Old Feb 11, 2016, 03:07 AM
Find More Posts by adamtoo
Go foam or go home!
Sweden, Norrbotten County, Luleň
Joined Sep 2014
1,114 Posts
Changed up the Skippy again. Wanted to see no foam or FPV cam in Mobius and no foam or Mobius in FPV cam and didn't want to stack Mobius and FPV cam like last time. And removing foam is always funName: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455181611.508099.jpg
Views: 14
Size: 523.8 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455181623.055232.jpg
Views: 14
Size: 511.6 KB
Description:
adamtoo is offline Find More Posts by adamtoo
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2016, 09:19 AM
Find More Posts by ApexpredatorGT
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Nov 2014
3,730 Posts
That is true, I was also considering that I might just launch the skipper close to our destination as I think the 2200 won't really give me the flight time required due to the extra weight resulting in needing more power. Should still be very fun especially seeing the footage. I'm pretty excited, summer needs to arrive already
ApexpredatorGT is online now Find More Posts by ApexpredatorGT
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:17 AM
Find More Posts by Mr.frankenjet
eat, sleep, FLY FLY FLY
Charlottesville, VA
Joined Jun 2005
1,874 Posts
with a 1550 she comes back pretty empty between 5 and 10 min so I think while some have put that much weight in the plane it sounds like you would be short. You could also put a battery monitor/beeper in the plane so you can tell when he is getting low but that too might be hard to hear over a full sized boat, as stated maybe you can always land on the water Looking forward to seeing this one good luck
Mr.frankenjet is offline Find More Posts by Mr.frankenjet
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2016, 02:10 PM
Find More Posts by drambuidhe
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
1,443 Posts
Sounds like a fun idea and hope you succeed.
However , I think you'll need the "good luck," God's watching over you
Firstly, surely your rc boat won't get 6miles on one battery?
Secondly, will the ferry stop to retrieve the boat or plane if you don't succeed?
My beaten up old girl carries around 70g of fpv kit and a Zippy 3s 2200 lipo which is 157g and MAY at a push do 4 miles !
nicktwinnflying (4 min 36 sec)
drambuidhe is offline Find More Posts by drambuidhe
Old Feb 11, 2016, 02:45 PM
Go foam or go home!
Joined Sep 2014
1,114 Posts
Hobby King Skipper/Joysway Dragonfly

Agreed very doable. Flew 8k total on one batt and my plane weighs 960g
Old Feb 11, 2016, 06:21 PM
Joined Nov 2014
3,730 Posts
Thank you everyone for the advice and concerns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drambuidhe View Post
Sounds like a fun idea and hope you succeed.
However , I think you'll need the "good luck," God's watching over you
Firstly, surely your rc boat won't get 6miles on one battery?
Secondly, will the ferry stop to retrieve the boat or plane if you don't succeed?
My beaten up old girl carries around 70g of fpv kit and a Zippy 3s 2200 lipo which is 157g and MAY at a push do 4 miles !https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HUxZ_efTvlM

I always need the good luck rc gods every time I go to the park LOL. The boat will be running 3s batteries in parallel for a total of 16,000 mah. With the right prop and throttle management I'm hoping to get about 15 minutes of run time. I think it might be possible as I can get almost 6-7 minutes of full throttle runs on 6s that draws a lot more amps. If I can cruise around at 30-35 mph I should be able to make the trip

We are renting a boat so I will be able to retrieve a broken down or stranded vehicle.

One thing I'm hoping for is to have a tail wind from the east pushing the skipper to the west. Out in the open ocean there should be a decent breeze and if I can cruise at about 35-40 mph and pace the boat perfect. If not I can pick up a lot of speed down wind and circle around without much throttle. I'm hoping to use the skipper as more of a powered glider. Who knows, maybe I'm over looking some weaknesses in excitement for the trip. Worst case scenario I land and swap batteries.

