Old Feb 03, 2016, 08:36 PM
Find More Posts by hifinsword
Blue Skies
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
2,276 Posts
New Product
WL Toys F959 Electric Sailplane

This is my review of the WL Toys F959 Sky King Electric Sailplane. It uses the 2.4GHz ISM band. It's a 750mm Wingspan 3 Channel RC Electric Glider/Sailplane. It comes in two color schemes, Blue and Red accents on a white background. I believe the intended market is for sailplane beginners such as myself. I got mine from GearBest.com. So far they only have it in a RTF version. A lighted version is also supposed to be available but I have not seen it for sale anywhere at this time.
Link: WL Toys F959 at GearBest

The price was right for a small park flyer. I received mine quickly, within 2 weeks.

OVERVIEW
Electric Sailplane
Wingspan - 750mm
Length - 565mm
3 Channel 2.4GHz ISM band
Price: - $40.58 + $11.48 shp to USA = $52.06
Price: - $56.37 + $11.48 shp to USA = $67.85
Online Retailer, http://www.gearbest.com/
Motor - brush
AUW without battery - 89.9g - stock; as flown with lead weight - 98.8g (listed weight of 58g is wrong)
AUW w/battery - 105.5g - stock; as flown with lead weight - 114.5g
Prop - folding
Construction - EPO foam
Power - 7.4V 2S 300mAh 15.8g LiPo
Recommended CG is 30-33mm aft of wing's LE

RTF Version includes:
Airplane with removable wings & carbon fiber spar for stiffness
4ChTransmitter
2x servos (Elevator & Rudder)
1x 300mAh LiPo with JST-XH balance plug & LOSI (MOLEX 2mm 2P) power lead
Charger with Power Supply (available with US or EU power cord adapter)
Manual

The lighted version is now available at GearBest.com GearBest for $65.85.

See my POST 24 for the weight of each part.

SKILL LEVEL
I started flying helicopters 5 years ago and electric park flyer planes 3 years ago. This is my first ever glider/sailplane. I consider myself an intermediate flyer of airplanes but a newbie with gliders/sailplanes. My first flight with the F959 was a handful the first 2 minutes. After that I got comfortable with the F959's flight characteristics and was able to enjoy about 7 or 8 minutes of fun with this little plane.

There was very little wind. My first 2 attempts at hand launching ended up in nose-overs but the third try was a charm. It just needed a little harder throw and off she went. I also added full nose up trim on the Tx to assist and then trimmed it out once airborne. I think this was due to my placing the battery all the way forward for a nose-heavy configuration.

This is not for a beginner RC pilot new to RC even though it is a very basic sailplane. It is for an intermediate RC pilot of airplanes. A newbie would become frustrated getting airborne I believe. But I have very limited experience with gliders/sailplanes so I may be completely wrong.

NOTE: The CG is too far aft with the stock setup. To move the CG forward, a heavier battery all the way forward and/or some lead in the nose (or a FPV system) may help.

An alternative to the F959 for a beginner might be the FX-805 small plane/glider. It can be found at GearBest.com for $18.28 as of 22 March 2016.

WHERE TO FLY
This glider requires some space to fly. Unless you are an experienced RC pilot, you will need some airspace to enjoy flying this little plane. I flew in the local park well away from trees and people, and was glad I did. If I had taken off near the parking lot or trees, I may well have ended up in the top of a tree or hitting a car during those first few frantic minutes of flight. At just barely over 4 ounces, it would not have hurt anything. But getting it down from a tree is not something I relish.

UNIQUENESS

This plane and many other small planes now seem to come with this MOLEX 2mm 2P connector (LOSI). Micronwings.com Link to the Molex 2.0mm 2P Unless you have a charger able to charge through a JST-XH balance connector, you will be limited to the charger that comes with it.
hifinsword is offline Find More Posts by hifinsword
Last edited by hifinsword; May 29, 2016 at 09:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2016, 09:09 PM
Blue Skies
Joined May 2012
2,276 Posts
F959 Sailplane Assembly

I easily assembled the plane in 5 minutes without reading the instructions. The sailplane is already pre-assembled except for needing the wings attached. It uses a 3mm carbon fiber rod for a spar that is inserted into one wing before inserting that wing into the slot for assembly. The rod with the wing is inserted into the fuselage opening for the wings, and then the other wing is placed on the rod sticking out the other side.

