New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2010, 02:21 AM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
4,141 Posts
Build Log
12S powered "SUPER SABRE" in its 6th year, latest upgrade..

Recently bought one of these and after seeing this huge space under the canopy I decided to fit it with more powerfull set up using 12S4-5000mA. Being larger model I think it will handle the extra weight. I decided to do brief build log, hoping some might find it usefull. I'm well on my way with few pics below to start with, Joe.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Last edited by jofro; Feb 07, 2016 at 01:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2010, 02:49 AM
Find More Posts by Frenche
ooooh yeah
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,823 Posts
I'm guessing this is the FlyFly kit? Looks like it should be a weapon. On the topic of 12s 90mm setups, does anybody think it's worthwhile doing a "low amp" 12s setup? I have some 12s 3000mah 40c cells (well 6s packs wired in series) for my HK600GT heli and wondered if they could also be used for EDF? I plan on using just one 6s pack and the changsun 90mm combo for my Mirage, but might experiment with 12s if it's worthwhile.
Frenche is offline Find More Posts by Frenche
Old Dec 02, 2010, 03:42 AM
Find More Posts by ChrisG23
Joined Sep 2010
254 Posts
Yes, those packs will work fine in a 12s setup, (size and weight permitting). here is a link that may help you configure a 12s system, or decide if its what you need/want. http://www.rc-electric-jets.com/Elec...uidelines.html
ChrisG23 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisG23
Last edited by ChrisG23; Dec 02, 2010 at 03:51 AM. Reason: I was wrong! cut me slack I'm still learniong. LOL
Old Dec 02, 2010, 06:43 AM
Find More Posts by alexandermh
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
517 Posts
Wow, this should be interesting. I am not aware of anyone who has put that kind of power in the FlyFly F-100. There's been a discussion on another thread of just what some extra power would do in that airframe, so please keep us advised. As a note, since the FlyFly F-100 inlet is so limited, with the extra planned power, what are your plans regarding inlet air?
alexandermh is offline Find More Posts by alexandermh
Old Dec 02, 2010, 04:13 PM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
4,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandermh View Post
Wow, this should be interesting. I am not aware of anyone who has put that kind of power in the FlyFly F-100. There's been a discussion on another thread of just what some extra power would do in that airframe, so please keep us advised. As a note, since the FlyFly F-100 inlet is so limited, with the extra planned power, what are your plans regarding inlet air?
Good point, but IMO that huge cheater hole (reshaped) gives me more air then I need. I'm not building this one to brake the speed record, but it will be nice to have some extra power for few verticals and other manoeuvres. Hoping to fly it before Xmas, Joe.
Last edited by jofro; Dec 04, 2010 at 02:06 AM. Reason: spell
Old Dec 02, 2010, 04:30 PM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
517 Posts
Great. Look forward to seeing it all, and don't skip on the details as I have one in a box which I'll be building this winter.
Old Dec 03, 2010, 02:37 AM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
4,141 Posts
Today I did short run testing my thrust tube by enclosing the fan unit with the wing attached only to the rear fuse section. It is scary, I didn't advance throttle to full stick yet, only some 90%. The thrust even on half stick seem to be very impressive. I hope it won't suck in that horrible looking "fish face" air intake on this model! I'm installing in this model my new "DSR2" electric retracts and I have to do lot of mods to be able to access nose steering servo linkage through the cock pit floor before I join the two front halfs together, Joe.
Last edited by jofro; Dec 03, 2010 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Enc. pic.
Old Dec 04, 2010, 02:39 AM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
4,141 Posts
I have fully completed today installation of the nose gear so both front fuselage halfs were epoxied together with ply formers as base for my lipos. Also the new larger formers were installed in the wing for the main landing gear. Before I join the front and rear fuselage I started on some new colour scheme and the undercoat was applied. I was going to do the painting with spray cans but last minute changed my mind due to our wet wheather and decided to do quicker option by hand brush. No messing around with masking tape and peeling off existing coat of paint. This model won't be an entry to scale contest but hopefully reliable and practical plane to fly. Back soon, Joe.
Old Dec 04, 2010, 06:24 AM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
517 Posts
Joe, looks like you are building in some good strength. Are you intending on fashioning any gear doors, not the moving part, but the part which is normally attached to the strut (to reduce drag during flight)? Mark
Old Dec 06, 2010, 03:23 AM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
4,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandermh View Post
Joe, looks like you are building in some good strength. Are you intending on fashioning any gear doors, not the moving part, but the part which is normally attached to the strut (to reduce drag during flight)? Mark
Mark, I' try to keep it as simple as possible, less parts, less problems, Joe.
Old Dec 06, 2010, 04:11 AM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
4,141 Posts
Today have done more work on upgrading El. Made new H/T 3.2mm dio. and longer axis, also reinforced the plain with 2.5mm carbon fibre rods. I found the servo position too close to the moving El. so I had to cut part of foam to be able to clear larger and longer servo arms. I have found this hook up bit tricky so I decided to use ball link clevices on each end of push rod for binding free operation. I wish I have installed my El. servos with the spindles at the rear! Too much work now to change it as I would have to remove the power unit with thrust tube and another problem, my servos are partly epoxied in so sharp knife was easier option. Servo arm have to be very long to clear down El. movement. Painting the fuselage is taking longer then expected due to our wet wheather and to get consistent cover I have to do 3 coates with paint brush by hand! It is comming up nice and bright using white/yellow and navy blue for good contrast. I don't like silver colour models, all you see is grey blob in the sky. Next few days I'm going to join the front and rear fuse together so the model will look almost complete, Joe.
Old Dec 07, 2010, 03:26 AM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
4,141 Posts
Short footage of today's bench run after some reprogramming of my ESC to low timing (0deg) and few other parameters. This unit seem to have just about same power on 1/2 stick as any of my 8S set up on full throttle, so it will be very interesting to see it in fully completed model. I was really scared to advance it to full stick the sound is awesome and after I will install the front fuse section it might sound even more impressive. I was actually more scared for Andy, holding the plane just in case if something blew up! ''Arthur" the bloke who crashed his model on Sunday into the kangaroo and destroying it while landing was trying to stick his fingers into the fan so that scared me also, but that is Arthur. By the way the roo was huge 6 foot male running away without a scratch after the collision, Joe.
P1020116.mp4 (1 min 41 sec)
Old Dec 07, 2010, 12:31 PM
Find More Posts by Eddie P
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
8,560 Posts
Be sure to add some sort of thrust tube to bring the total FSA of the exhaust to about 85 percent. If you are using a 90mm fan that's about 75mm diameter at the exhaust nozzle, vs 85mm for the foam hole in the back.

BTW, what fan are you using? Please tell me at least something that can handle the watts - not the stock one!! The stock one may grenade.
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
Old Dec 07, 2010, 03:45 PM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
4,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
Be sure to add some sort of thrust tube to bring the total FSA of the exhaust to about 85 percent. If you are using a 90mm fan that's about 75mm diameter at the exhaust nozzle, vs 85mm for the foam hole in the back.

BTW, what fan are you using? Please tell me at least something that can handle the watts - not the stock one!! The stock one may grenade.
Hi Edd, You did not read my early posts on this thread, Regards Joe.
Old Dec 07, 2010, 06:05 PM
Find More Posts by Eddie P
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
8,560 Posts
No didn't dig deep at all, as I started to but it wasn't plainly posted so that was that (alloy fan doesn't really show what the exact type is, it may be something random, I don't think "alloy fan" really denotes the make and model?). But I took the time to post the comment
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P