayed with it, I could have been retired 15 years ago with a full pension, but selling my soul and having other people foot the bill for it just wasn't my style.
A slacker wouldn't last a day at DFAS Military Pay division. OTOH, I have seen quite a few people on private sector jobs who didn't pull their weight.
dll932 is online now Find More Posts by dll932
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dll932 View Post
A slacker wouldn't last a day at DFAS Military Pay division. OTOH, I have seen quite a few people on private sector jobs who didn't pull their weight.
There will always be people who don't pull their weight in every work environment. At least in the private world (so long as the person isn't a union employee or a protected minority), management can fire any slacker for cause. That doesn't seem to be the case in the public sphere outside of the military and the science/technical sectors.