To insert the LiPo battery, the plastic canopy/windscreen must be removed and the foam battery hatch removed. The battery is placed in the cavity forward of the receiver (Rx). Once the battery is charged, you connect the battery to the Rx, and bind to the 4Ch Transmitter (Tx). This procedure is typical of the FlySky protocol represented by WL Toys F9x9 series of planes, the V9xx series of helicopters and the V9x9 series of quadcopters - the battery is connected first, and then the Tx is turned on second in order to bind the Tx and Rx. The foam battery hatch cover is replaced and the plastic windscreen goes back and is held in place with some sticky substance inside the windscreen.

The elevator (ELE) & rudder (RUD) are already preassembled using clevises. On the sides of the airplane are some stickers that read "modle" instead of "model". That's very reminiscent of the V911 "corter" versus "copter". It won't affect the flight ability though.

The manual has the CG at 30-33mm aft of the wing's leading edge. On the maiden flight I placed the battery almost all the way forward for a tail heavy maiden flight. The stock battery cannot be placed far enough forward to hit the recommended CG. With the battery as far forward as possible, my CG comes out at 39mm aft of the leading edge (LE) of the wing. I believe the CG was obtained with a FPV or camera system onboard. A heavier battery or some lead in the nose will achieve the printed CG.

The charger is setup for Chinese or European markets. There was no adapter for the U.S. setup included. That was disappointing, but an email to GearBest had an adapter on its way to me within 24 hours. And a US plug version is now available at GB.

There is a second foam battery cover with a hole in the front of the cover. The manual says this is for a FPV setup.

The manual does not mention anything about setting up ailerons (AILs) as an option that would make the F959 a 4 Ch sailplane. However the rear edge of the wings have the AILs outlined, and it would be easy to cut out the sides to free up the AILs. See the post below on possible Mods.
Last edited by hifinsword; Apr 15, 2016 at 04:12 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2016, 09:15 PM
Blue Skies
Joined May 2012
2,276 Posts
The F959 sailplane Transmitter & Electronics

The Tx uses the FlySky (FS) protocol. It is a advertised as a 4Ch Transmitter. I believe it may actually be a 5Ch Tx. It has the HI/LOW servo ranges on a left side shoulder button and a PHOTO/MOVIE button on the right shoulder which would be a 5th channel I think.

This is similar to the WL Toys helicopters and quadcopter Transmitters that have those type of corresponding aircraft on the face. This one has an airplane on the face to distinguish it from the other two (quad & helo) type Txs. Except for the picture on the face of the Tx LED screen, I believe the innards of all of these Txs are identical.

The LED shows the percentage of movement as you move the sticks. Center stick is 50%. In low rates the values when moving the sticks are from 20% to 80% on the AIL, ELE & RUD and 0 to 100% on HI rates. Throttle is always 0 to 100%.

Just to be sure it is compatible and using the FlySky protocol, I flew my V913 with this F959 Tx and it flew it just fine. It is small but does the job. Any FS Tx should be able to fly this sailplane. I have also flown my F959 with my V913 large WL Toys Tx and my V911 small WL Toys Tx.

The channel sequence is Futaba-based ailerons, elevator, throttle & rudder or AETR, Chs 1, 2, 3 & 4 respectively. Each channel's number is shown left of the value in the LED if it is moved.

The rudder servo is connected on the Rx to the aileron channel. It came as a Mode 2 Tx with the throttle on the left stick and the ailerons (in actuality controlling the rudder) and elevator on the right stick. To bank and turn the plane you move the aileron control or right stick. The rudder channel function of the left stick is not used with the F959.

Electronics
The Rx board has a MOLEX 2mm 2P connector most commonly known as a LOSI connector for power.
LINK HERE

If you wanted to adapt the Connector for another plug, you could purchase one from RC-Connectors.com. LINK HERE

The charger that comes with the F959 uses the standard 2S JST-XH balance connector for charging, not the MOLEX/LOSI power connector. The JST-XH has a 2.5mm pin spacing.
Last edited by hifinsword; Apr 15, 2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2016, 09:20 PM
Blue Skies
Joined May 2012
2,276 Posts
Flight characteristics of the F959

As a newbie to sailplanes, I will have to revisit this post once I have more experience. The first third of my first flight was similar to my first airplane flights, trying not to crash. Once I figured out how she flew, it was fun to zoom around. Because there was little wind, I had to use the motor quite a bit. It was really a powered flight except for the times I went high and drifted back down to a safe but not so perfect landing.

RUGGEDNESS
This plane is so light, sliding into a landing is a non-event. After my not so perfect landing (small cartwheel) I noticed the wings were slightly pulled out after landing. It's something to keep an eye on as the plane gets some time on it. But it's something that could easily be fixed with tape if it becomes a problem.