Also, very nice video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamtoo View Post
Agreed very doable. Flew 8k total on one batt and my plane weighs 960g

What size battery??

Again thank you everybody for the help
Last edited by ApexpredatorGT; Feb 11, 2016 at 08:45 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:59 AM
Go foam or go home!
Joined Sep 2014
1,114 Posts
What size battery??

4S 1800 65C
Old Feb 12, 2016, 07:47 PM
Joined Nov 2014
3,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamtoo View Post
What size battery??

4S 1800 65C
Stock esc is 4s capable or you have a aftermarket esc?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:08 PM
Find More Posts by symowallo
Australia, NSW, Burwood
Joined Dec 2008
605 Posts
Stock ESC is 4S capable.
symowallo is offline Find More Posts by symowallo
Old Feb 13, 2016, 01:32 AM
Go foam or go home!
Joined Sep 2014
1,114 Posts
Stock esc prop and motor
Old Feb 13, 2016, 01:46 AM
Joined Nov 2014
3,730 Posts
I had no idea of this, damn the skipper really is the funnest plane ever lol. I'm going to do a 4s maiden tomorrow

Drambui, where do you have your battery posotioned? I saw your fpv gear was around the nose of the plane and mine tends to be nose heavy easily.

Finally (sorry for all the questions) is there an easy way to install a water rudder?
Last edited by ApexpredatorGT; Feb 13, 2016 at 01:55 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 03:51 AM
Find More Posts by solentlife
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
13,787 Posts
She doesn't need a water rudder unless you fly in strong winds. The control on ground / snow / water is far better than I ever imagined without.

If you really are serious about one ... then do as many kits do - get hold of 450 Heli Flybar paddle which is counter balanced and has screw thread in the end ... a fly bar then cut, glued into base of rudder close to hinge line. Best is to have a permanent wire in rudder and then a grub screw joiner to fit lower wire and paddle. That way you can remove when on ground use.

Go befriend a 450 Heli flyer ... bet he has a few bent flybars etc.

nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Feb 13, 2016, 04:24 AM
Joined Oct 2012
1,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexpredatorGT View Post
I had no idea of this, damn the skipper really is the funnest plane ever lol. I'm going to do a 4s maiden tomorrow

Drambui, where do you have your battery posotioned? I saw your fpv gear was around the nose of the plane and mine tends to be nose heavy easily.

Finally (sorry for all the questions) is there an easy way to install a water rudder?
To be honest I am fairly casual about battery position now.Mind seems to fly comfortably whether the battery is JUST caught by the front strap or up to the front marker point on the tray.
Yes it's a little nose heavy but still just needs throttle to climb (no elevator) .As for a water rudder-- I just have a small extension on my rudder which folds up on contact with any obstacles.
I can't show you since I'm away just now, but its simply a small piece of plastic sheet attached to the rudder with a small nut and bolt and fibre friction washer.
If she's used on water It's simply pulled down for use and folds up on any firm contact.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 07:08 AM
Find More Posts by Lanza
United States, FL, Miami Beach
Joined Jan 2016
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexpredatorGT View Post
is there an easy way to install a water rudder?
Quote:
Originally Posted by drambuidhe View Post
I just have a small extension on my rudder which folds up on contact with any obstacles.
I can't show you since I'm away just now, but its simply a small piece of plastic sheet attached to the rudder with a small nut and bolt and fibre friction washer.
If she's used on water It's simply pulled down for use and folds up on any firm contact.
For the time being I am avoiding wind and choppy water and so far rudder has been enough. I really like drambuidhe's idea, but maybe using a guitar pick.
Lanza is online now Find More Posts by Lanza
Old Feb 13, 2016, 01:59 PM
Joined Oct 2012
1,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanza View Post
For the time being I am avoiding wind and choppy water and so far rudder has been enough. I really like drambuidhe's idea, but maybe using a guitar pick.
Absolutely- that's pretty much the same size and guage of plastic I used.