Old Jul 11, 2014, 07:00 AM
Find More Posts by llambkin
Joined Jul 2014
33 Posts
Mini-Review
S500 Quadcopter frame review

Hey guys, this is my first post here. I haven't seen any reviews for my new quadcopter frame. So here it goes....
I really like this frame, it is VERY strong! In comparison to the other DJI clone frames, this one is of very high quality, and if you get the integrated version, you get the ability to solder your XT60 or T connectors directly to the bottom plate. You also get carbon rods impregnated into the arms, I have heard that some of the cheaper (glass fibre) versions not having the carbon rods in the arms.

All up it is easy to build, and the legs provided are strong, they are a bit floppy when twisting the frame on a flat surface, but they are easy to land on.

The only complaint I have with the frame is that it doesnt have another mounting tray for FPV/camera gear. There are plenty of holes at the front to mount a plate to the frame, but it seems to be a little floppy when I put my GoPro mount on there.

P.S. *****This is NOT the Hobbyking S500 frame, this one came from Ebay*****
VVV Here are the pics VVV
llambkin is offline Find More Posts by llambkin
Last edited by llambkin; Jul 11, 2014 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Added P.S.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2014, 05:57 PM
Find More Posts by wdog
In 1 piece? Not for long...:)
United States, AR, Fort Smith
Joined Jan 2012
302 Posts
Hi, what motors are you using on this rig?
wdog is offline Find More Posts by wdog
Old Aug 24, 2014, 08:12 AM
Find More Posts by llambkin
Joined Jul 2014
33 Posts
Sunnysky 980kv x2212
llambkin is offline Find More Posts by llambkin
Old Aug 29, 2014, 06:30 PM
Find More Posts by pilotonovato
Joined Aug 2011
98 Posts
Nice mate. I have same frame...

How long are you flying with these motors? I have the same motors too. What is you s500 weight?

I am using theses motors in a f450 with 10 inch carbon prop 3s setup. Total weight is 1kg with 2200 battery and i can fly hard for 10 minutes.. This motors is a beast. plenty of power.
pilotonovato is offline Find More Posts by pilotonovato
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:42 PM
Find More Posts by Ante
Joined Oct 2014
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by llambkin View Post
Hey guys, this is my first post here. I haven't seen any reviews for my new quadcopter frame. So here it goes....
I really like this frame, it is VERY strong! In comparison to the other DJI clone frames, this one is of very high quality, and if you get the integrated version, you get the ability to solder your XT60 or T connectors directly to the bottom plate. You also get carbon rods impregnated into the arms, I have heard that some of the cheaper (glass fibre) versions not having the carbon rods in the arms.

All up it is easy to build, and the legs provided are strong, they are a bit floppy when twisting the frame on a flat surface, but they are easy to land on.

The only complaint I have with the frame is that it doesnt have another mounting tray for FPV/camera gear. There are plenty of holes at the front to mount a plate to the frame, but it seems to be a little floppy when I put my GoPro mount on there.

P.S. *****This is NOT the Hobbyking S500 frame, this one came from Ebay*****
VVV Here are the pics VVV

Hi!

Can you please give me the link to the seller on ebay?

Are you still happy with the frame?

Best regards

Andreas
Ante is offline Find More Posts by Ante
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:05 AM
Find More Posts by AhLee
Joined Jul 2014
27 Posts
I am looking for this setup also, but with a reptile layout...
AhLee is offline Find More Posts by AhLee
Old Dec 30, 2014, 02:00 AM
Find More Posts by nabzo
Joined Apr 2013
41 Posts
very nice im actually setting one up soon
nabzo is offline Find More Posts by nabzo
Old Dec 30, 2014, 02:41 PM
Find More Posts by Ipoc78
United States, OK, Chickasha
Joined Oct 2014
630 Posts
I just ordered one my self, in fact should be here tomorrow,
going to be putting the new MiniX on it
Ipoc78 is offline Find More Posts by Ipoc78
Old Jan 02, 2015, 10:24 PM
Find More Posts by tyrell
Joined Apr 2004
190 Posts
Something to watch out for...

Although both HobbyKing versions appear to have Carbon Fibre rods in the arms, the ones on eBay and other Chinese sites don't.