CG
The advertised, recommended CG is 30-33mm aft of the wings leading edge. I believe that CG was attained with a FPV system or camera installed. I, as well as others, have had a hard time getting the CG below 39-40mm. I can do it only with a 4g weight stuffed in the nose and the battery as far forward as possible.
Last edited by hifinsword; Apr 15, 2016 at 04:15 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2016, 05:13 AM
Blue Skies
Joined May 2012
2,276 Posts
Mods/Additions to the F959

Obviously there are 3 mods that would be contemplated for this sailplane/glider.
1. The 1st is conversion of the brush motor to a BL one.
2. The 2nd is the addition of aileron/spoilerons.
3. The 3rd is the addition of a camera.

BL MOTOR CONVERSION
This would require a new Rx, ESC, and of course a BL motor. I am not familiar with a WL Toys Rx that has a BL motor setup for airplanes. But that would be the ideal product to use if you wanted to continue using the included Tx and FlySky (FS) protocol. If you do not care about using the FS protocol, the possibilities are almost unlimited.

AILERON/SPOILERON ADDITION
Since the aileron positions are already outlined, cutting them loose is not a problem. Hooking up servos would probably require linear servos like the ones found in other micro and ultra micro airplanes. Depending on which version of the Rx, it may have 1 or 2 spare connectors, beyond the AUX connector.

Both versions of the Rx have the 4-pin AUX connector for a camera. Only Version 1 of the Rxs have the 3-pin (RUD/AIL Ch?) connector that is unused. The Version 2 Rx does not have the 3-wire connector that Version 1 has. I think Version 2 is a 3 Channel Rx/brick - Version 1 a 4 Channel Rx/brick. Both versions have the 2-wire connector that would most likely be for lights, since it is only a 2-wire connector.

IOT to use ailerons, the ailerons could be placed on the currently open 3-wire connector, and a Y-harness for ailerons would be used. Setting up ailerons would require using a Y-harness and a programmable Tx would be required to program it to the right stick. Or somehow one could wire the current AIL Channel directly to the ailerons mechanically, but that may be difficult. The RUD would then be paired with a servo and the open servo connector on the brick.

I know the rudder channel (of the Tx) works since I did fly my V913 with the F959 Tx. When flying the F959 you are using the AIL Ch to operate the Rudder. Using spoilerons would require a more advanced Tx with that capability.

The AUX Ch is for an optional camera mentioned in the manual. No camera is shown as a spare part on GearBest's website. I am assuming the 3-wire connector is for the ailerons. I may be wrong.

The Version 1 Receiver board has 4 channels plus the AUX channel.

The Version 2 Receiver board has the AUX channel, 3 control channels (lacking the 3-wire conn found in Version 2 of the brick), and has the 2-wire connector to the motor.

It would take some experimentation and minor surgery to add aileron servos, but it looks fairly straightforward.

CAMERA/FPV
The Rx has an open Channel (4-wire connector) for the addition of auxillary functions. The obvious choice would be a camera with video and picture functions. The included extra battery hatch/cover has a hole for a camera.

Here are some basic cameras that should work. None are pro quality but basic cameras. It is speculation on my part that would operate off the upper right button on the shoulder of the Tx. They would plug into the 4 wire connector on the PCB brick unless you wanted to power it with a separate battery.

1. This one I have used with my WL Toys V222 quad.
2. This one is also a WL Toys model made for a larger quad.
3. This one is made by JJRC and looks very similar to the WL Toys models.

Making the F959 a FPV platform would require a new advanced FlySky Tx capable of FPV, or a totally separate system for FPV.
Last edited by hifinsword; Apr 15, 2016 at 04:47 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2016, 05:20 AM
Blue Skies
Joined May 2012
2,276 Posts
Overall impressions of the WL Toys F959 glider/sailplane

If you just want to grab something small enough to fit in any size car and get some flight time, this is an ideal platform. It inexpensive and easy to fly if you have some RC plane experience. If the wings are removed, it's very compact and could store almost anywhere. Even with wings attached, it has a small footprint.

I would not recommend it for indoor flying. It needs a park size area to fly well. GearBest.com has it in 2 colors. If you already have a FS Tx, this one provides a spare. GB does not carry a BNF model currently but BG does. But having a spare FS Tx around for my WL Toys helos is a plus when buying this RTF model.

My first flight lasted about 7 mins and I still had 30% left in the battery. That was flying on a very little wind day and using the motor quite a bit.

