New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2015, 11:54 PM
Find More Posts by Sam.Cee916
United States, CA, North Highlands
Joined Mar 2014
114 Posts
Cool
Brushless Delta Ray Conversion with Flight Stabilization

I wanted to do something fun with my Delta Ray, this is not the first Delta Ray I've owned, so stock wouldn't cut it.

I obviously wanted to convert over to a brushless set-up, and thought it would be sweet if I was able to involve stabilization, and flight modes similar to the original stock set-up. Since the stock delta uses brushed motors, and a brick(RX board, w/AS3X & brushed esc) I needed to add external ESC's, and some sort of flight controller, or stabilizer, also a receiver.

I decided, since I had plenty of multirotor parts, to use what I had, which is an openpilot cc3d for flight control, 1804 CW & CCW brushless motors, Exceed 12amp esc's, and a frsky x4RSB. Since the CC3D supports SBUS, it was an easy choice. My signal flow is as follows: X4RSB RX connects to the CC3D mainport through SBUS, Elevon Servos go to CC3D ch1 & 2, and Brushless motors both go to CC3D ch3 via a Y adapter.

The CC3D is a great flight controller, I use them as a goto FC for multirotors, and feel the firmware outperforms cleanflight. The OpenPilot GCS is a great piece of software for setting up a FC, and it has a fixed wing option for setting up, you guessed it, fixed wings!! I set up 3 flight modes, to mimic as close as possible the stock AS3X. Unfortunately I am not yet able to get the differential thrust working, as I have not used the fixed wing set-up yet, and am not sure how to set that particular part up, but for now I am happy without it.

I am going to maiden it tommorow, and I am pumped to see how it performs. I am experienced, so I dont need the stabilization, but I really wanted to explore what the delta ray could be if it was brushless, thus trying to have the AS3X like control. I am very pleased with the build, everything went together nicely, and is very clean. I had great places to put the ESC's, ran the wiring internally, and placed the CC3D where the stock brick was.

I am going to report about the maiden flight tomorrow, in the mean time here are a couple pictures to help you see how clean the install went.
THANKS!!!
Sam.Cee916 is offline Find More Posts by Sam.Cee916
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2015, 12:27 AM
Find More Posts by GottaZoom
Up! Up! And Away!
Joined Feb 2014
1,837 Posts
Very nice! Which battery balances this? Can you measure total flying weight?

Any add-on to inside of firewall?

How did you select and which props are you planning to use?

I've got 2204s on the way for a similar project to test differential thrust in my bud's old DR fuselage. I think someone reported in the DR thread they used 1804s and they wished for more power so that is part of why I looked at the 2204s. I may yet kick myself for not getting the 2206s for 6" props, but I wasn't how far out my props will end up for clearance.

Haven't decided on which FC to use but it will probably be a FC150 since it is already paired with an RX for the TX I need to use.

Might want to link this over here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1963305
GottaZoom is online now Find More Posts by GottaZoom
Last edited by GottaZoom; Oct 07, 2015 at 12:48 AM.
Old Oct 07, 2015, 12:39 AM
Up! Up! And Away!
Joined Feb 2014
1,837 Posts
Forgot, for differential thrust my preliminary mixes with motors on throttle plus a 2nd ESC channel (not with a Y) are:

1. 2nd channel to throttle @ 100%

2. Throttle to rudder at xx%

3. 2nd channel to rudder at xx% (first two alone did not work correctly on my first test TX)

This seems to work using servos instead of motors for testing and confirming by using the monitor display. The percentage for rudder will need some testing.
Old Oct 07, 2015, 12:17 PM
Joined Mar 2014
114 Posts
I am running 5030 props for the moment, I chose because I had, will try 6040s too. I am going to maiden it here shortly. I have been able to set cg with both 2s 1600mah, and 3s 1000 mah batteries. There is not any additional build up of the firewall, I was able to mount the motors on the plastic pieces on either side, and ran wires through adjacent channels.
I will get the AUW and post that here FYI.
I really hope to be able to add the differential thrust along with the FC. The CC3D is a great FC with an excellent GUI for Fixed Wing and multirotors. I could tell that there is something to be had in terms of power, but I will know after the maiden! Of which I will report my findings!
Thanks Sam
Last edited by Sam.Cee916; Oct 07, 2015 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Add info
Old Oct 07, 2015, 04:17 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Joined Feb 2014
1,837 Posts
Thanks & best wishes for the maiden!

On the FC150 throttle does not go through the FC and that puts it all on the TX.
Old Oct 07, 2015, 05:10 PM
Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
4,277 Posts
I have 2 wings with Gyros and can fly them in pretty strong wind and they are rock steady. My X5 has an Eagletree Guardian and my TekSumo has a P1 which I love. I have several other aircraft with gyros including a tiny Hobby King Mini Stik that I wanted to experiment with. It flies great in wind too but the gyro takes up half the inside of the plane... lol. A bit like AS3X I guess.
Grantham Kid is online now Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Oct 07, 2015, 05:45 PM
Joined Mar 2014
114 Posts
Well just finished with my maiden, and WOW!! That was sweet! What a solid bird!! It litterally flew as solid as the stock set-up. The CC3D flew great!! I have some video I am going to post when I get home. I am very happy with my results, and will provide the AUW as well.
San
Old Nov 13, 2015, 01:20 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Joined Feb 2014
1,837 Posts
Any update?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:37 PM
Find More Posts by Adamskido76
United Kingdom, Harwich
Joined Nov 2014
2,166 Posts
Crashed it or smoked it is my guess
Adamskido76 is offline Find More Posts by Adamskido76
Old Nov 30, 2015, 02:06 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Joined Feb 2014
1,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamskido76 View Post
Crashed it or smoked it is my guess
Hope not - just no RCG activity since early November. I recently got the smaller Atom version of the CC3D so I hope there will be more on this.
Old Dec 01, 2015, 11:41 AM
Find More Posts by Adamskido76
United Kingdom, Harwich
Joined Nov 2014
2,166 Posts
Defo man I just have a feeling when it goes quiet their is some scratching of heads going on somewhere.....
Adamskido76 is offline Find More Posts by Adamskido76