For those sites it seems only the PCB versions have the CF rod (See text "There is a carbon fiber stick in the arm of PCB versions"), and the GF version does not.

Quick way to tell is the versions with Carbon Fiber reinforcement have slots in the arms where you can see the CF rod.

HK are pretty clear in their description that their non-PCB version has a CF rod, and I don't see any complaints... so heres hoping..
tyrell is offline Find More Posts by tyrell
Old Jan 04, 2015, 01:40 PM
Joined Oct 2014
630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrell View Post
Something to watch out for...

Although both HobbyKing versions appear to have Carbon Fibre rods in the arms, the ones on eBay and other Chinese sites don't.

For those sites it seems only the PCB versions have the CF rod (See text "There is a carbon fiber stick in the arm of PCB versions"), and the GF version does not.

Quick way to tell is the versions with Carbon Fiber reinforcement have slots in the arms where you can see the CF rod.

HK are pretty clear in their description that their non-PCB version has a CF rod, and I don't see any complaints... so heres hoping..

Yeah unfortunately for me that something I found out about after I made a purchase on eBay but luckily I ended up getting the right one I wanted with the carbon fiber rod.
The bad thing about getting it from Hobbyking for me anyways it's coming from overseas and it literally seem to take forever to get here, not to mention the shipping is kind of pricey.

This online RC store in my opinion is one of the best they always answer my emails quickly and shipping is extremely quick:
http://www.cnchelicopter.com/

And they do carry the frame with PCB carbon fiber rod for 40 bucks here's a link.
http://www.cnchelicopter.com/qt-s500...e-kit-sk-s500/

I just wish that they sell replacement parts such as arms and landing legs
Old Jan 04, 2015, 01:59 PM
Joined Oct 2014
630 Posts
Here is my s500 as it sets for the moment. The MiniX is a new flight controllers so Im testing it out before I do my final install to the frame.

I'm going to be adding a tarot gimbal and Crab style landing skid and of course fpv camera and video transmitter.
Not really a big fan of the legs they sure are wobbly, but are easy to land on.

I post pictures of my final build once I have all my parts in and after I do additional testing on the new flight controller
Old Jan 05, 2015, 04:50 AM
Find More Posts by tyrell
Joined Apr 2004
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipoc78 View Post
The bad thing about getting it from Hobbyking for me anyways it's coming from overseas and it literally seem to take forever to get here, not to mention the shipping is kind of pricey.
Tell me about it I'm waiting for 4 orders since late December...waiting...waiting...!

I'll check those other sites out. [Removed comments about HobbyKing/Speedpost - although tracking says its still in Singapore, it arrived the next day. Actually quite fast. HobbyKing redeemed!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipoc78 View Post
Here is my s500 as it sets for the moment.
VERY nice setup. It looks well organised compared to most builds I've seen, not messy. Good job, thanks for the pics. . Hopefully I can make mine just as good.
tyrell is offline Find More Posts by tyrell
Last edited by tyrell; Jan 06, 2015 at 03:21 AM.
Old Jan 05, 2015, 12:57 PM
Find More Posts by enorloz
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2013
245 Posts
can i use 4s right?
enorloz is offline Find More Posts by enorloz
Old Jan 05, 2015, 09:02 PM
Joined Oct 2014
630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrell View Post
Tell me about it I'm waiting for 4 orders since late December...waiting...waiting...!

I'll check those other sites out. Definitely will be looking elsewhere after this "Speedpost" debacle... very disappointing HK I've logged a job requesting they correct "Australian Express Channel" to say Singapore Super-Slow Post instead.

VERY nice setup. It looks well organised compared to most builds I've seen, not messy. Good job, thanks for the pics. . Hopefully I can make mine just as good.
Hey thanks!!
I just placed order yesterday for a taranis x9d plus so I'll be able to shuck some of that wiring.
I still have to add to gimbal and FPV camera but shouldn't be too much more wiring than what's already there.
I should have everything done in about a week I'll post more pictures then
Last edited by Ipoc78; Jan 05, 2015 at 09:14 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2015, 09:03 PM
Joined Oct 2014
630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorloz View Post
can i use 4s right?
Yes you can!

I'm running 3s because I have a slew of 2200mAH batteries laying around from my 250 quads, I'm running two packs parallel