EDIT 2/20/2016: I took my F959 out this past weekend on a windy day thinking I wouldn't have to use the motor quite as much. It was also in the low 20s (Fahrenheit). I wanted to try flying with the battery more aft so I wrapped it in foam to help it stay in place and put it in the larger space just forward of the Rx bay. That is not a good place for my plane and my skills.
EDIT 2/22/2016: See comment 9 below by NDR1968. This AC needs nose weight. Any addition of power caused the plane to loop and there was very little control. I started in the middle of a football field but within a few minutes the plane was headed to some tall trees. I cut all power and tried to glide it in to a safe landing but that was not to be. It took a direct nose down attitude and crunched the nose. I'm sure some epoxy and some rubber bands around it will fix it. I'll be sticking to windless days and moving the battery as far forward as possible on future flights.
Last edited by hifinsword; Apr 15, 2016 at 04:53 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 06:30 AM
Find More Posts by ndr1968
Joined Dec 2015
53 Posts
I've had this as well as the f949 for a month or so now and here are my impressions.

I come to the hobby from quite a while back. I used to design and build my own electric gliders back in the days of 72mhz radio systems and ferric motors and NiCad batteries (read freakin heavy).

I am waiting for warmer weather before I make the final call about how able these two planes are at "thermaling".

The 949 appears to have the lightest wing loading of the two. Already, I have noticed it trying to get up there on the tiniest updraft and it can be trimmed for a really slow descent.

The 959 seems a bit heavy. The wings are too short and could use another full inch of width to improve this. I have ordered an extra set of wings and plan to hack together an extended/spliced wing form for it. I'll get back with the results. If the mod adds too much weight or induced drag for the little motor system, maybe I can rig up some sort of hi start launcher for it. Hopefully not though. This would be an ideal "walk over to the park and play a while" type glider that would be so much better if you could catch a thermal and ride 'er around for a while!
ndr1968 is offline Find More Posts by ndr1968
Last edited by ndr1968; Feb 16, 2016 at 06:38 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 07:47 AM
Blue Skies
Joined May 2012
2,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndr1968 View Post
I've had this as well as the f949 for a month or so now and here are my impressions.

I come to the hobby from quite a while back. I used to design and build my own electric gliders back in the days of 72mhz radio systems and ferric motors and NiCad batteries (read freakin heavy).

I am waiting for warmer weather before I make the final call about how able these two planes are at "thermaling".

The 949 appears to have the lightest wing loading of the two. Already, I have noticed it trying to get up there on the tiniest updraft and it can be trimmed for a really slow descent.

The 959 seems a bit heavy. The wings are too short and could use another full inch of width to improve this. I have ordered an extra set of wings and plan to hack together an extended/spliced wing form for it. I'll get back with the results. If the mod adds too much weight or induced drag for the little motor system, maybe I can rig up some sort of hi start launcher for it. Hopefully not though. This would be an ideal "walk over to the park and play a while" type glider that would be so much better if you could catch a thermal and ride 'er around for a while!
NDR1968, it appears you have both the F949 & the F959. My experience with gliders is limited to the F959 and although very limited, I think you are right about the wingspan as far as it limiting the plane. Longer wings might help with the looping problem I am having on windy days. I look forward to you flight review.
Don
Old Feb 21, 2016, 11:54 AM
Joined Dec 2015
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinsword View Post
NDR1968, it appears you have both the F949 & the F959. My experience with gliders is limited to the F959 and although very limited, I think you are right about the wingspan as far as it limiting the plane. Longer wings might help with the looping problem I am having on windy days. I look forward to you flight review.
Don
Hello,
I just read your previous post. Your ship sounds tail heavy. The plane should hang level when you place a finger nail to either side of the fuse at 33% (about 1.125") back from the leading edge of the wing. I know mine was and I had to add something over a quarter ounce of lead forward of the battery to bring the center of gravity forward.

Also, with these low powered planes and gliders in particular be careful about flying in windy conditions. It can be very frustrating for a new flyer to learn this. I know, you really want to get out there and fly but be patient. Wait for calmer days. Low wind conditions make the hobby so much more enjoyable it's well worth the wait. There's no worse feeling than watching your plane struggle to fight it's way back up wind only to be pushed ever further away from your position. If this happens to you, don't fight it for too long. Bring the plane down as soon as you realize your ground speed has become negative. And if you get it safely down, don't tell yourself "it was only a gust" and keep flying. Pack up and go home and come back to fly another day rather than take a chance on loosing the plane or worse.
Last edited by ndr1968; Feb 22, 2016 at 04:32 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 05:34 AM
Blue Skies
Joined May 2012
2,276 Posts
Flying the WL Toys F959

Yes, my plane was very tail heavy on that flight. I'll be moving the battery forward and adding at least 7g (min size of lead segment from TowerHobbies) of lead in the nose. I could tell the plane was headed in the wrong direction once it left the football field I had hoped to keep it flying over. That's why I purposely grounded it where I did. Unfortunately I didn't have enough control to put it down safely. It's a good thing there was at least a football field's distance to the trees. Although I'm new to gliders, I'm not a total beginner when it comes to planes or helos. I purposely chose to start the flight at the center of the football field and gave myself that safety zone to the trees.

Somewhere here at RCGs I read a list of things that get beginners into trouble. I don't have the list handy but I do remember these 3.
1. Flying in too small a space.
2. Flying in weather conditions beyond your capability.
3. Flying manuevers beyond your capability below a safety zone.

Trying to fly in too small a space was my #1 reason for getting into trouble as a beginner. Even UMX birds and Parkflyers need more space than you would think. Since getting a 1100mm bird for Christmas, I 've joined a club with nothing but a farm around it. I decided flying something that big with any less space is not wise.

Reason #2 has not been a problem, flying in weather conditions beyond my skill level. Since I started using a Lemon-Rx Stab/Rx with all of my planes, wind has not a problem for me. Wind has not been a problem with my helos either, even w/out a stab. But this glider is an all-together different story. Each new AC has growing pains and this is one I need to figure out still. Rather than wind, failing to adjust the CG properly was the cause of the crash with my F959.

Flying manuevers beyond my skill level has been a reason for me getting into trouble. I'm still working on it. Now that I have a large enough field to fly certain manuevers, I think I'll be able to improve my skills though. I've just got to remember to fly them at least 3 mistakes high.
Don
Last edited by hifinsword; Feb 22, 2016 at 05:43 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 09:46 AM
Joined Dec 2015
53 Posts
I see it's not your first rodeo as far as RC goes. You'll do fine.

As for fixed wing aircraft another 'golden rule' is that the best balance between stability and maneuverability comes with a center of gravity at just about 1/3 the cord width back from the leading edge.

Myself, I'm waiting on repair parts and another whole BNF plane so I can get back into the air with my XK-A-600. This is the first 3-D capable plane I have ever flown and your rule #3 got me good! Maybe another rule: "Hot dam! Things can get out of hand in a hurry!"

I sort of blame the gyro stabilization system for getting me complacent and thinking the plane would auto correct out of extreme attitudes. From now on, I will fly it without the gyro stab system on. That way, I know it's up to me to stay out of trouble all by myself!
Old Mar 05, 2016, 09:55 AM
Find More Posts by lorenzo28469
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2016
121 Posts
It looks good and is very cheaper..how it behaves with wind?
lorenzo28469 is offline Find More Posts by lorenzo28469
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 05, 2016, 02:04 PM
Find More Posts by TechTronic9000
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Apr 2015
1,263 Posts
I wonder, if this plane only has 58 grams which is very light, would it be able to fit some camera like the mobius and even a FPV TX ?
TechTronic9000 is online now Find More Posts by TechTronic9000
Old Mar 05, 2016, 03:39 PM
Blue Skies
Joined May 2012
2,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo28469 View Post
It looks good and is very cheaper..how it behaves with wind?
I just fixed mine a few days ago. My last flight was in the wind and I had trouble keeping it from looping. A nose 1st landing split the nose halves apart a little. I epoxied it back. I'm out of town for now. When I get back I plan to fly again, in the wind most likely. The club field always has some wind blowing across it. I added 9g of lead to the nose as far fwd as I could get it. That should help get the CG where it should be.
Don
Last edited by hifinsword; Mar 06, 2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old Mar 06, 2016, 09:28 AM
Blue Skies
Joined May 2012
2,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTronic9000 View Post
I wonder, if this plane only has 58 grams which is very light, would it be able to fit some camera like the mobius and even a FPV TX ?
Even though the motor is only a brushed motor, it has no problem pushing it along. I'm not a FPV guy so I won't be adding a camera. The added weight of a FPV system should help with the CG being closer to correct. But I suspect some lead may still be needed if you use the stock battery. A heavier battery would be a good addition to the setup.
Don

EDIT: 22 Mar 2016
The stock battery is $7.06 at GB.
and
the same battery is $7.69 at BG,

But the best buy is the XK A600 replacement battery HERE. It's cheaper at $6.61 and rated at 25C vs 20C for the F959's stock battery.
EDIT: It's now out of stock and the price is $7.20. Maybe it'll come back down once in stock!
Last edited by hifinsword; Apr 15, 2016 at 04:56 PM.